Salesmen who didn't want to sell!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sonysideup, Dec 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having taken your advice over the past couple of weeks, I finally narrowed my search for an lcd tv to the sony Klvl32m1. however, as I was in london, I thought I'd pop into the sony centre on tottenham court road to see the beast in action. I had no intention of buying it there but i wanted to put it through its paces.

So imagine my surprise when the salesman told me don't buy the TV and instead keep your powder dry. He claimed it's not worth buying it until high definition becomes the norm.

i told him I wanted the TV for films, dvds, football and general television (soaps, kids programmes etc) and he trotted out the usual stuff about lcds struggling with football. He admitted there has been considerable progress with lcds dealing with fast motion but he maintained only dvds would look good and normal programmes wouldn't be that great - even with a sky digital feed.

I must admit this goes against the advice and experience of people on this forum and the two magazine reviews have both said this is an excellent tv whether it be a digital or analogue source. They also say there is little or no smearing on fast objects.

So what do I do? Who's right? Has this man got a point or is he talking out of his backside?

Any views are welcome.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Well it hasn't got DVI-HDCP or HDMI so it wouldn't even be worth buying when HD became the norm.

He is also wrong regarding his other points. There is no reason why it would not be good for SD broadcasts.

3. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ian
    sorry if this sounds naive.....can you please explain why it wouldn't be worth buying when hi-def comes in. presumably there must be some way of connecting it or it wouldn't be compatible at all. if that is the case, can you recommend an alternative?

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Because it has been revealed this week that the boxes for $ky's HDTV broadcasts (due in 2006) will use HDMI (with HDCP).
    Therefore, there will be no way to connect via component
    (Y Pr Pb) and standard DVI LCDs (without HDCP) won't work produce HD resolutions either. They should still work for $ky News or any other channels where they decide not to enable the HDCP bits - but this limitation takes the edge off for me at least.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that advice, Chris. that has just saved me from a very expensive mistake. So now i move back to my other two choices the Sharp a3 and the philips 32pf9986. can someone please confirm these are hi def compatible with sky.

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sharp is, see my response from Sharp on another thread :smashin: