Sammy 50" and those darstadly smudges...

g_unit

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I've had my set for a few weeks now and am chuffed to bits with it. Everyone who sees it wants one!

My main beef is the smudges on the screen; these are quite bad in the morning but only very noticeable on white backgrounds. Now I've read all these different conspiracy theories about delamination, the two screens sticking together, condensation... etc and after seeing the problem for myself I am almost 100% sure its all cobblers!!!

The smudges appear (and I have tested this a few times now) when static builds up in the screen. Static seems to be at its peak in the mornings I think, probably something to do with the screen cooling and contracting slightly over night. Now what the actual marks are caused by I think is the static causing the inner screen to flex inward (I am only talking minute amounts here) causing a kind of shadowy mark. If you press on the screen you will see the mark disappear.

Now the remedy - so far wiping away does work, but not for the reasons most think. Everything else such as hairdryers is again cobblers. If you gently wipe a soft COTTON cloth (any nylon will create more static) over the whole screen you will hear the static charges dissipating. After a good wipe in the morning :D , do a before and after, you will notice the smudges to be much fainter, and within 10mins completely gone :clap: !

If anyone else has any other findings and tips on this issue I would be interested to hear your views.

Also for testing it’s worth accessing the Sky Interactive menu as it flashes up a pure white screen just after the loading where you can use the still picture to freeze it there and experiment!

When you buy a front dlp projector it is advised to let the unit aclimatise for a period of 24 hours otherwise condesdation may rear its ugly head. I dont know if this has any bearing.

By the way G.unit are you a MVP of DLP? ;)

Lol, well I don't like to toot my horn Razor - but I may well be the current Sammy DLP MVP. Just here to help the cause...

OK guys I got a question - is there any measure/solutions/products I can use to reduce the build up of static in the Sammy's plastic screen.

After a hard days viewing, the next morning she be crackling away when I wipe her down!

Thanks

what about some kind of grounding strip like you used to buy for cars?you could get some go faster stripes as well lol

sheep

Maybe antistatic spray but that might damage the screen & it might need applying from the inside as well.

St_ve said:
Maybe antistatic spray but that might damage the screen & it might need applying from the inside as well.

Steve i was going to suggest that. I have some anti static spray which works a treat. My old rear pro had a shiney dust trap for a screen. I would clean the screen and with in 24 hours the dust was back. 1 application of anti static spray twice a year is all you need to keep your screen dust free. I havent tried it with my RD65 as it doesnt need it.

Antistatic spray can be bought from electronic shops for around a fiver. :D

You'd have to make damm sure it does'nt harm the plastic or whatever it's made of screen.
As sheep says a grounding strip might work you could connect a fine wire to your radiator. The static theory sounds good but is still not proven it might be condensation as was sugested earlier .if an antistatic spray or grounding strip works that would be proof .

Nice one Razor - thanks for the tips guys. Will try some good anti-static spray, if this works then it will be the discovery of a cure for the Sammy's one and only problem... smudges!

Now you do realise I'm going to take all the credit for it! Lol ;)

St_ve trust me it IS static - I tested my theory again yesterday. I put on Shark Tale DVD (dont ask!) and as there are lots of light watery scenece I could see those screen buggers all over the show. Paused the DVD, wiped the screen with a soft cloth - lots of static crackles - sat back down and... ahhh nice clear screen!

I find that there is still some residual marks left behind that take a few more minutes to clear, but de-staticising (dont think thats a word!) really does work.

I was thinking along the line of a grounding wire too. Along the bottom edge of the screen there is a tiny gap between the screen and the bezel. If i was to jam a thin wire in there and run it descretely under the screen and into a 3 pin plug, connecting it to the ground obviously, would this work?

What about one of those lighting sticks you get hanging off a cars rear bumpers....lol and they are black to match the samsung. ;)

i was thinking just to try it out you could use some blue tac and stick the wire to the edge of the screen(cant see blue tac hurting the screen)and then earth the wire if it works you could then do a proper job??

Unfortunately those lightening sticks don't come in a long enough size to reach the floor :mad:, I may have to experiment with the grounding idea :eek: !

g_unit said:
Unfortunately those lightening sticks don't come in a long enough size to reach the floor :mad:, I may have to experiment with the grounding idea :eek: !

tie a few togehter ;) :rotfl:

That spray looks fine, try it out.

Just connect a bit of copper wire to the grounding strip to extend it.
The antistatic spray sounds safe enough :)
If you wanted to find out if both ideas work try the grounding strip first.:)

might work with lightening strips connected to the car, but i would have to drag the samsung to work with me as i drive along the road? dont sound practical :rotfl:

g_unit said:
St_ve trust me it IS static - I tested my theory again yesterday. I put on Shark Tale DVD (dont ask!) and as there are lots of light watery scenece I could see those screen buggers all over the show. Paused the DVD, wiped the screen with a soft cloth - lots of static crackles - sat back down and... ahhh nice clear screen!
SEE it is condensation then Shark Tale is about as wet as a DVD can get & so obviously the inside of the screen get's a little damp :devil:

only kidding i think the grounding of the screen probably won't be effective in discharging static in a plastic screen, it's easy to see why it works in a car / metal body. I suppose there might be something in the screen that's conductive.
I'm glad that our old CRT TV sets did'nt suffer from static related smudges in the same way. Might have kept the couch potatoes amongst us fitter having to get up & wipe the screens down every 5 min's.:rotfl:

As i was the first to suggest using an antistatic spray :my post timed 12:23
i am going to copyright it. I will of course expect an annual fee from all Sammy owners using this brilliant idea of £10
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The plot thickens a third cause of the smudges and an explanation by Samsung.
I did a search on the UK Samsung site it looks the same as the USA one but does not contain this info .
I'll put the info into the sticky samsung section . Be interesting to find out what Samsung do to cure it.

St_ve,

Samsung has come out with a new screen design that is mounted and sealed at the factory. Before this design, the two screens were being shipped separately and then put together at a later stage thus introducing the empty 'pockets' between them.

I'm sure the explanation by Samsung is correct after I spent numerous hours researching this.

It sounds 90% plus to me that you're right which is why it's going into the sticky.
It's probably what's causing the static.
I'd laugh if the Sammy service tech came round your house & sprayed the screen with antistatic spray .:)

touch wood i havnt seen any smudges on my set, it could be static or condensation. i read somewhere that it was the screen delaminating due to heat and cold etc. i got mine next to a radiator maybe thats why mine is fine so far

Nice one Razor :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom