1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same Amp-feeding 2 rooms?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by b crowden, Mar 1, 2003.

1. b crowden

b crowden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, im looking for help connecting up a Marantz Sr4200. I want the option of be able to use the amp in 2 rooms but not at same time. i.e i want full surround options in both rooms. im not sure if connecting up duplicate speakers would damage amp output especially the subwoofer o/p.
    Any suggestions would be great, the reason for this is i will be locating all my a/v equipment centrally.

Also I am looking for decent flat speakers for walls and ceiling speakers for stereo sound upstairs. Any comments reviews??

Many Thanks

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You would have to use an external speaker switch unit, but i don't know if it even excist such a switcher.
    But whatever you do, do NOT drive 2 pair of speakers in all channels at once, your amp will not handle that load.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my sony TA-FB740R 2ch amp handles my load of about 2ohms at quite high volumes without a problem. but does get alittle hot...

I dont think this is healthy... but I like powering 3 pairs of speakers at the same time... :clap:

(ps I have pair of Tannoy R2 in main room[6ohm], Wharfedale Valdus 400's[8ohm] in Conservatory and a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis 2[8ohm] in the kitchen....)
    The amp has speaker A/B so, the Tannoys and Acoustics run A/B respectively. And I have speaker switcher unit in "A" for the Wharfedales)

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put three pairs of Martin Logans to your Sony, and see the Sony melt!

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If I'm reading you right ... you want a set of all 5 speakers in each room.

In this case you'll have to buy 3 2-channel switched (I've never seen a 6 channell switch) plug a 2-way input expander to switch the two subs. Try to get the type that only allows you to sellect A or B, not the one that allows you to select A and B at the same time as it will put strain on your amp.

When you want room A ... set all four switches (3x speaker plus input expander) to A, when you want room B ... set them all to B.

Okay so this isn't the most elegant solution, but it will work.

Hope this helps
    Vikki