Samsung 2016 TVs - UK Catch-up TV Apps unavailable

Chr1sB

Standard Member
Reaction score
For anyone considering buying a new Samsung TV from their 2016 range just be aware that at the time of writing this thread, none of the UK catch-up TV apps are available.

Samsung say: "Samsung is working hard with the application providers to make sure they perform at their very best for our mutual customers. This process takes time but ensures Samsung’s TIZEN Smart TV platform delivers these services in the highest possible quality.
.....I am sorry but we also don't have the time frame as to when it will become available but we are doing our best to resolve it as soon as possible. We apologise for the delay, but are confident once released our customers will appreciate the stringent research and development both Samsung and the service providers have invested in delivering these important UK Catch up services to Samsung customers."

The BBC say: "I’m afraid I can’t give an exact date for when 2016 Samsung TVs will become certified for iPlayer. We do expect them to, but we’re still negotiating with Samsung at the moment. Once these negotiations are completed, iPlayer should be fully available shortly after."

well thats bullshit, now im wondering why i returned the sony and got the samsung ju6400

damnnnnn

I bought a ue55ks6470 a week ago. No catch-ups at all. Also the TV keeps turning itself on! Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else actually got a 6000 series with catch-ups installed. Bit disappointed with telly at the moment to be honest!

well thats bullsh*t, now im wondering why i returned the sony and got the samsung ju6400

damnnnnn

@chaz206

The JU6400 (2015 TV) has the full range of UK TV catch up apps. I'm confused by your statement, the JU6400 is a 2015 TV and this thread is about 2016 KS TV's!

John.

I recently purchased a UE32K5500 after some careful consideration of all the different Smart TVs available. Imagine my disappointment to find no CatchUp TV such as iPlayer and ITV Hub. I too have contacted Samsung and got the same lame excuse. Surely someone at Samsung should have seen this problem coming. I notice that Samsung are still advertising that their Smart TVs can receive these CatchUp apps. The company I purchased the TV from had no idea that this is a problem. Samsung suggested I send the TV back for a refund, as I'm within the 28 days of purchase. Doesn't sound like they're confident of resolving this issue any time soon !

Exactly the same thing happened last year with the JS series. The problem is that Samsung are wholly reliant on ITV and BBC to tailor their catchup services for the updated software platform the KS series run. It does beg the question however, that given that they had the same issue last year, why didn't they take steps to ensure that both services were 'modified" prior to the release of the 2016 model range?

Exactly the same thing happened last year with the JS series. The problem is that Samsung are wholly reliant on ITV and BBC to tailor their catchup services for the updated software platform the KS series run. It does beg the question however, that given that they had the same issue last year, why didn't they take steps to ensure that both services were 'modified" prior to the release of the 2016 model range?

Yup it's great isn't it. Those of us with 2015 series TV's know only too well how frustrating it is having waited over six months for all the UK TV catch up apps to appear on our TV's :(.

The problem is if you write a new app, or modify or change an existing app, you have to submit it to Samsung for testing before Samsung will release it in the Smart Hub.

So the developer has to create (or modify) their app, and Samsung have to test and certify it before it gets released. It would be unkind of me to speculate where the problem might be. :)

Here is the guide for developers.

John.

Could you add on demand channels into a Plex server and watch them using the Plex app? Surprised there's a Plex app and not the major broadcasters.

Ive tried launching the iplayer in the web browser (in my just delivered 40K6300 this morning, so I'm already disappointed) and it loaded but ran slowly. Not sure if I should return the TV or wait...?

cheers

simon

I've been able to use BBC iplayer in the web browser on my UE55KU6400 and it works fine once the program is running but not the same as using the proper app.

Could you add on demand channels into a Plex server and watch them using the Plex app? Surprised there's a Plex app and not the major broadcasters.

Hello @Kallb123 ,

Yes BBC iPlayer is available in Plex channels (but none of the other UK catch up services are :(), and it works just fine if you add it to your PMS. You can then access iPlayer from within the Plex app on the TV.

All the catch up apps are available online and should run in the TV's Web Browser without problem. I would recommend connecting your TV with an Ethernet cable rather than via wireless, since this will give a more stable connection.

Hope this helps everyone until the native catch up apps appear.

John.

My 2016 Samsung updated yesterday and BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport and BBC news is now operational.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mike. Hopefully mine will update soon, may I ask what software version you now have? Mine is 1111, hopefully yours is something in advance of that!

Thanks so much, I'm still on version 1111 but iPlayer has appeared! Seems available apps don't depend on software version? Just waiting for other catch-ups, then I'll feel I've got what I was promised and paid for!

I'm also still on version 1111 and iPlayer is now available but it doesn't work correctly :-(
Soon after starting to watch a programme on iPlayer an error box appears saying "Something went wrong playing this programme." The programme then stops playing. I've tried doing a manual software update but it says that I'm running the latest version already.

I'm having the same problem with bbc iplayer on my ku6400, programme starts then 5 seconds later error box pops up saying "Something went wrong playing this programme" error code 02100. Tried the beta as well to no avail. I'm on software version 1111. It's not my network because i have lots of devices with bbc iplayer and all of them work on the same wifi network. Changed the DNS also to Googles DNS and that didn't work, nor did resetting the TV. Has to be a bug on Samsung/BBC end.

Mine is a KU6400 as well. Wonder if it's just this model that has this issue.

I called samsung customer support, they carried out remote troubleshooting, for the bbc iplayer error, and they could not solve problem. They will now escalate and report the problem with Samsung HQ. Hopefully it gets fixed soon

I've not used the BBC Iplayer much but I did experience one crash. I put this down to teething problems. It is not something I'll use too often but it does kick in faster than using iPlayer on my TiVo box. As with all these catch-up services the picture quality falls short of being best quality HD.

ITV Hub just came out today and that has the same problem as bbc iplayer only plays for 5 seconds then error sign comes up. Even the DLNA has intermittent problems, my screen goes green then it reboots my TV when watching something from my Server, happens in the plex app as well. I think its a bug in Samsung own media player, which all these apps are probably using. the only thing that streams great is Netflix and youtube. I know its a fairly new, my UE40KU6400, but they should have really sorted out these fundamental bugs before hand.

I
ITV Hub just came out today and that has the same problem as bbc iplayer only plays for 5 seconds then error sign comes up. Even the DLNA has intermittent problems, my screen goes green then it reboots my TV when watching something from my Server, happens in the plex app as well. I think its a bug in Samsung own media player, which all these apps are probably using. the only thing that streams great is Netflix and youtube. I know its a fairly new, my UE40KU6400, but they should have really sorted out these fundamental bugs before hand.

I used the DLNA player and plex on the KS7000 to watch hours of content (some 4k) and all went fine. Maybe it's specific to that model as you mentioned before?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom