Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

I'm pretty sure automotion it's causing the whole problem, when you turn on the TV it works in the background, but in the menu it indicates that it is off, I'm pretty sure the problem is this feature,
because I can't process a variable refresh rate because UI Interface is 60hz fps but movies, shows, or live streaming is different 24p, 25, 30, or 50 but ui interface of apps is 60fps and that's why problems happen.
When I'm watching youtube from pc if I don't move mouse cursor the problem is not there sometimes for 1 hours but when I moved mouse stuttering is back for few seconds because is mouse and windows interface is 60hz but videos in youtube is 24, 25,or 30 fps.
This does not happen in others tv or monitors but in this tv hapend because have a function "AUTO"motion it tries to fix automatically judder and stuttering but the opposite happens, on the contrary, it causes problems.
The interesting thing is when you turn on the TV and change picture mode example natural mode for few seconds and back to favorite picture mode example FILMMAKERS MODE the problems go away, but when you turn off the TV and turn it on again, the problem returns, then you need to change again picture mode for few seconds.
Whether anyone has tried to turn off motion function from tv service menu and tell what's going on, because I'm sure this one auto motion function causes the whole problem.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure automotion it's causing the whole problem, when you turn on the TV it works in the background, but in the menu it indicates that it is off, I'm pretty sure the problem is this feature,
because I can't process a variable refresh rate because UI Interface is 60hz fps but movies, shows, or live streaming is different 24p, 25, 30, or 50 but ui interface of apps is 60fps and that's why problems happen.
When I'm watching youtube from pc if I don't move mouse cursor the problem is not there sometimes for 1 hours but when I moved mouse stuttering is back for few seconds because is mouse and windows interface is 60hz but videos in youtube is 24, 25,or 30 fps.
This does not happen in others tv or monitors but in this tv hapend because have a function "AUTO"motion it tries to fix automatically judder and stuttering but the opposite happens, on the contrary, it causes problems.
The interesting thing is when you turn on the TV and change picture mode example natural mode for few seconds and back to favorite picture mode example FILMMAKERS MODE the problems go away, but when you turn off the TV and turn it on again, the problem returns, then you need to change again picture mode for few seconds.
Whether anyone has tried to turn off motion function from tv service menu and tell what's going on, because I'm sure this one auto motion function causes the whole problem.

I agree.thats why when you put it into game mode it works,as this turns all motion off unless you turn it on in the game mode settings,it's like it's on all the time.i wonder if the 4k upscaling chip needs it to function 🤷‍♂️

this TV has not one but several problems, it does not work properly because it has preset settings example i use filmmaker mode with pc but if you are in hdmi source set bluray player or hometheater or game console when i chance resolution in my pc to 1080 tv does not change resolution, it still shows 4k because tv hdmi sources preset does not automatically know the resolution, they are preset example bluray for 24hz game console for 60.
like i said i think there are a few problems one of them is responce time i think i normal picture mode responce time is slow and because of that there is problem with judder you can see this mostly in white color, but when you turn it on game mode responce time of tv is fast and problem is gone, I'm not sure if the problem is firmware or processor micro code because the problem is not one tv have a problems with hdmi sources presets, auto motion function, responce time and not remember menu settings because when change picture mode for few second or turn on game mode for few second and back to movie mode problem is gone but when tv turn off and on again problems is return. no need to constantly turn on game mode you can only for few seconds turn it on and then turn it off and there will be none judder or fps drops.

Last edited:
I don't think the problems are in the TV panel because my tv is SAMSUNG GU50TU8079 different than Q models but my tv have a 7000 series panel with Q series features like voice command and other things same software, most likely the problem is in firmware.

If anybody has an engineer booked to look at this judder, you need to get them to see the judder, then engage game mode to show them its gone. Flick back and forth game mode on and off then there is no way they can say the source is the problem.

If anybody has an engineer booked to look at this judder, you need to get them to see the judder, then engage game mode to show them its gone. Flick back and forth game mode on and off then there is no way they can say the source is the problem.
Your correct, just wish I had the chance to show an engineer the problem!.🤣.

One Q60A 2021 Qled reviewer said even with the new processor for smooth playback he noticed sometimes a delay time to time.

here:

So sounds like Samsung engineers are still not aware of this bug or unable to fix it.

Interesting rrp he mentioned $599 in US for the 43" Q60A 2021 TV, in UK its priced £750 which is probably £300-400 too much, maybe brits and europeans are paying that 900million Randsom ship fee.

One Q60A 2021 Qled reviewer said even with the new processor for smooth playback he noticed sometimes a delay time to time.

here:

So sounds like Samsung engineers are still not aware of this bug or unable to fix it.

Interesting rrp he mentioned $599 in US for the 43" Q60A 2021 TV, in UK its priced £750 which is probably £300-400 too much, maybe brits and europeans are paying that 900million Randsom ship fee.

Going by last years Samsung, £750 is probably £750 too much!

I swear (often quite a lot) that things are worse since the March fudge-update. Watching the Monte Carlo tennis on Amazon Prime direct from the internet without any intermediary tech, there's some weird shit going on- the contrast/ brightness changes after a second between different camera shots and what seems to be judder or mass frame dropping. I WISH I'd bought a Sony. My previous 3D Samsung (bought in 2014) was wonderful and faultless and gave me brand overconfidence. This is my TV now whether I like it or not, but I find this glitch immensely annoying. Yes I can flick through the picture modes to ease the problem, but I shouldn't have to and I have to do it EVERY time I change broadcast source. Samsung, but all the notes are wrong...

I swear (often quite a lot) that things are worse since the March fudge-update. Watching the Monte Carlo tennis on Amazon Prime direct from the internet without any intermediary tech, there's some weird sh*t going on- the contrast/ brightness changes after a second between different camera shots and what seems to be judder or mass frame dropping. I WISH I'd bought a Sony. My previous 3D Samsung (bought in 2014) was wonderful and faultless and gave me brand overconfidence. This is my TV now whether I like it or not, but I find this glitch immensely annoying. Yes I can flick through the picture modes to ease the problem, but I shouldn't have to and I have to do it EVERY time I change broadcast source. Samsung, but all the notes are wrong...
Yes agree. As I have it on game mode a lot due to the issues. I think even that has had an impact with brightness dimming. So for instance, when watching a programme that goes from a dark scene to a brighter scene, the tv now takes a second before it brightens. I’ve also had it a few times where it forgets to brighten and the scene stays really dark until the scene changes and it then corrects itself.
I never noticed any of these on the firmware prior to 1497 so must be the firmware causing issue. I did read somewhere that Samsung may have messed about with brightness on new firmware for some EU regulation but not sure if that’s correct or not.

Update version 1497.0 - March 2021

• A bug in ambient mode has been fixed.
  • Adjustments to the EU energy regulations in 2021 have been made.

Update version 1497.0 - March 2021

• A bug in ambient mode has been fixed.
  • Adjustments to the EU energy regulations in 2021 have been made.
Well if Samsung have fundamentally changed the image quality after we have purchased and owned the set by dimming and pumping brightness aggressively, then this TV is no longer performing to the same standard it was at time of purchase. That was the standard we agreed to keep the TV, and expect it to perform at this (albeit dodgy motion) quality. Not reduce performance by changing specifications over the air updates. Its the same as Apple slowing your phone down so you buy another one.

Well if Samsung have fundamentally changed the image quality after we have purchased and owned the set by dimming and pumping brightness aggressively, then this TV is no longer performing to the same standard it was at time of purchase. That was the standard we agreed to keep the TV, and expect it to perform at this (albeit dodgy motion) quality. Not reduce performance by changing specifications over the air updates. Its the same as Apple slowing your phone down so you buy another one.
I don’t understand why a tv that’s already been released has to conform to new EU regulations anyway. If you bought a vacuum cleaner and they then changed the regulations, they wouldn’t stop you using the one you bought.
surely new regulations should be for new equipment made after the date the regulations take affect?

do we think they might update it again at some point to at least fix the terrible delay in dark to bright scenes etc?

they have well and truly screwed these TVs up.

Exactly, why does something manufactured in 2020 have to conform to 2021 regulations!? They just screwing it up on purpose to make us buy another TV (it won't be a Samsung though)

I'm glad others have noticed this as I thought I was going mad !!.the dark to light scence are really bad now.also has any one else still having problems with the built in apps not playing atmos sound through earc on there avr or sound bar.mine only plays pcm mode and no atmos.also if I turn earc off 8t stutters the sound. Only tried on netflix though.so I have to use nvidia sheild. I wish I had never seen 5his fooking tv !!!!!

Might be worth trying to set the brightness on the ambient mode to 35 and see if it stops the dark to light scenes been as bad 🤷‍♂️
I have ambient light mode all set to off as don’t like it changing itself but fingers crossed we get another update soon that helps sort the issue again. Tv is full of bugs and then they go and add more into the mix. Utterly unbelievable.

I may have missed something but I'm sure we left the EU, so why change things?

I may have missed something but I'm sure we left the EU, so why change things?
We may well have left but we will have signed up to loads of legislation before we left.

Plus we have EU area model TVs so we will get the same update regardless of if we actually need to conform to the legislation.

We may well have left but we will have signed up to loads of legislation before we left.

Plus we have EU area model TVs so we will get the same update regardless of if we actually need to conform to the legislation.
Don’t suppose there’s any fix as such for this at moment. Luckily I’m only noticing mainly with extremes. So going from really dark or black screen (with just titles or words on screen) to a brighter scene is where I find the delay of around a second for screen to brighten again. Usually everything else seems ok. I double checked and no eco-setting has been reenabled so tv is doing it as part of latest update I think.

the weirdest bit is when sometimes the tv almost ‘forgets’ to brighten back up the scene so it stays really dark until scene changing a then it seems ok again.

my old tv never had any issues like this. Was just a smaller 4K curved Samsung without HDR so thought I’d upgrade. Why on earth is a premium company like this having so many software problems.

So just been thinking, if I'm always in game mode do I still get hdr 10+ 10 bit or does it get downgraded to 8 bit or less 🤷‍♂️

Was just about to pull the trigger on a 65q80t
Not sure after reading this now !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom