• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung 2014 Range

Mensy

Distinguished Member
i seen this in john lewis today looks decent but i didnt have time to get a proper look only 5 mins, picture looked good but it was on a different feed to everything else. Only got put on display yesterday .

JonnySmile

Novice Member
This TV is the equivalent of last years UE**f6400. (Some correct me if wrong) for that price it seems you get quad core over last year dual core. Personally I would look for a high end 2013 6 series or 7/8 series than buy this. I think you get a newer smart hub if that rocks your boat.

IMO your better off getting something on sale but last years mid/high end Samsung or sony TVs. To each their own as some people might want latest model year as in 2014. Latest is NOT always greatest tho.

What might have disappeared is banding/ clouding. You'll need to inspect.
Hope this helps.

wozwebs

Established Member
Thanks for that, I see currys have the 46" 7000 for £899. Just ordered a 46W905, wonder how that compares to the Samsung?

jpr141

Prominent Member
I agree for this month especially if you want a new tv go for the top end 2013 samsungs the f7000 can be had for about 900 or so and the f8000 1050 around that. Remember f7000 was 1600 back when it come out and f8000 1900. Almost bargains now :D

jpr141

Prominent Member
According to john lewis the h6400 has some kind of micro dimming though. Unlike last years 6 series i think.

nogimmix

Banned
They had a UE48H6400 next to the Sony 50" W829, with the Sony having a much better picture - then again it might be different after some tweaking ;)

jpr141

Prominent Member
Maybe although the sony is a tad higher up sonys range in a way than the h6400 is in samsungs. Also samsungs are generally worse than sony out of the box. On youtube the w905 vs f8000 comparisons are pretty funny some can make the the f8000 look bottom of the range lol If it was really as bad as some clips then its amazing they sold any haha

jpr141

Prominent Member
For £999 id definitely get last years f7000 instead right now. With there being no reviews of the h6400 yet and things.

jpr141

Prominent Member
Erm personally i dont like the idea of the reflective stand on the w905 had a tv like that in the past and didnt like it to much reflecting whats on screen on to the stand. Just depends how well you block that out or not. The f8000 is getting tempting now if it hits £1000 i might get that its very close now from a decent retailer at £1099 right now. Considering this tv was £1900 originally.

Norman

Prominent Member
It's also worth remembering the F8000 have 4-Core CPU anyway AND the evolution kit option, so you can update it to the newer SmartTV stuff if you really want to, so it's definitely a better long term investment than the F7000, especially at only £1099.

wozwebs

Established Member
Erm personally i dont like the idea of the reflective stand on the w905 had a tv like that in the past and didnt like it to much reflecting whats on screen on to the stand. Just depends how well you block that out or not. The f8000 is getting tempting now if it hits £1000 i might get that its very close now from a decent site at £1099 right now. Considering this tv was £1900 originally.
Have had a price match at JL for the W905 at £849 which is a good price, again that was near on £2k at launch. Agree about the shiny stand though and the screen is quite reflective but, in the short time I had one from the sony outlet (had banding), the picture quality was excellent. Have only seen the F7000 and F8000 in store at Currys

tef89

Established Member
Spotted the UE48H6400 over at John Lewis for £999 just released. Anyone know anything about it apart from the specs? Is this their high-end or mid-range 2014 model. Have the Sony 50W829 but 2nd set still has some slight banding and clouding so unsure if to go for another, go for the 46W905 or look at another brand.

Buy Samsung UE48H6400 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 48" with Freeview HD, Voice Control and 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

I've ordered the UE50h6400 from John Lewis. Strangely it's priced at £899, £100 cheaper than the 48".

Like I said over in the w829 thread, just can't accept the 'softer' HD image on the Sony.

Good price on the w905 by the way ;)

Chubster2010

Novice Member
I've ordered the UE50h6400 from John Lewis. Strangely it's priced at £899, £100 cheaper than the 48".

Like I said over in the w829 thread, just can't accept the 'softer' HD image on the Sony.

Good price on the w905 by the way ;)

I'd love to know what you think of your H6400 when it arrives... I'm torn between that and the Sony Bravia KDL50W8 (Buy Sony Bravia KDL50W8 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 50" with Freeview HD & 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis).

Any one have any opinions on this? I've always been a Sony-guy, but the Samsung just looked a little more fully featured...

tef89

Established Member
I'd love to know what you think of your H6400 when it arrives... I'm torn between that and the Sony Bravia KDL50W8 (Buy Sony Bravia KDL50W8 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 50" with Freeview HD & 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis).

Any one have any opinions on this? I've always been a Sony-guy, but the Samsung just looked a little more fully featured...

Hi Chubster, it arrives on Friday so I'll report back.

In the meantime I found this review on the USA model number for the same set (UN50H6400)

Samsung UN50H6400 Review (UN50H6400AFXZA, UN50H6400AF)| 50-inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV

Pretty positive, especially the Input lag at around 30ms - not a patch on the Sony's but still OK.

I've got the Sony 50W829 at the minute, and it's a great TV, especially for gaming it's just stunning.

I'm in a minority of about 1 though (it seems :D) as I find the HD just not sharp enough regardless of config. I have a 47w805 downstairs and when you're switching between the two it's really obvious to me. Also I really didn't rate the 3D, way too much crosstalk.

Literally everyone else loves it though (there's an owner's thread on here worth checking out) so I accept it's most probably a personal thing, hence the search continuing with the Samsung.

lclark

Novice Member

Just looked at one in John Lewis - very evident lip sync problem. Was advised not to buy until the problem is solved. Anyone else seen this problem?

lclark

Novice Member
So not possibly there feed then. They say its the tv ?
Definitely the TV. All other TV's in the store were ok. The salesman told us he expects Samsung to resolve the problem with a software update but we agreed to wait until we can see its fixed before buying.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom