1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sale of Goods Act / warranties

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DrunkenDuck, Jul 7, 2005.

1. DrunkenDuck

DrunkenDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I will be buying an LCD tv very shortly and hate buying extended warranties.

I work in retail and know that "white goods" in particular are covered by the Sale of Goods Act which means no-one should ever need to buy extended warranties due them having to last a "resonable" amount of time (approx 3-5 years). My employer will never offer to repair an item out of its 12month warranty but if quoted the Sale of Goods Act then they will every time.

So my question is .... Does this also apply to electrical goods in general and therefore mean no extended warranty is required ??
    Has anyone used the Act to arrange repairs (for tv's etc ) outside normal warranty succesfully ?

Passing the Buck (report on retailers ingoring consumer irghts)

DTI fact sheet

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you should read this thread :)

The SOGA leaves a lot of vague terms which would only be resolved in a court room. You might want to go to court over a £2000 plasma, but probably not over a £150 fridge, or a £200 DVD recorder.

3. DrunkenDuck

DrunkenDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thread link....think i'll duck for cover now after reading that

LCD value was to be around £1500

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The SOGA and other consumer laws are really designed to protect the consumer against inherent faults caused by poor design of common failures. They don't mean that you get a 5 year guarantee on everything as some believe (and of course would like). Most manufacturers would go bust if that were the case.