1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sammy SP50L3HX or SP50L7HX...?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Picman, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Picman

Picman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have just checked the Sammy website and found these two models, both appear to be 50"DLP. The specification looks identical except the L3 is a lot smaller and lighter. Is this the only difference or am I missing something ?

Picman,
    Soon to be an ex-Tosh owner !

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I believe that the L3 uses the newer but potentially less sharp HD3 chipset and the L7 uses the older but, argueably better and sharper, HD2+ chipset. The L7 is the version that everyone is buying and is in the shops and online stores. The 46" is an L3.

3. Pindi

Pindi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi - can the sp50l7hx do 1080i? if so how can i get my dvd player to use it? i use the dvd player in the samsung htds1100 surround sound system. thanks

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes it can do 1080i and 720p - i believe it scales everything down to 1280x720p so i'm not certain you'll notice much difference - both are equally excellent.

You'll need an upscaling DVD player with HDMI or DVI out such as the Samsung HD945, HD735 or HD950 or the Denon 2190 or 3190 or the Panasonic S97 - all will upscale to 720p or 1080i.

Cheers
    KableMan

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There would be no point at all upscalling anything to 1080i as the Sammy will have to scale it back to 720p, performing 2 scalling process's on the picture is going to make it look worse than if you let the Sammy or DVD player do it alone. Try both the Sammy & DVD player to see which has the better upscaller.

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi St_ve - am I right in thinking that you would still need an upscaling DVD to convert a normal DVD to 720p - or are you saying that the Samsung will do this for you even if the DVD player doesn't? Will all DLP's do this? And will they only do this via DVI/HDMI - as I thought they couldn't do this via scart or component?

I guess the confusion comes from the fact that the only DVD players with DVI or HDMI out will also upscale. Won't these TV's detect the 720p or 1080i or lower line signal and automatically scale or not? Maybe I'm expecting too much...

Cheers
    KableMan

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not the best person to ask about DVD players i've only ever had the one an old limit that need's retiring. I thought DVD players could upscale through component as well ?
    Guess we'll find out soon enough as sombody who knows is sure to post.

What i am sure of is everything you see on your set is 1280X720 it's the native resolution of these sets & they cannot display anything else.
    If you play a DVD at the ratio of 2.35:1 you get the black bars top & bottom
    but the resolution is still 1280X720
    Every DLP set will upscale or downscale all sources to it's native resolution.