1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sammy SP46L3HX settings

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jrl, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    can anyone sugguest some picture setting ,contrast and brightness ect, the more i alter them the less sure i am which looks best ! also does a high contrast setting have any impact on lamp life? its set at 100 from the factory[max]
    i am currently waiting for my set to be replaced due to cosmetic damage on the screen surround but they are out of stock again[currys] why arn't they in better supply by now!!
    i really like the pq and looks of the set and didnt want the offered refund

2. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jrl,

I just got the Sam as well - am impressed with the PQ and the looks too.

As for the settings, I really just reduced the contrast to about 70 and that was basically it. The setting on 100 was way too much IMO. To compare then, switch to the Dynamic and to the Normal Picture modes and you will see that the Cinema mode with the lowered Contrast is way smoother. Then adjust further as it suits you.

As far as I know, increasing the contrast level does not affect the life of the bulb.

3. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks JZEE
    thats pretty much exactly what ive done, i agree the contrast was way too high
    on 100

4. pmcomp

pmcomp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The brightnees was to high as well.
    I've set it to 38.

Piotr

5. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found these on an American Forum (avsforum). The guy who came out with these was using Avia for calibration. You'll take a while to get used to them but after a while, you'll notice a much more cinematic picture.

Mode= Cinema
    Sharpness = 0
    Contrast = 49
    Brightness = 52
    Colour = 45
    DNIe = On
    DNR = On

:thumbsup:

6. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks JZEE for your info, but my sets going back on tuesday
    there was damage on the screen suround [noticed when first unpacked]+sceen smudging down the left hand side of the screen only seemed to appear after a few days ? it more or less dissappeared when the set warmed
    up, i was supposed to be having a replacement last week but after staying in all sat no one turned up,now i am told they cant get me a replacement until MAY! [they think] so im having a refund, and have ordered a tosh 46wm48
    should be getting it next sat [hopefully]
    just didnt like the idea of not getting the set changed for so long ,in case anything further happened, overall i was happy with pq ect :confused:

7. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jrl,

The smudging you've seen is not a malfunction at all. The Samsung has got two screens, and the smudges are basically trapped air between these two screens. They will however go away after some time after the set heats up a bit and are mostly related to the environment's humidity.

This dual screen system however offers big advantages related to screen glare. You will have noticed that the screen's satin like finish helps a lot especially when viewing in a brightly lit room. Other designs may not be so forgiving.

If you want to get rid of the smudges altogether, you may also want to ask Samsung to replace the screen with a new design that comes preassembled (the front and rear screens i.e.).

For me, this is a non-issue.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  9. rammy

rammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just recieved my new sam dlp. its connected through sky + with a top quality scart, but i'm v dissapointed with the pq, especially watching the footy or mtv, after waiting 5 weeks for it i'm not v pleased with it, any1 having simular problem? thanks

10. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    what are you disappointed with? you will need to configure it properly. play around with it

11. rammy

rammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just dissapointed with the pic quality anything that moves quickly, the pic goes a bit blocky,i think the sound on it is awesome though. thanks for the reply

12. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    the blockyness is due to the sky feed not tv, sky compress there signal so much. how is it like for dvds

13. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that going into the "My Colour Control" menu then into the "Detail control sub menu, i turned the green control down to about 28 ( i think ) sorted the footy out for me. I still see the occasional smudge, but none of the blockiness.

What other settings are you using, Brightness, contrast etc, also have you got your sky box set to RGB, and have a play with the Sky box contrast setting.

14. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    i too turned the green down as the grass was REALLY green . now it is fine. i was watching manchester united game thru rf feed on bbc1, which is better in my opion than sky for 1-5 channels and it was perfect!

15. rammy

rammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ill try turning the green down, as for my dvd's well at the mo i have an old sony system, just connected through a normal jack lead, so ididnt expect that to be v good and the sound comes out not in sync with the picture, but ive ordered a denon cinema system with a component connection and they told me that will be a lot better than what i'm using at the mo,i hope i can solve the quality issue because its a great looking tv,
    thanks again

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    yes a component dvd system will be exceptionally better than what ur using at the moment. i got my dvd player connected via component and sound outputting to my str db790 6.1 receiver and have no sound delyas. this was one of my main concerns about lip sync but i have not had any so far. i have my tv outputting sound via the l +r rca connections at back to my receiver also for surround sound pro logic 2. so far no issues.

17. rammy

rammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again just lowered my green levels, but the picture on the football is still looking blury cant make out the players or there numbers.close ups are ok but when the ball is moving it struggles to stay clear,cheers

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Football via sky or most sources are poor especially on a big screen. Its the quality of the broadcast which is at fault. HD should improve on this.

19. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football is the worst source on my set it does vary in quality some of the more important games seem to be broadcast with less compression & look better. I find any footie or rugby on the BBC or ITV channell is best watched with analougue TV from a roof ariel into the back of my set.