1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salvaging an iPod Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nadface, Oct 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nadface

nadface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hola!

My mates 4G 20GB has gone bust. Presuming that the Hard Drive is all okay is there any way of salvaging the data on it? Either taking the hard drive out and connecting it up to my PC (how?) then mounting it as an iPod and using Copy Pod to retrieve the music collection, or any other ideas?

Oh, and if my iPod mini is of any use in concucting a solution then it's a viable option!

Cheers!

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The interface is a CF-type IDE interface, but CF readers (even Microdrive-safe ones) will burn out by the current required for the 1.8" HDD drive.

All I can suggest is a CF IDE->regular IDE pin converter. I haven't seen such a thing though... If you mount it this way, then since it's FAT32 formatted (if you initialised the iPod on a PC) you should be able to read the disc.

If you can't get programs like Copypod to recognise the IDE-mounted iPod drive, it's probably easier to just copy the hidden iPod_Control music folders off, then use a mass tag-based renamer to rebuild the filenames.

3. nadface

nadface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers!

Would there be any hardware conflicts with sticking the HD in another iPod of the same model to retrieve the data?

Ta!

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Not to my knowledge. BTW, buy a guitar pick if you don't have an iPod specific tool which some 3rd party battery manufacturers supply.