Saint Maud Movie Review & Comments

Really looking forward to this as it's very much my jam. Missed it's sold out screenings at the Glasgow Film Festival Frightfest (remember packed cinemas and festivals which weren't streamed?) but the reaction from friends was extremely positive. Between this and Aussie horror Relic, it's great to see fresh, original horror from debuting talent.

Nice review Tom. I might have gone for a 7 too, but the ending left such an impression on me I had to bump it up to a respectable 8. Was thinking about it for some time after the credits rolled and I suspect there is some re-watch value to be had. Definitely looking forward to what the director comes up with next.

Not sure which crummy British seaside town they used for the film (there are plenty of choices).

I went to Empire Cinema today to see this. I thought it was very good, extremely unsettling. I've got home and this film is all I can think about, and probably will be a lot over the next few days.

An interesting watch, if not an entirely enjoyable one. Not a horror, a dark psychological drama, well performed, but not a huge amount going on beyond the surface. Worth a look, not one I feel the need to see again however. 7/10

Was enjoying this especially in its excellent use of Scarborough and the promising anticipation of things to come, then the total drivel of the last 15 mins hit like a sack of unwanted bricks totally ruining everything that had come before.6/10

6/10 for me (caught last night on Prime). Not my fave horror genre to be fair.

Third viewing at home, and was beginning to worry that it had lost its shine. but pretty soon it starts kicking off again and its ever increasing anxiety and Morfydd Clark's unpredictable performance work their magic once again. The final shot is an absolute doozy. 8/10

Also the sound design is impeccable. I'm usually very unimpressed with streamed film soundtracks. but the Amazon Prime one is first rate.

Cheers for the heads up. I missed this first time round, so will pop it on the list. For this weekend hopefully.

Might give this a go tonight, although I have just spotted Colour Out Of Space is also on Prime and I’ve been meaning to watch that for ages.

Might give this a go tonight, although I have just spotted Colour Out Of Space is also on Prime and I’ve been meaning to watch that for ages.
Watch Colour Our of Space if you want some fun, freakiness and bad acting.

Watch Saint Maud if you want to some darkness, freakiness and superb acting.

Both are pretty good, not great, but definitely pretty good.

Watch Colour Our of Space if you want some fun, freakiness and bad acting.

Watch Saint Maud if you want to some darkness, freakiness and superb acting.

Both are pretty good, not great, but definitely pretty good.

I’m gonna aim for a double bill. 😁

I’m gonna aim for a double bill. 😁
Having seen both, that's A LOT of darkness for one evening. And after seeing each of them, in both cases I needed something very lighthearted to go bed on.

6/10 for me (caught last night on Prime). Not my fave horror genre to be fair.
Feel a bit bad giving a less than enthusiastic response to this given how much most people seemed to get out of it. Sure, the performances were great, the sense of foreboding was palpable, and the last ten minutes were very surprising, but I think it was always going to be an uphill struggle as horror is one of my least favourite genres. I'll watch anything if it has something new and interesting to say, but this just didn't quite work for me.

8/10 in terms of admiration of filmmaking.
5/10 in terms of enjoyment.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom