Sammy using the HD950 dvd player

add46.88

Im planning on buying the Samsung LE-32R41BD tomorrow but have a question...

Has anyone got the samsung HD950 dvd player hooked up to there sammy via HDMI?What is the quality like?

I only want a LCD for DVDs and xbox 360 so was just wondering what the DVD picture was like using the HD950

I

iamhoey

Check out my post in the DVD Player Forum... This player is rubbish, I had it connected to my LE26R41B- returned it within a few days... Stay well clear...

Hoey

M

mister meaner

I have a HD750 (the same upscaler but with DVI not HDMI) hooked up to the 40" HD Samsung screen, and I have to say the quality is very impressive. Best video source available at the mo IMHO.

Especially of note are CGI cartoons like ICE AGE, which generally look good, but in this configuration just look spectacular. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Roll on HD-DVD and Blue-Ray!

That reminds me must order some incontinence pants. :)

DanDT

This player is rubbish, I had it connected to my LE26R41B- returned it within a few days... Stay well clear...
I have to say the quality is very impressive. Best video source available at the mo IMHO.

Gotta love how you can get coherent information from this forum... err...

RockySpieler

I have the Samsung HD750, via DVI at 720p/1080i you get black crush, Not the full range of colours.

I prefer the DVD output of my HTPC, full range of colours.

With multi-region hack it outputs 720p/1080i via component, unfortuanately my LCD cannot accept these resolutions via analogue, so I do not know if balck crush affects component.

There is no noticable layer change, much better pq than my 8 year old US imported MR DVD player Pioneer, interestingly the old Pioneer had interlaced component out, one from the ark! And it doesn't have a big transformer.

multiply

I have the LE32R41BDX and using theHD950 with it.
The results are spectacular!
The only thing is, and I imagine is true with all combo LCDs/DVDs, it is worth investing time to set up the picture to your liking - colours, brightness, contrast, etc.

I purchased the Digital Video Essentials DVD and spent a couple of hours getting the right balance of everything.

The first DVD I played on this set-up was Finding Nemo (Region 1 DVD, BTW) and it was breathtaking!

Conclusion - the system works great. Bear in mind this is a subjective opinion as I don't have anyhting else to compare it with. However, my aesthetic standards are pretty high... ;)

M

mister meaner

what is black crush? and don't say its like strawberry crush but darker!

M

mister meaner

don't need search, have you instead!

Seriously though, i've done a fair amount of reading up on the problems you might encounter with AV equip, but never heard of black crush before.

I'll have to check my player now, see if I can tell if its a problem. certainly never noticed a problem before despite hundreds of hours of DVD watching.

Where is this THX optimiser? Is it on every star wars disk or just the trilogy pack?

add46.88

Ive connected my samsung hd950 to my 23 inch samsung via RGB scart

I tried out The Beach DVD and i got a grainy picture

Should i buy some component leads,will that make a huge difference in picture quality?

dllord

add46.88 said:
Ive connected my samsung hd950 to my 23 inch samsung via RGB scart

I tried out The Beach DVD and i got a grainy picture

Should i buy some component leads,will that make a huge difference in picture quality?
Yeah component will be a lot better!

Kalos Geros

As I understand from the HD950s PDF manual that I'm looking at just now, the HDMI has different setting regarding color range: RGB-Normal, RGB-expand, YCbCr (4:4:4) and YCbCr (4:2:2)...I understand from this that you can SELECT whether you want full color range or limited, and whether you are connecting HDMI to HDMI or DVI which all seems like a solution to the problem and there is also manual adjustments to picture qualities (color, brightness etc) so there should be no complaining about it not being able to output correctly...in addition I can see from the manual that it can output digital component in 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 flavours (meaning it could potentially be connected to professional edit machines) making this player one hell of an AV equipment!!!

RockySpieler

Thx for the RGB expand post, unfrotunately the HD745 does not have these options. I need to check the samsung site to see if new firmware has been released for the HD745 yet.

Trending threads

Top Bottom