Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Same speakers in each corner?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lesmond, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Folks, I'm putting together a speaker package (for music & HT).

Should I match the speakers that I use at the rear to the ones at the front? I'm going for standmounts for both front and rear, plus a centre and a sub (already bought, from UncleEric :smashin: )

The idea was, to get a pair of reasonably sized standmounts for the front (looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze B2's), but I was wondering if I should get the same for the rear, or save £100 and go for the smaller B1's?

On the specs sheet, the B1s have less low end frequency response (B1's are 55Hz-22KHz, B2's are 42Hz-22Khz) and less power handling (B1's 70W, B2's 100W).

From my limited knowledge, I guess if I go for the B1s, it'll be a little more difficult to set up, with regards to choosing a cross over frequency for the sub, to compensate for the gap between the two types of speaker (i.e. choosing a frequency somewhere between 42Hz and 55Hz?). Another issue is the difference between the power handling - will I need to be cautious because of the less power handling of the rears?

Are these concerns justified, or in reality will it make any difference, technically speaking?

On the other hand, will the actual *sound* be any different between having lesser rear speakers as opposed to the same as the fronts?

:lesson: I've been told it'll be fine for home theatre, but if I was to use multi channel audio (which I may well do), I should have all the corner speakers the same spec.... :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Were you also told that the rear speakers should also be the same distance away from the listener as the front speakers as multi channel audio is mastered differently.

3. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No I wasn't.... :rolleyes:

But I don't have a lot of choice here because of the size of the room. The only place that the speakers can go will be along the same parallel as the sofa, pointing at each other (with the sofa in between).

Les

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Different people will have different ideas about how to spend your money for you but my philosophy is that 90% of all soundtracks come out of the front so that's where 90% of the speaker budget should go.

It doesn't really work in practice but those people that listen to music a lot will only be using two speakers for much of the time so I believe that the budget should be tipped in favour of the fronts.

In my own system, my front three speakers retailed at £1,500 and the rear pair at £200.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Lesmond
    I have to agree with Ian in that when listening to music it is preferable to have a good set up at the front. I listen to cds in stereo with the sub and the quality you get is much better than multi channel so if youve got a really good front set up you can have the best of both worlds as lesser back speakers wont upset the quality of an av set up .
    Gonzo.:)

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Ian on this, the fronts are the most critical and surrounds do not need to be an exact match to obtain good sounds.

7. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks all!