1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

same old question, want to buy a tv but which one?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by reflectivetrev, Sep 3, 2003.

1. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    COmpletely new to all this, but have just bought myself a marantx amp and dvd player. I'm a big fan of movies and am looking for the sharpest picture out their but also want a pretty big screen.

I've been reading all you comments and am going to take a look at a few Loewe tvs this weekend, but I'm a little bit concerned about the screen size. First rookie question! Most of the Loewe tvs are 32" but have a 30" picture or something like that, what does this mean?

I have also been looking at 36" tvs as an alternative (KD36NX200), the Sony ones in particular. Second rookie question! How do you rate the Sony 36" tvs and the Digital Reality Technology they use?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    30" is the actual viewable area but the screen extends a few inches beyond this and manufacturers include it to make the screen sound more impressive. :)

I've had a Sony 36" (KV-36FS70) for 2 years and the DRC100 is superb except for fast moving images (football is often mentioned) and fast moving credits which tend to blur (the processing can't keep up with fast changes) PQ drops considerably too. I never watch sport so it's not an issue for me.
    You can drop this to DRC50 (50Hz) but are likely to notice flicker especially on a 36" TV.

I'm mostly concerned with DVD quality which is excellent.

The only thing I wish was that I had known about CRT projectors before parting with my hard earned...

There are a few issues with any large screen which have been dealt with in numerous threads on this site (do a search before buying)

Geometry is almost always a bit skewed (you'll never get it perfect - but you can get it reasonable) and some WEGA's are known to make a high pitch buzz when 100Hz in switched on. I havn't been affect by this but others have.

Also the WEGA can get tinted corners (this usually goes with a restart) as if there is a magnetic field intefering with the screen

Whatever widescreen you go for it will have some niggles sadly.

hth
    Owen

3. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help, but after reading a thread or two on here i have just gone and bought the panasonic 36" PD30, it sounds like a few people have one or two good words to say on this one!!

4. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Enjoy! :)