1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sammy picture problem - anyone help?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by aftertaste, Mar 23, 2005.

1. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    We've had the Samsung 50" for 6 days. For the first two or three days the picture on both DVDs and through Sky Digital were virtually flawless.

Over the past few days though, the picture seems to have deteriorated. The main problem is usually things in the background: walls of one solid colur for example.....they have an annoying sheen on them, as if they're wet. The same exapt problem appears on DVDs too, so it's nothing to do with the Sky signal.

Can anyone suggest what this problem is, or what might be causing it? It was so amazing for the first few days that this is really hard to live with.

I feel like I might have adjusted some setting and not realised ther impact it had.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Have you tried reseting the set back to manufactures settings and then view?

3. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've reset the picture settings back to their original settings (colour, contrast, brightness etc.), but it doesn't solve the problem. Do you know if there's a way to reset everything back to its original settings?

I'm having trouble accessing the service menu, but I was hoping that if I could there would be an option to do this.

4. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you have the SP50L7HX? I'm asking because this model should not suffer from "smudges" which are normally seen on the SP46.

If what you are referring to are smudges (you can see them on light background colours only) then they are caused because a number of Samsung DLPs actually have two screens and a times, dust or air is stuck between them. The smudges usually go away after the TV heats up. FYI, JVC RPTVs also seem to suffer from this.

Can you check whether your smudges disappear after a while?

5. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JZEE don't think he's got smudges. It sounds like solarization or over saturation of bright blocks of colour. I believe Tosh owners get this problem too!?!

Any other Sammy owners seeing this problem?

Not sure if you have the option on the sammy, but you could try turning down any gamma settings or dim the brightness and constrast see if it makes a difference. How about taking some pics and posting them?

6. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I don't think they're smudges. In fact, "solarization" was the word I was trying to think of when I was posting my original question.

And yes, it's the SP50L7HX that we have. It's really bad, and doesn't go away when warm. It's such a contrast from the first couple of days (there was nothing like this)....which is why I think that maybe I adjusted something without realising what it had done. But it definitely isn't any of the basic settings (contrast, brightness etc. I've tinkered with all of them, and it just makes the solarized patches brighter or darker, but they're still very clear to see).

Any other ideas, anyone? This is seriously depressing. If not, I'll try to post some pics of the problem.

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere the other day that the Samsung 50L7 has three extra colour sliders that have been provided to help create realistic skin tones
    they are pink blue & i think green, you are supposed to be able adjust these without upsetting the overall colour balance : They might have them tucked away seperate to the other colour controls ?

8. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yeah, I've found those three sliders. They don't have any effect on the problem though. It's really getting tedious now. I've readjusted the same 7 or 8 settings all day, and none of it helps at all.

I'm really confused. It doesn't seem like a fault. It just seems like adjusting something would cure it.

I'll put some pictures of the problem up tomorrow. Maybe it'll be clear to someone what's wrong if you can see it.

I'm still open to any ideas though.

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try any sharpness blur or noise controls if u have them
    Could the problem have allways been there & u've only just noticed it .
    A 50" screen can be a bit overpowering at first if u've been used to a smaller screen.
    Pictures might help can u still see the problem when u pause the screen,
    It's not a halo like effect is it where a lighter or more detailed object is surounded or bordered by a colour all nearly the same shade with no detail & you get bands of colour like lines on a contour map ?
    How often do you see it ?

10. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Your halo description could be used to describe it...it sometimes looks like those isobars on weathermaps...or rippling water. What causes that?

Perhaps there could have been a *small* amount of this on those first few days, but it really is overpowering now. It's not something you could have missed.

11. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope it's not Sammy 50's turn to reveal problems... :(

This set is possibly my last hope of a suitable DLP, I wonder if all the problems that have been reported from owners of all the different DLPs after a week or two are down to the estimated 100hr running in of the lamp? Perhaps this technology did seem too good to be true at first? I hope not as I'm sure there are many people like me after a big screen but don't have enough money to spend on a top notch plasma.

12. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Here's the best picture I could manage tonight. It's not great. I could only get the problem to show up on camera if I got really close to the screen, which means all resolution was lost and the problem is exaggerated. But this at least shows what's going wrong.

The wall behind the man was one shade, and yet it appears as you see it: a wavey mess of shades, like ripples.

Sorry, not sure how to post pictures, so here's the URL:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/aftertasteuk/samsung1.jpg

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice. It's a nice place to be able to come to when you have problems!

13. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a unique problem as i have no such shades\ripples on my set. You may have faulty set i would set get it replaced.

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is haloing Signs has loads of it due to poor compression.There was some on ghost ship as well. I have seen this to some extent on all DLP set's i've looked at .It's very similar to a digital photo with too much compression.
    Compression isn't the cause but heavy compression can make it worse,
    It is more noticable on older DVD's as a rule.
    AIUI the image is made up of 255 brightness levels & if you have a smooth block of colour you can get banding.It is more noticible in darker scenes.
    if you have a bright or more detailed object in the centre of the screen surounded by a block of colour for example dark blue, if the dark blue only had 5 levels of brightness (scale of 0 to 255) you would see 5 bands of slightly diferent shades of colour surrouding the object in the centre & would be called haloing but is the same as banding.Contour lines on a map look the same .
    I had my set for weeks before i noticed it & as i have been looking for it tonight watching signs was less enjoyable than if i had relaxed with a can of beer & simply watched the movie . most programmes i don't see it all but it is probably there if i really looked for it.
    A good quality programe you can watch closer to the screen but a poor programe may still be enjoyable at 12 feet
    Is it just you that notices it?
    If you see it in all programes maybe you are sensitive to it.
    Try popping back to where you demoed the set & see if you can see it there.

15. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give the my colour control and colour weekness enhancement a check, over adjusting these can give funny effects.

I have not seem this on my set, looks like it might be a fault.

16. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm not sure what to think now. Some of you seem to think it could be a fault, and some seem to think it's just one of the problems you get with DLPs.

I'm pretty confident this didn't exist the first few days. I'm testing it with the DVDs I watched those first few days, and it's hard to believe these bands and halos were always there.

<<Is it just you that notices it?>>

No, everyone who's watched it the last couple of days has noticed it. It's impossible to miss. Sometimes the walls can look like they're alive.

Strangley though, there are two or three channels where the problem is much less obvious.

It's at its worst on films. I watched The Grudge on Tuesday and the picture was awful.

I'm waiting for an HD-945 DVD player from Samsung, which I'll conect using the HDMI socket. Any chance this problem will improve on DVDs when I'm using that? I suppose if I wait and it does improve I'll know the problem isn't with the TV.

17. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aftertaste,

Take one of your DVD's to currys or somewhere and see if it is just your tv.

If it is call in the warranty people and say this has been like it from the start and you have not adjusted anything. You only found out this was not meant to be like this when a friend saw it and said it looks faulty.

Act dumb, they should not charge you even if it is a setting because as you say "this has been like it out of the box!" stick to that!

good luck, and don't give up that excellent TV, think back to what you saw at the beginning. I would not give up mine for anything now!

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm positive my explanation is right but there may be a fault on your set that is making it worse. i've never seen it on most programs & DVD's.

19. Morks

Morks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aftertaste,

I have the same problem from new on two sets. Samsung agent's tech has been to visit and agrees its faulty. Saga is posted on
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166051&page=9&pp=15

Others say the set is very good. Let us know how it goes.

Edited to say:
    Rather than continue to update my saga in the above thread I will post here as this sounds like the same problem.

20. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    A technician came out yesterday and had a look at it. When he saw the picture he said right away that there was a fault.

John Lewis have no more in stock, and don't expect more for a few weeks, so I'm having a refund.

I've lost faith in this model. It's developed other problems since the original fault occureed. It's being collected Saturday, and I won't be getting another one.

21. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest what other faults has it developed?

22. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The "smears" at the edges of the screen are getting worse with time. There are visible trails stretching from top to bottom.

It's also developed some very noticable picture shudder.

23. Morks

Morks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned Samsung again tody and was told they have no further info. I called the local agent and was told he had just finished talking with his tech counterpart who still believes the problem is with settings.

They have asked their local agent to visit their offices for a hands on course. He tells me he now has a second set with this problem.

I suggested he might like to pick up my set and take it with him so Samsung can show him how to adjust it rather than thier workshop set. He says its a great idea and will run it past them.

24. Morks

Morks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hip Hoorah! Its fixed. Software upgrade was the answer.

After about 6 more phone calls to Samsung they agreed to have the local agent take my set to thier offices when he attended his "how to adjust these sets" course. I dont think the penny would have dropped if they had not done this.

Looks like the problem was limited to a small batch. So far there are 4 cases I have been aware of, all in NSW Australia.

Thanks to all who helped, particulary parnassus. The TV is a delight to watch.

25. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is probably the wrong place to put this post, but can you tell me if the Samsung 50 has PAP (picture and picture, split screen) feature? Also are those samsung 50 owners out there happy with the set in general and would keep the set? I only ask as im a sagem hd-d45 owner who is stil having a few minor problems with my third (yes third) set, and am considering changing th set for the samsung. I really like the split picture feature of the sagem as my wife loves tyo play ps2 and I prefer channel hopping on sky+. Descisions , descisions......

Chris

26. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    the set has pip not pap i think. i have this set and im extremely happy with it, would change it for nothin else!

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I have POP on my RD65 and the quality when split between the two isnt up to much, It would be ok to surf channels but not for sensible viewing. Why not buy 2 displays to get around this problem. ;)

28. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, this is the sort of info i look for on these fourms. I can scratch this tv off my list. I have been looking for ANY tv for 6-8 months now and in the process i have returned about 10 tvs. Technology these days is so rubbish its untrue especially when it comes to quality control. Only tv related bit of hardware i have kept is my optoma H30 projector, everything else is a joke. The search continues lol

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Its anoying that these sets cost so much and have stupid easy to spot faults. Who on earth is feild testing these sets.

30. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the Sammy 50 is a pile of rubbish too, just like the tosh 46...this only leaves the RD 50 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh well, it looks like a CRT 36'' or a plasma 42'', but i expect these are crap too :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: what on Earth is going on here.