Sammy LW32A23W question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by phlix, Oct 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that when setting to Auto Wide (the default setting) it seems to stretch the left and right parts of the screen. The result is it makes the picture look slightly curved. This isn't a problem if the picture is set to 'Wide', the only problem is the set keeps changing back to 'Auto Wide' . Does anyone know if this is a problem with all units, or just mine?

Cheers

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    When it's on it's auto setting, in the absence of anything to tell it to go true widescreen, it will default to "Panorama" mode which is intended to distort 4x3 signals so they fit the 16x9 screen.

If you are using a true widescreen source

(such as:
    - a DVD player, set to output 16x9, and playing an anamorphic/16x9/enhanced for widescreen TVs disc;
    - a digital set top box, set to output 16x9 and receiving a widescreen (16x9) signal)

then it should detect the widescreen signal and set itself to wide mode. If it isn't doing this then it may be

a) because your DVD or STB isn't set to output 16x9
    b) because you aren't using a fully-wired SCART cable and the auto switching signal isn't present
    c) what you are watching isn't actually widescreen

3. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but...

On my LW26A33W, when viewing 4:3 broadcasts:
    1. On Wide setting, it stretches the image uniformly to fill the screen (15:9)
    2. On Auto Wide, it stretches the image non-uniformly (more at the edges). I think that the idea is that the centre of the screen will not be as stretched and therefore not as distorted. It does make things look a little weird, especially the news ticker on Sky Sports News....

I don't have a problem with the set reverting to Auto Wide. It remembers the setting for each input independently.

4. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    On mine, AV1 keeps reverting back to the default of Auto Wide, just by changing channel on the NTL STB I've got connected to it. Must be something to do with the signal via scart resetting it. Noticed the other settings don't change (such as DNIe). Also, the normal TV mode doesn't have this 'feature'.

5. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers .... I'll try a new scart cable and see if that makes a difference.