1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sammy 50 and hd945 after 2 weeks

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by croozer, Apr 9, 2005.

1. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nearly always a perfect picture especially through hdmi dvd.some sky programs aren't 100% on faces but this is only picture content.slight bending of lines on teletext and sky menu but not noticable on moving pictures.no halowing, rainbows or blurring of fast movements.all default parameters have been turned down and the colour matches my 36"sony crt. all in all a pleasurable experience.if the attached photos come through you will see that i have economised on fitting it in.the base is a black marble effect kitchen worktop and the shelving units are 79.99 from argos.these came with frosted glass shelves which didn't look very good so i sprayed the underside of the glass with halfords black aerosols and cut the legs to fit.

Attached Files:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    croozer looks very nice,
    almost like a shrine . How many hours a day do you spend worshiping the God Sammy :D

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Youve done a lovely job on setting it all up I salute you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the photos are only 28kb in size & are good considering the size, but you are allowed to upload pictures up to 120kb in size & 800 pixels wide.:)
    If Heinekin did AV layout's they'd probably look like yours :rotfl:

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes almost looks like a wifey set it up doesn't it.. :D

6. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    St ve i dont know how to downsize a large size photo to a small one,the nearest i can get with my camera is 138kb.do you know the method? i have access to photoshop if thats the way

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use photoshop myself
    go alt / i /i and change the image size
    first make sure you have constrain proportions & resample image size boxes ticked
    second change the resolution to 72 pixels per inch
    third change the width for pixel dimensions to 800 pixels
    then save the image as jpeg when you save you can adjust the compression used Photoshop estimates the file size try & get it below 116kb as the saved file is normally a bit larger. It's tricky getting it at exactly 120kb & not really necessary but you can crop a little & resave to keep the image quality high. :rtfm: only joking but don't forget you have a 800 page manual on the photoshp cd :)

Make sure your camera is set to it's highest quality & take pictures at the largest size your camera supports.
    If taking a closeup picture of the screen 7 it's picture quality do not use flash
    & use a tripod or rest your camera on a table .

8. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Excellent set up croozer. Ordered my 945 this week and have my sammy 50 coming as soon as they get more stock, 2weeks they reckon. Cant wait. Have you had any problems at all. How easy is the tv to set up. :smashin:

9. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    br14n no probs at all apart from the slight line bending.the settings are a matter of taste.when you get the 945 go into its'menu to get the 1080 hdmi setting or you will just have a blank screen,all the cables come with it.i have just found a problem with the sp50.i had a power cut and all the settings reverted to default.this time i'll take note of all the settings. St ve,my max setting on the camera is 28mb tiff or raw,or about 3.5mb on normal setting,which one should i use in photoshop?i think i can follow your directions ok.

10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks good croozer, i'm redocorating downstairs to suit the Samsung....i went into Currys again today, the picture looked miles better than last time :D

and i can see its potential now, it'll look great....but i also liked the 42'' plasma from Phillips and also their LCD with pixell plus.....the Sony grand wega looked bad though.

the best picture i saw was from the phillips 36'' CRT, but the Samsung wasn't set up correctly so it's hard to tell. the one thing i dont like about the DLP is it's poor viewing angle, anything other than directly infront and you cant see a picture, it's like it's turned off.

11. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just run a homemade mini dv through the sammy.i panned accross the lawn to get the green and all colours and clarity came out perfect.i did notice on the camera that when panning accross the grass very quickly it didn't focus 100% all the time and i think this is the cause of the smudgy grass effect that some people are seeing on dlp's.it bares out the fact that you won't get better coming out than what is going in.

12. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    croozer out of interest what settings are you using for your colour etc, standard cinema etc etc. i have a sammy too and want to see what settings u use

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is an impressive tv though......even in Curry's :D

i expect it'll look huge at home...but it doesn't amongst all the rest

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    croozer sounds like you've got a decent camera if it saves tiff files at 28MB what model have you got?
    the 3.5MB jpeg will be fine in this case as you'll be downsizing to 120KB.
    Any camera is going to blur if you pan very quickly.
    I believe the one tone smudgy grass you see watching football is too much compression & is related to the banding /halo problem of DLP's , you can read more about it in the sticky.

15. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    my sony v1 saves in tiff format ut it takes ages to write in that format as its a large file. plus there really isnt that much detail as you will lose most of it when u save it in jpeg so it defeats the object to save in tiff

16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What saving a photo as a Tiff does is enable you to adjust levels to bring out all the detail in the blacks & to some extent the white's & when saving a copy as a jpeg you should still see an improvement.For most people Tiff offer's no advantge .For the best photo's you take ie wedding photo's potrait shot's you should allway's use raw if available or Tiff & then on your computer save as a photoshop file.

17. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    yes but for posting here its no good saving as tiff im my opinion

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    of course indie it's what i said post 15 use the 3.5MB :)

19. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    oh man i cant read, need to go back to school, teachers always said dont scan read inbetween the lines :thumbsup: :lesson:

20. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably my posts give information overload .
    I think Razor scan reads i had to say the same thing 3 times today in another thread :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

21. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    :lesson: razor you went same school as me :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indie24,i'll write the settings down that i use and post them but don't forget our eyes are different. St ve the camera is a sony f828 running on ms pro.the advantage of the raw file in the camera is basically that when you have it on your computer you are still looking through the lens and can alter a lot of the parameters as though it were the camera itself,you can't do as much with a normal file.

23. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bet his Mrs wasn't happy when she came home to find the kitchen worktop gone! :D

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Raw is best i used to use it a lot when i had the nikon D100
    if you have the wrong white balance it's so easy to correct. If you can save raw files the tiff option is useless takes a long time to write a file to memory takes up more space in memory , i never understood why they included it on the Nikon D100.

You should be able to take great shots of your sammy screen showing a picture with your 8MB camera keep your iso to 100 to avoid noise
    & try setting the zoom to 80mm & f5.6 as a lens is normally sharpest in the middle of it's range . i'd use the raw mode if i were you a lot easier to get a good picture .On the RD50 there's a button to freeze the picture on the screen which comes in very handy. Does your camera work with Adobe Photoshop raw plugin ?

25. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve - Have you been on here all night m8? :D

I've got a question for you Mr Bailey :)

When i take photos with my Cannon Powershot G5 - and take them into the likes of ASDA, Jessops etc., they allways cut the tops and bottoms of things like feet and head, or i have to select fit to page which then places white bands down each side of the photo. Is there a way around this? - as for one - i took a CD into ASDA the other lunch hour, had 240 photos on it, and didn't fancy having to select each individual photo and then select fit to page for each one, i started doing this on about 10 and then had enough and ran out of time, took the CD out and had to go back to work!

I've started to change the size of the photo in Photoshop to 6 x 4 (well photoshop automatically chooses 4.5 when you select 6 - so its 6 x 4.5) but i've still got to change the size on 240 photos! :mad: Is there a way that i can get around this? :confused:

26. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    soni, what resolution you taking photos of? any mp camera with a photo taken will have to crop top and bottom so it will fit on a standard 6x4 photo. my sony has a resolution called 3:2 or something like that which will take the photo in native 6x4 format so no cropping is required it will fit straight onto a 6x4 page. try to look in your camera settings for photo sizes in MP it may have a 6x4 setting

27. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Indie - I'll have a look and let you know! :smashin:

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes easy send them to me i'll do them £10 a photo
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Photoshop has a couple of things you can use Actions , this is a great feature say you want to create a picture of flames but you'd like to be able to repeat your actions anytime. Here's an example ,make sure actions is ticked under window at the top of the page
    At the bottom of the action window there are some icons in order they are
    Stop recording, Begin Recording. Play , Create new Set,Create new action & trash can for deleting actions or steps in actions.
    First :Create a new set (folder) & call it my actions
    second: create new action & call it flame's & then press the round button to begin recording
    2a:Create a new image go Ctrl n select a preset of 800x600 & a resolution of 72 pixels per inch
    3 : click on the foreground & select a red ,repeat for the background but select yellow
    4:Go to filter/ render / & apply clouds then apply difference clouds about half a dozen times
    5: reset your foregroud & background colours to the deault by clicking on the small black & white squares & click on stop recording (now to see it in action close your flames picture & press play with your action highlighted)

Another one is Batch goto file/automate & select batch then select your source folder where your photo's are then select the set with the action you want and the action & then apply it by clicking on ok

Using Batch would only work if all you photos are the same size to begin with
    if you have been altering then in photoshop by cropping or changing image sizes for individual photos don't use batch. Allway's work on a copy of the images
    an example of using batch :every photo is 1000X800 at 300ppi (pixels per inch)in size & you need them resized to 800x600 at 72 ppi
    just record an action & apply the action to all your photos using batch

There are a lot more option's under automate i havent got around to using yet that might be usefull
    First thing you've got to find out is what aspect ratio & image size Asda expect's your digital photo's to be . It might be something simple like they are printing at 300 dpi (dots per inch) & your photos are 400dpi

actions are really easy i made the flame one in about a minute probably take you 5 minutes first time.
    To make a more realistic picture of flame's you can create more layers & experiment with blending modes of the layers , distort layers .change aspect ratios ,apply different filters the possibilites are endless.

Attached Files:

29. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soni allways make sure if you are changing the image size that you have the constrain aspect ratio ticked. :)

If your Photos are 6x4.5 and you need 6x4 output change the 4.5 to 4 & the width will change to 5.3 but this will leave you with white borders
    You could crop a 1/4" top and bottom & record it as part of the action
    and if you insert a stop command before the crop the action will pause while you select the part you want to crop , set the crop tool to 6"x4" at the resolution of your photo.
    You can insert a stop command while recording an action or later , with the action palette active select the step before the one where you want the action to stop then click the triangle to the right for a drop down list and select insert stop

30. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your advice Steve :smashin: I'll have a play :)