Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

Dio

Standard Member
Yeah, I wouldn't get much hopes up over that one.

Interestingly, the iPlayer download of Strictly (which is only 720p) is merely bad rather than the distracting-to-unwatchability mess that it was live last night. Which fits a pattern I've seen that 1080p sources do seem to get a slightly worse dose of this than 720p. Still, I managed to grab another clip, so I've a nice little collection to send to uk.technical tomorrow.

Has anyone managed to test either of my clips to see if they show the problem on a different set yet?

DarrenWBA36

Interestingly, the iPlayer download of Strictly (which is only 720p) is merely bad rather than the distracting-to-unwatchability mess that it was live last night. Which fits a pattern I've seen that 1080p sources do seem to get a slightly worse dos of this than 720p. Still, I managed to grab another clip, so I've a nice little collection to send to uk.technical tomorrow.

Has anyone managed to test either of my clips to see if they show the problem on a different set yet?

DarrenWBA36

With mine when I watch Strictly the problems were mainly with the interviews upstairs. Strangely when they showed any dancing it was okay.
Will try clips later after I run update. 👍🏻

Dio

Standard Member
Yes, the interviews were definitely the worst parts - the clip I've just picked out was from Jason Bell's interview, where over ten seconds it swaps at least five times between 25fps and 50fps and at one point might even jump a frame altogether. That said, I was seeing it just about everywhere on 1080p Strictly at least.

It's a recurring pattern - all these obvious clips I have picked out are basically a "weatherman's view", a head-and-upper-body shot. I'm not at all certain if that's just the place where it's easiest to see or if it's actively triggering the problem. It definitely does happen elsewhere, but it seems by far the most common when it's these direct-to-camera shots.

adampea

Standard Member
Its quite concerning reading this judder issue as I get my Q90T this coming Saturday. I based my judgement looking at YouTube videos and decided the Q90T was for me as it has excellent reviews.

I hope there is a fix for this very soon.. otherwise it will be going back.

Daveyboy1985

Its quite concerning reading this judder issue as I get my Q90T this coming Saturday. I based my judgement looking at YouTube videos and decided the Q90T was for me as it has excellent reviews.

I hope there is a fix for this very soon.. otherwise it will be going back.
Yeah it really would be a great tv if it wasn’t for this issue. I too also based my purchase on watching various YouTube videos and reviews. Not one review I saw mentioned a hint of this issue otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

however, with that said, a lot of programs do not have the issue especially if you watch Netflix and amazon etc but when you notice a program that has the issue, you constantly keep looking out for it and it ruins tv experience.

as previously mentioned though. You can put into game mode which gets rid of this issue but does bring in more blooming etc but is a small compromise to be able to watch a tv program without the stutter.

Dio

Standard Member
I suspect it only appears on UK content, and US content (where reviews will be from) is not having the same problems.

Another alternative explanation is that it only affects a subset of QxxT TVs (e.g. there are 3 different sources for some internal processor and only one of them shows an issue). That one might explain how on earth this managed to get through QA. More nefariously, there's the option that people don't write negative reviews of stuff in case they don't get sent free stuff next time, although I always hesitate to see malice when ignorance or simple cock-up is a more likely explanation.

DarrenWBA36

I suspect it only appears on UK content, and US content (where reviews will be from) is not having the same problems.

Another alternative explanation is that it only affects a subset of QxxT TVs (e.g. there are 3 different sources for some internal processor and only one of them shows an issue). That one might explain how on earth this managed to get through QA. More nefariously, there's the option that people don't write negative reviews of stuff in case they don't get sent free stuff next time, although I always hesitate to see malice when ignorance or simple cock-up is a more likely explanation.
I’m with you both, Not like I just popped into shop & brought the 1st TV I saw. I actually did homework before. Just goes to show these reviews are a waste of time.

smap

Standard Member
In France Hifi forum, i did not see people complaining about stutter yet, so maybe not all sets are plagued with this.
I have both a 80T and 90T and both of them have the

its all of them I have a 80T and 90T both have the issue

TomH7

Standard Member
I’m with you both, Not like I just popped into shop & brought the 1st TV I saw. I actually did homework before. Just goes to show these reviews are a waste of time.
I spent hours trawling through reviews in a bid to avoid purchasing a TV plagued with issues and not once did a review mention the judder issue, very annoying!

The overwhelming majority of reviewers were American which may suggest its a UK issue.

DarrenWBA36

I spent hours trawling through reviews in a bid to avoid purchasing a TV plagued with issues and not once did a review mention the judder issue, very annoying!

The overwhelming majority of reviewers were American which may suggest its a UK issue.
Some really clued up people on here, I’m just someone who likes to watch tele in quality. They are very helpful & in a sort of strange way it’s good that it’s not just you Who has an issue.

Daveyboy1985

Yes majority of people that have the issue are from U.K. although there was one person who was from the US who said they also had the issue on some content they were watching.

DarrenWBA36

Interestingly, the iPlayer download of Strictly (which is only 720p) is merely bad rather than the distracting-to-unwatchability mess that it was live last night. Which fits a pattern I've seen that 1080p sources do seem to get a slightly worse dose of this than 720p. Still, I managed to grab another clip, so I've a nice little collection to send to uk.technical tomorrow.

Just wondering what picture settings you have you TV?

Dio

Standard Member
Clarity and game mode are off. Mild twiddling to brightness, contrast and the like. I shifted the colour tone to warm1, skin tones felt a tad off on the default colour tone. I turned off one of the dynamic contrast options too, since I found with it on anything on a black background (typically credits) was unusually dim.

Long term I would prefer clarity back on - film blur and judder really annoy me nowadays, spent too much time working with high frame rate displays and VR and the 'soap opera effect' people complain about is a learned phenomonon in my opinion - watch HFR stuff for long enough to get over it and you'll never choose to go back to the stomach-churning judder of 24fps film. I had motion plus enabled on my previous UE60Fwhatever. But until this is resolved it's better to avoid any confusion risk by leaving it off.

DarrenWBA36

Clarity and game mode are off. Mild twiddling to brightness, contrast and the like. I shifted the colour tone to warm1, skin tones felt a tad off on the default colour tone. I turned off one of the dynamic contrast options too, since I found with it on anything on a black background (typically credits) was unusually dim.

Long term I would prefer clarity back on - film blur and judder really annoy me nowadays, spent too much time working with high frame rate displays and VR and the 'soap opera effect' people complain about is a learned phenomonon in my opinion - watch HFR stuff for long enough to get over it and you'll never choose to go back to the stomach-churning judder of 24fps film. I had motion plus enabled on my previous UE60Fwhatever. But until this is resolved it's better to avoid any confusion risk by leaving it off.
Wow, thank you, I was expecting you to just say Movie - brightness 38 - contrast 25

told you I just watch tv & know nothing about fps lol

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett