• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sample Pics for your Comment

Little Jem

Standard Member
Hi Everyone, Here's a few of my pics to see what you think. :lease: go easy, remember I'm still very new to this photography game. All were taken with the Canon 500mm F4 lens and all except the deer (500d) with the 1d Mk iv.

I live on a farm, being a farm manager's wife, and so have such wonderful opportunities on the doorstep. The mandarin was on the front lawn, the deer was in the wood a field away from the house, and the hare was in the field between the wood and the house. The sheep were in the paddock by the drive. The Kite was up at Harewood. I would welcome your comments/suggestions for improvement. Thanks.

Little Jem

Attachments

• DPP_0018.JPG
    DPP_0018.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 104
  • BM1R1931.jpg
    BM1R1931.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DPP_0004.jpg
    DPP_0004.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DPP_0006.jpg
    DPP_0006.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8680.jpg
    IMG_8680.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 137

shotokan101

Banned
Very nice set - you have a good eye and I like the composition of them too - except for the sheep which is cropped/composed too tightly on the right which spoils it a little for me :)

Jim

Little Jem

Standard Member
Hello,

Thanks RajP & Shotokan101 for your encouragement. Being so new to this game I'm not sure yet what's good and what's rubbish (only know what I like) so your comments are very encouraging.

Little Jem

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
OK....

The kite certainly looks sharp but is probably over sharpened somewhere as you can see jaggies... however, it's a lovely composition.

The deer, I like the composition but it's quite soft.

The duck would look miles better without the straggly thing right behind it, and the greens look a bit strong, however the duck looks nice and sharp.

The hare is quite soft again, and looks like it might be a crop from quite some distance.

The sheep is nice, but I'd crop tighter and focus on the two lambs with the mum's head. Again the sharpness isn't quite there.

Are you using a tripod yet? You are going to seriously struggle to get sharp shots with that combination on handheld. I'd also look at the processing you're doing as it seems a little over-processed to my eye.

The 500 is a lovely lens, but it took me a good few (frustrating) months of practice before I started to get consistent results with it. However once you do, it can produce seriously realistic photos so persevere, as the others say the composition is generally good.

This is the sort of sharpness I think you should be aiming for IMO with a Roe deer head as a guide

I hope it's not too harsh, but you have to aim really high with that lens and also the MkIV body ;)

senu

Distinguished Member
OK....

The kite certainly looks sharp but is probably over sharpened somewhere as you can see jaggies... however, it's a lovely composition.

The deer, I like the composition but it's quite soft.

The duck would look miles better without the straggly thing right behind it, and the greens look a bit strong, however the duck looks nice and sharp.

The hare is quite soft again, and looks like it might be a crop from quite some distance.

The sheep is nice, but I'd crop tighter and focus on the two lambs with the mum's head. Again the sharpness isn't quite there.

Are you using a tripod yet? You are going to seriously struggle to get sharp shots with that combination on handheld. I'd also look at the processing you're doing as it seems a little over-processed to my eye.

The 500 is a lovely lens, but it took me a good few (frustrating) months of practice before I started to get consistent results with it. However once you do, it can produce seriously realistic photos so persevere, as the others say the composition is generally good.

This is the sort of sharpness I think you should be aiming for IMO with a Roe deer head as a guide

[URL=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4631403880_5a800472c3_o.jpg]image
[/url]

I hope it's not too harsh, but you have to aim really high with that lens and also the MkIV body ;)

+1..
Tripod
Composition
Slow down on PP..less is more .. the kit is most often time good enough
Overall: very nice but with that kit the standard expected is already high.. I have no doubt youll be firing on al cylinders pretty soon.

Little Jem

Standard Member
Hi Ian S & Senu,

I appreciate your constructive criticism. All the shots above were hand held though I have a Gitzo 3530 tripod and Jobu gimbal though it's difficult setting up for wildlife sometimes - by the time the tripod is set to the right height etc. the subject is in the next County! I'm sure you know what I mean!!

Both the Hare and the Deer are quite heavily cropped. and it was late evening when I took the hare so light wasn't so good, (and perhaps that hasn't helped the sharpness), the duck and kite less so and the sheep aren't cropped at all I just increased the contrast slightly and reduced the shadow as the ewe's face was quite dark.

I'm shooting in RAW and using the Canon software to crop, sharpen, adjust contrast and sometimes increase the colour saturation (perhaps overdone on the mandarin). Perhaps it's the editing stage where I need the advice as it seems you all agree composition isn't too bad and I'll try to use the tripod more.

I love your Roe Deer, what a capture! I'd like to try to photograph some young deer this time.

Thanks for your advice.

Little Jem

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
You might find a monopod helps when you're wandering around, nowhere near as heavy as the full tripod kit, and will add some stability whislt still allowing you to shoot from the hip. The Manfrotto 681B is up to the job without costing the earth, or if weight is an issue then they have more expensive carbon fiber ones.

senu

Distinguished Member
Ian, that was from a 7D at 500mm did you use a tripod yourself?
Also were the foxes monopod /handheld /tripod?

senu

Distinguished Member
I'm shooting in RAW and using the Canon software to crop, sharpen, adjust contrast and sometimes increase the colour saturation (perhaps overdone on the mandarin). Perhaps it's the editing stage where I need the advice as it seems you all agree composition isn't too bad and I'll try to use the tripod more.
Little Jem
And mostly doing a fab job but a bit more subtle PP.. will pay dividends once the capture itself is fine.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Ian, that was from a 7D at 500mm did you use a tripod yourself?
Also were the foxes monopod /handheld /tripod?
The foxes were a mixture of beanbag lying on the floor, handheld and tripod, a couple of the fox pics were also using a 100-400L. The Deer photo was on a tripod hidden under a bag hide.

I use a fairly heavy Giottos with a manfroto 393 head, and you can still see vibration through the viewfinder when the mirror/shutter move.

senu

Distinguished Member
The foxes were a mixture of beanbag lying on the floor, handheld and tripod, a couple of the fox pics were also using a 100-400L. The Deer photo was on a tripod hidden under a bag hide.

I use a fairly heavy Giottos with a manfroto 393 head, and you can still see vibration through the viewfinder when the mirror/shutter move.

Thanks.. the joys of long length photography;)
How effective is IS , given that in sport photography they may not have the luxury of always being set up
Im playing with a 7D now and find that small errors seem very magnified compare to the 40D .. it makes you work on your technique a lot more

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
If you look at the sports photographers they pretty much ALL use at least a monopod with the big lenses.

The IS is effective, but isn't as good as the later ones. I had a play with a new 300 2.8 MkII late last year, and the IS on that was the newer one and it was rock solid.

And yes the extra megapixels do magnify any movement, making technique more important. When I first got my 7D I was horrified at how many blurred rubbish photos I was getting. Those small sensor pixels are hard work!!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom