Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

keiran85

I don't know whether to ring Martin Dawes directly and quote the log number I was given tomorrow and get confirmation if they've even bothered arranging an engineer. This is a screenshot of what the guy said, I've had no call, I didn't get a call back originally when I think about it, back in November when I had other issues.

It's been more than 48 hours as it was Sunday when I spoke to Samsung.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803_205531_com.google.android.gm_edit_1825525630551129.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803_205531_com.google.android.gm_edit_1825525630551129.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 207

keiran85

Also that's laughable at the end of that, "avoid face to face contact, for example when opening the door". I'll just put a sign on the door saying it's open so then any scumbag can walk in.

LexLoofah

I will NEVER buy Samsung again, they released a TV on the world market that can't cope at all with 50hz / 25fps content. Their updates are futile. They deny there's a problem. It's one of the worst kinds of corporate blindness I've ever seen, they refute all claims of judder and motion processing faults.
Agree, this is my 3rd QLED purchase, the judder was defeated with motion processing off with the previous sets. I am never buying (anything) with Samsung on it again.

keiran85

Got an appointment for the 16th. They actually rang when I was busy but have booked it for me automatically. They've put me on the cancellation list too, so if any one cancels they'll call and bring it forward.

Fingers crossed the guy drops it 🤣

LexLoofah

Got an appointment for the 16th. They actually rang when I was busy but have booked it for me automatically. They've put me on the cancellation list too, so if any one cancels they'll call and bring it forward.

Fingers crossed the guy drops it 🤣
Chuck it down the stairs and claim on contents insurance!

keiran85

It's in the living room so I don't think that would work. I'll see what the engineer says, hopefully they'll say it's non-reparable.

The email does state the fault as screen and back separation, so maybe it can be fixed. I'm just hoping I don't end up with the issue in other places when they reseat the back.

I've seen a few photos from others with it being on every edge.

Forceflow

Novice Member
I just got the Q60T and would like to help troubleshooting. I don't have access to any sports / similar cable box though. How else can I test this?

scowl

Novice Member
I found this thread by Googling "samsung stutter". I don't own a 2020 Samsung but instead an older 2018 Q8F that had a similar problem and I hope this might help someone here.

At some point Samsung sent a firmware upgrade to my set that caused 4K at 60 frames per second to become unwatchable much like what people describe here. Suddenly it was dropping a frame or multiple frames every few seconds constantly. Unlike the problem described here, 1080p at 60 frames per second still looked perfectly smooth, although 1080p at 120 frames per second had the exact same stuttering effect. I went through all the suggestions here about disabling AMP and using Game Mode but they had no effect at all.

I thought about what could be causing the set to become too busy at random times to display a frame and, well, network activity is random and requires the CPU to drop what it's doing to handle a network packet. Not expecting anything, I reset the network in the menu and didn't reenable it. Would you believe that has nearly eliminated the stutter/frame dropping? If I watch closely I will see a dropped frame maybe once a minute but it's now completely watchable.

I've only gone through about half this thread, but has anyone tried this?

Rev007

I found this thread by Googling "samsung stutter". I don't own a 2020 Samsung but instead an older 2018 Q8F that had a similar problem and I hope this might help someone here.

At some point Samsung sent a firmware upgrade to my set that caused 4K at 60 frames per second to become unwatchable much like what people describe here. Suddenly it was dropping a frame or multiple frames every few seconds constantly. Unlike the problem described here, 1080p at 60 frames per second still looked perfectly smooth, although 1080p at 120 frames per second had the exact same stuttering effect. I went through all the suggestions here about disabling AMP and using Game Mode but they had no effect at all.

I thought about what could be causing the set to become too busy at random times to display a frame and, well, network activity is random and requires the CPU to drop what it's doing to handle a network packet. Not expecting anything, I reset the network in the menu and didn't reenable it. Would you believe that has nearly eliminated the stutter/frame dropping? If I watch closely I will see a dropped frame maybe once a minute but it's now completely watchable.

I've only gone through about half this thread, but has anyone tried this?
I tried the tv with the ethernet cable unplugged and it made no difference to the tv .but thanks for a different angle to try 👍

jacklroberts

Novice Member
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I purchased a Samsung Q90T on April 7th from John Lewis. I received it and I noticed the dirty screen effect. I put up with it for a few months as I couldn't afford another TV. Recently I got a good offer on an LG C1, so I decided to try and get a refund / replacement for the Q90T. John Lewis sent out someone from Martin Dawes and he came out anda said that it needed a panel replacement. The next week. The next week he came out and did the panel replacement but it made the issue worse. I tried to contact John Lewis and they said that they hadn't received a report from Martin Dawes. I called them again a few days later and they still hadn't received a report and said that he would have to come back out to do a final report before going any further. Two weeks ago, I put up the C1 as I wasn't expecting them to come out again. Last Wednesday, he came back out with the Q90T in the kitchen and said that there wasn't anything wrong with it. He took a few photos and left. Last Thursday we called them and they said that they hadn't received a report and they'll call to discuss what's next when they do. This morning they ring and say that Samsung and Martin Dawes has said the TV is up to specification and they'll not be giving me a refund.

So all in all in down £1,000 and I'm left with a faulty TV.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas what I could try?

Kind regards
Jack

Attachments

• 20210719_173922.jpg
    20210719_173922.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 162

Rev007

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I purchased a Samsung Q90T on April 7th from John Lewis. I received it and I noticed the dirty screen effect. I put up with it for a few months as I couldn't afford another TV. Recently I got a good offer on an LG C1, so I decided to try and get a refund / replacement for the Q90T. John Lewis sent out someone from Martin Dawes and he came out anda said that it needed a panel replacement. The next week. The next week he came out and did the panel replacement but it made the issue worse. I tried to contact John Lewis and they said that they hadn't received a report from Martin Dawes. I called them again a few days later and they still hadn't received a report and said that he would have to come back out to do a final report before going any further. Two weeks ago, I put up the C1 as I wasn't expecting them to come out again. Last Wednesday, he came back out with the Q90T in the kitchen and said that there wasn't anything wrong with it. He took a few photos and left. Last Thursday we called them and they said that they hadn't received a report and they'll call to discuss what's next when they do. This morning they ring and say that Samsung and Martin Dawes has said the TV is up to specification and they'll not be giving me a refund.

So all in all in down £1,000 and I'm left with a faulty TV.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas what I could try?

Kind regards
Jack
It's a lottery with the dirty screen panels.its been a problem for years .turning the brightness down to about 30 to 32 helps .also turning local dimming to low helps .not ideal but helps .I would keep on at john lewis and Samsung saying your still not happy .small claims court 🤷‍♂️

scowl

Novice Member
I tried the tv with the ethernet cable unplugged and it made no difference to the tv .but thanks for a different angle to try 👍
And WiFi is disabled?

At least it shows that Samsung doesn't do any stutter testing on older sets either. 4K 60 Hz was perfectly smooth when I bought it then one day months later I turned it on and it was unwatchable. You'd think new firmware would go through suite of tests before release, but then maybe I've been in the software business too long.

Rev007

And WiFi is disabled?

At least it shows that Samsung doesn't do any stutter testing on older sets either. 4K 60 Hz was perfectly smooth when I bought it then one day months later I turned it on and it was unwatchable. You'd think new firmware would go through suite of tests before release, but then maybe I've been in the software business too long.
Yes wifi off. Probably trying to fix to many fook ups all in one go !🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡

RobMcM

I’ve been through (I think) most of this thread and it makes for quite depressing reading. My 2020 Q80T was in the box for ages after I bought it from JL in April at a decent price. When we finally moved house and installed it, I noticed the stutter on OTA TV straight away. Now I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it and it’s annoying.

I’m on v2014.1 according to the tv info display, so am I understanding the thread correctly that there is NO fix for this? Changing picture modes was mentioned?

Out of JL returns window now and (more problematic) SWMBO doesn’t see it / hasn’t noticed and would get super stressed if I point out a problem or start to mess with panel changes etc. So I’ll live with it and enjoy the great pic on 4K Blu-ray, Netflix, Kodi - the stuff I use the most - but a fix would be nice if anyone has anything.

Daveyboy1985

I’ve been through (I think) most of this thread and it makes for quite depressing reading. My 2020 Q80T was in the box for ages after I bought it from JL in April at a decent price. When we finally moved house and installed it, I noticed the stutter on OTA TV straight away. Now I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it and it’s annoying.

I’m on v2014.1 according to the tv info display, so am I understanding the thread correctly that there is NO fix for this? Changing picture modes was mentioned?

Out of JL returns window now and (more problematic) SWMBO doesn’t see it / hasn’t noticed and would get super stressed if I point out a problem or start to mess with panel changes etc. So I’ll live with it and enjoy the great pic on 4K Blu-ray, Netflix, Kodi - the stuff I use the most - but a fix would be nice if anyone has anything.
Hi and sorry to hear you are also suffering the same issue as lots of us on here. Unfortunately no actual fix but pop tv into game mode and that should sort stuttering but picture quality will not be as good.

RobMcM

Hi and sorry to hear you are also suffering the same issue as lots of us on here. Unfortunately no actual fix but pop tv into game mode and that should sort stuttering but picture quality will not be as good.
That's interesting. How much reduced would you say the PQ is on Game Mode? Noticeably or tolerably?

I'll give it a try now but interested in your thoughts.

RobMcM

That's interesting. How much reduced would you say the PQ is on Game Mode? Noticeably or tolerably?

I'll give it a try now but interested in your thoughts.
Just tried game mode but it’s greyed out - apparently it’s only available for external sources, not for the internal tuner. Thanks for the suggestion though!

smap

Just tried game mode but it’s greyed out - apparently it’s only available for external sources, not for the internal tuner. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Try switching the picture mode from movie to natural and back as on some Q80t models that fixed the problem until the TV is turned off and on again. If it works for you just the automate the picture mode switching using a SmartThings automation. Been doing this on my 49inch Q80t for over 6 months now and worked perfectly.

Daveyboy1985

Oh yes internal apps and tuner cannot be set to game mode as it’s external devices only. I have a free sat box I use and don’t use the internal tuner.
regarding picture quality, I would say it causes more banding, can be dimmer when on a screen that’s mainly black (it seems to overly dim rest of screen), colours is a little off as well to my eyes. However, all of that is 100x better than sitting watching a jerky screen.

RobMcM

Try switching the picture mode from movie to natural and back as on some Q80t models that fixed the problem until the TV is turned off and on again. If it works for you just the automate the picture mode switching using a SmartThings automation. Been doing this on my 49inch Q80t for over 6 months now and worked perfectly.
This sounds like a great idea. Alas, I’m having problems, as it seems to me that the SmartThings app will only allow me to change the picture mode once in my automation. I’m setting it up so that when the TV is on and set to “TV” input, it changes the picture more to natural. I then want it to change back, but can’t seem to add any more actions for that TV. Is there a clever workaround that you have found?

The second pic is what I see when I click “add action” to the automation in the first pic. As you can see, Living Room TV isn’t available anymore…

Attachments

• 49F2BB1D-F5E5-48E0-9C5D-944EE6EA4955.jpeg
    49F2BB1D-F5E5-48E0-9C5D-944EE6EA4955.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 106
  • A4C8F8F1-8483-4480-AFBC-5362FD268EAB.png
    A4C8F8F1-8483-4480-AFBC-5362FD268EAB.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 95

smap

This sounds like a great idea. Alas, I’m having problems, as it seems to me that the SmartThings app will only allow me to change the picture mode once in my automation. I’m setting it up so that when the TV is on and set to “TV” input, it changes the picture more to natural. I then want it to change back, but can’t seem to add any more actions for that TV. Is there a clever workaround that you have found?

The second pic is what I see when I click “add action” to the automation in the first pic. As you can see, Living Room TV isn’t available anymore…
Yes you need two different automations just with slightly different delays on changing the picture mode

RobMcM

Got it all set up and working well, thanks! Real test will be telly tonight - hopefully the stutter will be better.

Just out of interest, does it have to be Natural or would a change to any mode and back again have the same effect?

smap

Got it all set up and working well, thanks! Real test will be telly tonight - hopefully the stutter will be better.

Just out of interest, does it have to be Natural or would a change to any mode and back again have the same effect?
I think from memory it has to be natural. No idea why this works but 100% removed the issue for me. Just shows Samsung could at least fix some models via a firmware update.

4xjamie

Although not strictly stutter related, my issue is firmware related I think, albeit I do get really bad stutter when watching terrestrial TV. I have a 65 inch Q95.
Prior to 2014.1 my picture was really punchy and vibrant. After the update the picture was a lot dimmer. I have everything turned up to the max such as brightness and contrast enhancer. All eco settings are off. I have tried all sorts of setting combinations.
The strange thing is if you reset the TV by holding the power button on the remote, the TV is bright for around 10 seconds and then dims. Does anybody else's TV do this?
I contacted Samsung and had an engineer round who said the TV is 'within spec'. After refusing to accept that, they took the TV away and unsurprisingly said it is still within spec. I plan to contact Samsung when I receive it back and use a colorimeter to prove it is too dim.
It is possible the latest firmware that has arrived in the US might fix this issue as it seems 2014.1 is either great or awful depending on your panel.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the above?

Rev007

Although not strictly stutter related, my issue is firmware related I think, albeit I do get really bad stutter when watching terrestrial TV. I have a 65 inch Q95.
Prior to 2014.1 my picture was really punchy and vibrant. After the update the picture was a lot dimmer. I have everything turned up to the max such as brightness and contrast enhancer. All eco settings are off. I have tried all sorts of setting combinations.
The strange thing is if you reset the TV by holding the power button on the remote, the TV is bright for around 10 seconds and then dims. Does anybody else's TV do this?
I contacted Samsung and had an engineer round who said the TV is 'within spec'. After refusing to accept that, they took the TV away and unsurprisingly said it is still within spec. I plan to contact Samsung when I receive it back and use a colorimeter to prove it is too dim.
It is possible the latest firmware that has arrived in the US might fix this issue as it seems 2014.1 is either great or awful depending on your panel.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the above?
I think they did something with the local dimming to try and stop blooming. It's made everything a bit darker and the dimming is slow to react and you can see it changing all the time in dark to light scene's. To make it light you can change the shadow detail up a few .it does my head in these sh*te updates .they carnt sort the big one out though !!.this tv is always going to be within spec with Samsung ,because they have washed there hand of it !!!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Velodyne shipping new MicroVee X compact subwoofer in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG smart TVs now feature Google Stadia service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett