Sammy 5 series, Sony V3000, Toshiba XF - which one?!

ActualWinners

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm changing my TV and have narrowed my selection down to one of the following:
Samsung LE40A556/7/8/9 (What's the deal with the last digit?)
Sony KDL-40V3000
Toshiba 46XF355DB

The Tosh is the 46" version because it's physical size due to the thin bezel makes it barely any bigger physically than the other two. Pllus it's only £800 at Comet!

Anyway, what would you recommend? I really want the Sony (even though it's an old model) but having seen it up against the Toshiba and Samsung in Comet, I didn't rate the PQ too highly but I guess this could be down to setup? Having said that, even in my local Sony Centre, it didn't impress me.

Maybe there are other choices I'm overlooking in the £600 - £800 price range...

Main uses will be SD TV via Sky+ (possibly with move to Sky HD soon), gaming and BluRay with the PS3. PC connected via RGB D-Sub or DVI>HDMI @ probably 1280x720 or 1366x768.

Thanks in advance!

I d get the V3000 better than all.second choice is the A5 but I classify it behind the V3000 because the 24p is juddery

I have the samsung and am completly happy with it, I had a SD panasonic plasma before this and the LCD completely blows it out the water (even for SD material). I dont have a blu-ray player so cant comment on the 24p judder that people talk about but I believe that you can set your ps3 to 60htz to get around this problem. The sony gets very good reviews but I just dont like the look of the screen.

I've got the V3000 and rate it very highly with the right source. God knows what they were feeding it in the stores and the other TVs could have had the colour and contrast maxed out to "pop" a little. Viewing on the high street isn't always good as they don't calibrate the sets so it is hard to compare. My V3000 looks awesome being fed a 1080p picture from my laptop for surfing, editing and bluray playback. My bd30 bluray player also looks very good with standard picture tweaks - the laptop has a profile I created for the tv using an eye-one display 2 calibrator and looks superb.

I don't really rate the Tosh's, the blacks just don't seem great despite the claimed contrast ratios. The sony V4000 looks to be a little better with contrast and is available for more or less the same as the 3000 - I paid £730 for my v3000 a couple of months back and you can now get the v4000 for around £750 online. I personally prefer the look of the v3000 and the spec is very decent so it was the ideal choice. I generally buy Sony when it comes to tv.

ive got the v3000, nice tv,go for it :thumbsup:
madstuff what settings you using for sky?

Well, thanks all. That has served to restore my confidence in going for the Sony. I have been toying with the idea for about 2 months now as I am so indecisive. Still, as they're last of the line now, I can get one for about £620!

I too don't like the look of the V4000 although I have been tempted by the W4000 which can be had for less than £900. Now off to find a good price for a HT-IS100 to go with it :)

with such budget the 40V4000 is still the best choice

the W3000 doesnt offer better PQ than V4000 and also has worse blacks vs the V4000.The only missing is the HD TV tuner and the WCG-CCFL along with 10bit panel/xv colour

ive got the v3000, nice tv,go for it :thumbsup:
madstuff what settings you using for sky?
I started with the settings in the owners thread and then tweaked them a little to suit. Similar settings for blu though the blacks could be a little better but can't do much without getting it professionally calibrated. I calibrate the tv when using it with my laptop as I have a colorimeter (eye-one display 2) since I'm a photographer. I'll evetually ditch the bd30 and build a htpc and the image will be much better then - the difference between the calibrated laptop and the bd30 and tv settings is massive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom