Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)

Daveyboy1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure if there’s a fix so thought I’d question it on here.

just purchased a q90t from Samsung. picture quality is excellent etc. However, when watching freesat or football on now tv etc, I get a strange stutter where it looks like frames drop all of a sudden then it speeds up then will stutter again. It’s most noticeable when camera isn’t moving too much such as when interviewing a player etc.

all processing is off. I have tried turning judder reductions etc on at various levels but nothing helps.

It seems to the 50hz setting which freesat and now tv broadcast at as it’s a U.K. broadcast. Netflix and amazon etc are all fine.

Is this the micro stutter that I’ve heard about and is there a way around it to stop the stutter or is it just something I have to learn to live with?

thank you
---------------------------------
Mod EDIT*

As of 19/10/2020 this seems to be a known issue admitted by Samsung Customer Support. Please see this post.

Symptoms of the issue are intermittent slowdowns/speed ups, also commonly referred to as 'Samsung micro stutter' in previous years. People who've owned previous Samsung TVs state the issue is worse on 2020 models than before since Auto Motion Plus being disabled does not make a difference like it did in previous years. To be clear, it seems the issue relates to undefeatable motion processing exclusively on the 2020 models.

The issue doesn't seem to be dependant on input frame rate, or signal, since users report it also happening when using 24hz material and not only 25/50hz broadcast TV. Although it does seem broadcast TV is worse.

Update 22/10/2020
It seems the issue is present even on 60hz models when being fed a 50hz signal and thus means its unrelated to motion interpolation being forced on. It's probably an inherent fault of Samsung's motion processing full stop.

This thread is for discussing this known issue on 2020 QLED models from Samsung, Q60T and up. I have renamed the topic title accordingly. Please keep the topic on topic for discussion of these models only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just turn off the motion setting, or set them to custom and all at zero. The 50hz setting is well known and overcome...

I just turn off the motion setting, or set them to custom and all at zero. The 50hz setting is well known and overcome...
Hi, I’ve turned all mine off as well. Did that on day one. But issues is still there. How do you mean overcome? Is there a way to fix or is it like this going forward?

what I did notice is that content on now tv that was on catchup and not live worked absolutely fine without any stutter at all. However turning on a live football match introduces this stutter again.

You have to live with it. I notice more on itv etc on Sky q but very rewatch those channels. Netflix Prime and the likes dont have it neither does Sky movies on Q and yes I tried all different motion settings. I have a Q9fn but it's in all the Samsung TV's ive seen.

Just wondered if anyone else was having this issue?
a quick update - I have turned off tv at wall and restarted as well as factory resetting the tv but nothing has helped so far.

BT sport app is fine as is Disney+, Apple TV, YouTube, Netflix and amazon.

So issue does seem to be with content where it’s coming through as 50P/hz.

strange that not all content causes the issue, movies and some shows seem fine whereas other shows and sport especially on FreeSat and Now TV is very bad.
for example, if I put on a golf station on now tv, whilst panning the motion is smooth and as expected. But as soon as camera stops and is fixed on ball, you can see the stutter appear, like the frame rate has taken a huge it and dropped in half. Then once motion on the screen increases,it goes back to being smooth.
I’m completely at a loss as I’ve now tried everything. So I’m wondering and also hoping if it’s the software and maybe with a software update in future it will fix this strange issue.

You have to live with it. I notice more on itv etc on Sky q but very rewatch those channels. Netflix Prime and the likes dont have it neither does Sky movies on Q and yes I tried all different motion settings. I have a Q9fn but it's in all the Samsung TV's ive seen.
Thank you for your reply. Oh ok so you have the issue on a different Samsung tv? I had a Samsung tv previously from 2015 and it was fine on this content.
yes itv I noticed was quite bad when watching BGT and a football game the other eve.
Sounds very much like the issue I have then. What is it? Someone mentioned it could be to do with how tv handles deinterlacing?

Samsung Q60T dropping down to 30fps periodically on 60fps content Sounds like it could be an issue with the 2020 TVs as turning off motion plus on my 2019 Q90R resolved. It would personally drive me mad if I couldn't stop it and i'd be tempted to return if raising with Samsung doesn't resolve.
ELV has this same issue above and their tv is a 2018 model q9fn. From what they’ve said this issue seems the same as mine and cannot be fixed 😔
Yes I’ve turned off all artificial processing on tv and still get this issue that very distracting as hard to enjoy a football game etc when low frame rate and stuttering starts.
I raised with Samsung but they wasn’t aware of any issues. They said they would remote on to tv to check my settings which is pointless as the settings I have are correct as I’ve turned them off and also explained I have played around with settings just to see if a different combination works but turning on only exaggerates even more so all settings are off but no luck.
I also raised with retailer who I bought from and they were helpful but unfortunately wasn’t aware of the issue but did say they would raise it with Samsung as more people that raise the issue may mean that a software updatewill hopefully be released that fixes it. Fingers crossed a future firmware update helps, even if it can’t eradicate it all together.

Never noticed any stutter @50Hz on my Q90R. I have AMP on, but custom tuned. The more I read, the more I believe Samsung's 2020 QLED's are a step backwards. The 2019 models were pretty amazing, but maybe it's just the panel lottery we all have to put up with.

Never noticed any stutter @50Hz on my Q90R. I have AMP on, but custom tuned. The more I read, the more I believe Samsung's 2020 QLED's are a step backwards. The 2019 models were pretty amazing, but maybe it's just the panel lottery we all have to put up with.
The panel I have is actually as perfect as you’d get I think. Just this strange issue but some people with 90R TVs like yourself don’t have the issue but people with other models from a couple of years back do. Hopefully it is just a software update that is needed and it’ll be ok. The tv itself is amazing it’s just this one issue that’s a little annoying.

Reading this.. How stupid is it.. tha samsungs have this problem. While 50 hz is all over on cable tv ??

QUESTION>.. How about sony lcd's ?? And sony oleds.. And other brands,.. lcd's/oleds ??/

Reading this.. How stupid is it.. tha samsungs have this problem. While 50 hz is all over on cable tv ??

QUESTION>.. How about sony lcd's ?? And sony oleds.. And other brands,.. lcd's/oleds ??/
Do you have the issue as well? I still don’t know why some programs broadcast fine and others don’t. Watched some programs on bbc 1 and they were fine and ran as expected then watch another on bbc 1 and a couple of programs on itv and these all suffered with the stutter even though all programs were all on the 50hz. So what within the 50hz broadcast causes the stutter on some programs and not others? Could it be some are interlaced and some are progressive?

no idea if other brands have same. Although I have a Panasonic tv from 2012 and a curved Samsung from 2015 and neither of these had this issue.

hi all, just wanted to add something. i like most of you really hate any sort of judder. i watch american netflix, tubi, etc etc and at times was just unwatchable. to solve this issue i got a nivida shield pro 2019. it has the ability to change the refresh rate on everything it sends out. it even puts the new refresh rate onto the tv for you to see it. its amazing how many programs run at different rates. for me this sorted out any issues i was having and on top of that of course is the nvidia shield is just fantastic at everything it does. it also runs my emby and vpn .

hi all, just wanted to add something. i like most of you really hate any sort of judder. i watch american netflix, tubi, etc etc and at times was just unwatchable. to solve this issue i got a nivida shield pro 2019. it has the ability to change the refresh rate on everything it sends out. it even puts the new refresh rate onto the tv for you to see it. its amazing how many programs run at different rates. for me this sorted out any issues i was having and on top of that of course is the nvidia shield is just fantastic at everything it does. it also runs my emby and vpn .
Thank you for this. However I get no judder or stutter with Netflix or amazon etc. I also have a roku which does a similar thing but adapting to correct refresh rate of the program you are watching and it works as it should but the stutter I get is still there so think it’s an issue with 50hz broadcasts for me

The panel I have is actually as perfect as you’d get I think. Just this strange issue but some people with 90R TVs like yourself don’t have the issue but people with other models from a couple of years back do. Hopefully it is just a software update that is needed and it’ll be ok. The tv itself is amazing it’s just this one issue that’s a little annoying.
I have never suffered from stutter with all my samsungs, numbering 4 from 2002. My tv viewing tends to be freeview and sky and we've owned several sky boxes from skyhd to being an early adopter of skyq with a v1 box which has just been replaced with a v3..

Last edited:
i have the exact same problem and i own new q80t
Yeah, someone one the official Samsung forum has a q90t like mine and they have the issue as well so fact it’s happening on the q80t to me seems like it’s a software issue on the 2020 TVs

I have never suffered from stutter with all my samsungs, numbering 4 from 2002. My tv viewing tends to be freeview and sky and we've owned several sky boxes from skyhd to being an early adopter of skyq with a v1 box which has just been replaced with a v3..
But your Samsung is not one of the T models is it? I think that it must be the 2020 TVs that seem to have something going on in the firmware that is not handling motion correctly on certain content. I just hope they fix it soon as the more people that have the issue means that it might get brought to the attention of Samsung.

No but my reply was to the one about older samsung models having had issues with motion stutter when clearly I have not. You might be correct about the T models, although I don't see that the technology they use is much different to mine. I would check with other forums first to just so as you can verify it is actually a T model issue...

No but my reply was to the one about older samsung models having had issues with motion stutter when clearly I have not. You might be correct about the T models, although I don't see that the technology they use is much different to mine. I would check with other forums first to just so as you can verify it is actually a T model issue...
I’ve checked on the official Samsung forums and as I say one person with same tv as mine has same issue. I really don’t know what’s causing it but my only guess is that it has to be a software/firmware issue. Like you say, your tv doesn’t suffer with it so I don’t think it would be hardware related.

Yes I doubt if there is much difference in the hardware aside from the panel maybe. I'll take a look at the specs when I have the time...

I have this issue on my Q95T, when viewing Sky Q. It is annoying. The stutter is random. All motion settings off, including film mode.

I have this issue on my Q95T, when viewing Sky Q. It is annoying. The stutter is random. All motion settings off, including film mode.
Just got to hope for an update and that it fixes the issue for us.

Well hopefully, but I am not sure if Samsung are aware or have acknowledged it.
I have contacted Samsung about it but they said they were unaware of an issue so I then contacted Richer Sounds and they said same but that they would inform Samsung directly of this as the more customers that highlight it then the better chance of it being fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom