Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

With input signals plus switched off the max input signal is limited to 4k 50/60 8bit yuv 4:2:0 i.e. enough for SDR 4k blu ray but not HDR. With it on your TV on hdmi port 1 accepts 4k 50/60 8bit RGB or up to 12bit yuv 4:2:2. Great it's working for you but not sure how that is having a positive effect unless there is something going on with the conversion to/from yuv 4:2:0 that the cable box will be doing with/without input signal plus set.
To me I think we will all be better off with a black and white sets at least we won’t have to put up with all this faff ,the better they make these so called top end Qled /Oled TVs the more problems there seem to be . My 8yr old Panasonic Plasma had no issues what so ever , I suppose this is what we call progress in fairness that’s all we want to do is switch the tv on and away we go the QT Samsung range is one tv that I won’t be recommending to friends.

With input signals plus switched off the max input signal is limited to 4k 50/60 8bit yuv 4:2:0 i.e. enough for SDR 4k blu ray but not HDR. With it on your TV on hdmi port 1 accepts 4k 50/60 8bit RGB or up to 12bit yuv 4:2:2. Great it's working for you but not sure how that is having a positive effect unless there is something going on with the conversion to/from yuv 4:2:0 that the cable box will be doing with/without input signal plus set.
Yea. I don’t get true HDR with my cable provider anyway. I barely get anything broadcast in 4K (select sporting events, which always displayed flawlessly without stutter). So having input plus selected on this input was pointless anyway. It’s def made a difference with baseball (live cable TV- FIOS). I still see a stutter occasionally but it’s def much much better. It’s def strange that when I set game mode back to auto it automatically reselects input signal plus on input 1 .I’m not tech savvy enough to understand why this helped though lol

Last edited:
Does this problem happen in game mode too? I was thinking about buying the Q90T solely for gaming.

I looked through the thread but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

Does this problem happen in game mode too? I was thinking about buying the Q90T solely for gaming.

I looked through the thread but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.
If you have the patience, this thread is for Q90T users that mostly use it for gaming.

It's a lot of pages to go through though.

Personally, my son hasn't complained with his PS4 but, he is 7. It all seems fine to me but that thread link above has stuff about all different types of consoles, pcs etc and is worth having a cuppa whilst you read. It has some good settings on some pages too. If you are gonna spend that much on a gaming TV, it's worth researching.

The stutter issue for me, only happens on Sky Q broadcasts at certain frame rates. So if you are using it as a TV at any stage linked to Sky Q, I wouldn't bother. I'm in the process of choosing a replacement from another manufacturer.

Good luck.

If you have the patience, this thread is for Q90T users that mostly use it for gaming.

It's a lot of pages to go through though.

Personally, my son hasn't complained with his PS4 but, he is 7. It all seems fine to me but that thread link above has stuff about all different types of consoles, pcs etc and is worth having a cuppa whilst you read. It has some good settings on some pages too. If you are gonna spend that much on a gaming TV, it's worth researching.

The stutter issue for me, only happens on Sky Q broadcasts at certain frame rates. So if you are using it as a TV at any stage linked to Sky Q, I wouldn't bother. I'm in the process of choosing a replacement from another manufacturer.

Good luck.
Thank you. I've been working my way through that thread....slowly :)

Appreciate your reply. I know it can be annoying when people dip into a long thread on something that's been discussed in detail and ask a deceptively simple question!

Currently deciding between the Q90T 65" or LG CX 55". Just for gaming.

Thank you. I've been working my way through that thread....slowly :)

Appreciate your reply. I know it can be annoying when people dip into a long thread on something that's been discussed in detail and ask a deceptively simple question!

Currently deciding between the Q90T 65" or LG CX 55". Just for gaming.
I don't see the CX being an alternative if it's just for gaming. That will be exactly the type of use that promotes burn-in. Even the most ardent defenders of OLED concede that you must vary the types of content viewed in order to avoid burn-in.

I don't see the CX being an alternative if it's just for gaming. That will be exactly the type of use that promotes burn-in. Even the most ardent defenders of OLED concede that you must vary the types of content viewed in order to avoid burn-in.
Thanks, good point. But burn-in is cumulative, so varying content doesn't matter on a technical level: if you play for ten hours in a row or ten one-hour sessions, that creates exactly the same wear on the pixels.

Of course, practically if you're varying content you're likely not doing those long sessions all at once, so it can delay the burn-in in real terms.

John Lewis has burn-in cover for £140, so was considering that.

I havent checked in on this forum for a while and I'm sad to see that people are no closer to getting a solution to this issue. Thankfully I found this forum (thanks for highlighting this issue DaveyBoy) and returned my 55 Q90T within the return window.

I had considered the QN90A but seeing how people had been treated I decided against it irregardless of how much better it may be based purely on customer service.

I ended up getting a Sony XH9505 65 inch new from Costco for only a little more than I paid for a 55 Q90T and to be honest I've not looked back.

The Sony is far from perfect but it works so much better in many ways. Its nice to not have samsung services shoved down my throat every 5 seconds, it works better with my NAS and I've not missed the lack of HDMI 2.1 or the slightly reduced brightness as much as I thought I would. Dolby Vision is also a nice addition. The Sony still has some judder, but doesnt have the specific frame rate changing judder and slow down that the Q90T had and I actually like the motion options they have and have found myself turing them on instead of disabling them outright.

I really hope people have some sort of resolution to this with a firmware update but I fear Samsung wont bother and have already moved onto their 2021 models and they are still the biggest TV manufacturer.

Along with others on this forum I will not be buying any more Samsung products but I doubt Samsung will miss me.

Have any reviews of the Samsung 2021 QLED range tested for this same issue?
Considering they didn’t pick up the 2020 T series judder issues, I wouldn’t pay too much attention to those reviews. Come on this site for honest unbiased reviews of users who own the sets and give them a good testing. Even better if you test in store. In uk can always return it within 28 days if you change your mind.

Considering they didn’t pick up the 2020 T series judder issues, I wouldn’t pay too much attention to those reviews. Come on this site for honest unbiased reviews of users who own the sets and give them a good testing. Even better if you test in store. In uk can always return it within 28 days if you change your mind.
Unsurprising. Not a single review (that I read/saw) for the 2020 QLED range picked up that none can pass LPCM over EARC.

Has anyone shown this judder/stutter problem on video? would like to see it as still considering a 65t

Unsurprising. Not a single review (that I read/saw) for the 2020 QLED range picked up that none can pass LPCM over EARC.
So true. This was the first time I had read loads of reviews from many 'expert' sites. Ironic that I ended up buying my worst ever tv by doing research. Won't be doing that again. Just as well take pot luck as no better informed, more so misled.

So i have a 90t with this issue, was possibly looking to change for the 800t are they effected too?

All q series suffer.but i think there was a fix for the q60t where you press a certain pattern in pic settings .

Had the engineers around, nice guys.

So my TV decides to play nicely, no HDMI drop out and no frame skipping in over 30 minutes. Typical. I sent them images of the fault.

All q series suffer.but i think there was a fix for the q60t where you press a certain pattern in pic settings .
I also have a 60t haven’t seen or heard about this!? Not that bothered as it’s only in the bedroom so not used much, but the 90t needs sorting in the living room. Wish I’d have kept my Q8DN but that had issues of its own and wanted a 75”

Had the engineers around, nice guys.

So my TV decides to play nicely, no HDMI drop out and no frame skipping in over 30 minutes. Typical. I sent them images of the fault.
How did that happen. The frame skipping occurs on lots of content. And the content it occurs on it seems to do it all the time. Always the way though isn’t it.

I also have a 60t haven’t seen or heard about this!? Not that bothered as it’s only in the bedroom so not used much, but the 90t needs sorting in the living room. Wish I’d have kept my Q8DN but that had issues of its own and wanted a 75”
Its somewhere deep in this thread.some one even managed to set it with the smart things app to change it for him when he turned tv on .

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom