Saluting Suspiria - article discussion

Chris McEneany

Prominent Member
Reaction score
In celebration of Suspiria's new limited edition German Blu-ray release, we can examine once again, and in greater detail, just how this dark and unusual horror classic has managed to maintain its reputation as one of the genre’s genuine masterworks.

For me, one of the eeriest scenes in Suspiria is at the very beginning. Jessica Harper walking towards the airport exit, Goblin's score providing a menacing undertone...and then what happens? The wind and rain merely blow the doors open just as she exits, causing her scarf to dance in the wind. Something decidedly eerie about that, and we haven't even got to the dance school yet. And, of course, the film can rightly sit beside The Red Shoes, Red Desert and Kustom Kar Kommandos on a listing of the films with the most innovative use of colour.

A great read, Chris. Many thanks.

Is it that good, do we think?

Is it?

I mean it's a fantastic opening, the first ten minutes or so. You feel like you've been in a boxing ring with Ali...and your hands tied behind your back.

And after that, well there's a couple or three decent set pieces, and a whole load of pretty poor film making, isn't there?

Plot, character development, who needs it? Well, if we had 90 minutes which were on and off as exhilarating as the opening, fair enough, it'd be unnecessary. But the film's reputation, as with much Argento, is built on a few set pieces stringing together quite a lot of not very much.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be without it in my collection, and the Synapse release will be snapped up as soon as it appears.

Not sure the kids will appreciate it, though. My cinema room is bang on top of their bedrooms.

Steve W

Great read, Suspiria is one of my favourite Argento films. Although, I have a soft spot for Phenomena after seeing the butchered version 'Creepers' as a child, who didn't want their own maggot pit and psycho monkey after watching that film:D. It's a pity the likes of Argento and Carpenter haven't managed to recreate anything close to their best work in their latter years.

I made something of a fan music video from Suspiria a couple of years ago, hope it's alright to post it here, if not I'll remove it. Not trying to do a Zane Lowe and better the original score as I love Suspiria's soundtrack, I made the music years ago and thought Suspiria's imagery would fit nicely to the composition.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom