SagemHD-D45 The Frosty Screen caused by

St_ve

Standard Member
Reaction score
I think i have found out why the SagemHD-D45 has the frosty screen & poor picture quality.

I saw this today
Grain was particularly evident when the camera panned daylight skies. In that case, I saw a distracting, stationary scrim of what looked like granulated sugar laid over the picture. This is a problem with most contemporary displays, caused by companies' using screens of higher and higher output in an attempt to produce brighter and brighter picture

See link for the full article
http://ultimateavmag.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/1204jvc/

My opinion is Sagem have messed up badly with this screen in order to boost the brightness & to be able to claim their set is brighter than others.
All DLP set's i have seen have been bright enough & to try & make them brighter still & mess up the picture is just plain stupid. :suicide:

Just been forced to take the wife shopping & i had a look at the current crop of home cinema magazines while i was waiting.
Coverage of DLP sets in all of them are very poor
What Hifi Sound & Vision April 2005 didn't mention DLP sets but when i looked in the best buy section at the back of the magazine i did spot a couple of DLP sets
Under Widescreen TVs amongst all crt sets they had The Sagem Axium 50" DLP set any of you hoping to buy this set will be dissapointed to learn it has had a price increase to £2800 & now only rates 3 stars.
Under the Plasma section i spotted 3 more DLP sets
the 50" Sammy at £3500 A Sim2 set at £7000 & the Optoma RD50 at £2000
There was only 7 plasma sets to have rated 5 stars & 3 of them were DLP sets
or maybe they are DLP plasma hybrids as a RD50 owner perhaps someone can give me some tips on the care of my new plasma :devil:
There was no mention of the Sagem Axium HD 50 having a HDCP problem nor the Optoma RD50 having a NTSC problem
It's no wonder people make mistakes buying DLP set's considering the lack of information in the magazines & the poor quality of demo you can expect in Comets.
If the PC & camera magazines can give us uptodate reviews of new products often before it arrives in the shops why can't the Home Cinema magazines.
How long will it be before they review the Sagem 45 or the Toshiba DLPs
& the Samsung 46" :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

If the frosty screen effect turns out to be due to having a screen designed to pass more light they might be able to improve things by dimming the ouput of the light bulb which as a side effect will a give a longer bulb life or by replacing the existing bulb with a different one with a lower output. :rolleyes:

Weird thing I noticed, if you stand close to the screen and are too high for the picture ie. it dims because of the vertical angle you are looking at it, then the 'granulated sugar' effect (what an excellent description :) ) disappears.

I take it then that if you could dim the display then it would reduce Mr. Frosty?

@ Lion:
the winner was the samsung,thomson came last.
and why do you post this into the "Sagem HD45 frosty screen thread?" did I miss something? :)

@Steve
a screen designed to pass more light they might be able to improve things by dimming the ouput of the light bulb
Yeah Steve, as Sagem successfully solved the HDCP problem on the HD50, Sagem will easily replace the screen with a new and better one.

hehe :D

Lion said:
last week I picked up "what home cinema" march issue,
they did a group test of rear projection sets...

sony 42SX300
toshiba 42WH46
toshiba 46WM48p
thomson 50DLY645
samsung sp50LZ7HX
loewe articos 55

the winner was the samsung,
thomson came last. :laugh:
That is typical of the cr*p reviews they do in these mags, they are not even any use as toilet paper( too shiny not absorbent enough)
The Sony is a LCD rear pro
The Toshiba 42WH46 & Thomson 50DLY645 are CRT rear projection sets
The Lowe articos is a DLP set but has a HD2 chip & costs $6000 i spent 5 minutes trying to find out how much it costs in UK before giving up however that's some indication as how relevent it is to the UK market:suicide:
The toshiba 46WM48p is the only DLP set the samsung sp50LZ7HX was competing against in the UK market so it's hardly surprising it came up smelling of roses.

Lion i hope u only picked up the mag & had a browse before putting it back on the newstand :devil:

Steve

There was no mention of the Sagem Axium HD 50 having a HDCP problem nor the Optoma RD50 having a NTSC problem
It's no wonder people make mistakes buying DLP set's considering the lack of information in the magazines

When I first recieved my RD65 and noticed the region 1 judder I wrote off to all the magazines informing them of the problem. Only 1 magazine/person replied and that was Home Cinema Choice, writer John Archer. He published a news article for the Home Cinema Choice web site

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7297

He also contacted me by email and suggested a few ideas to rid the RD65 of the problem. I found John Archer a total gentlemen and I appreciated all the help he gave me.

There is also a mention of the region 1 judder in the review and the RD65 is penialised for the lack of NTSC compatibilty.

There are so many magazines out there and in my opinion most of them are rubbish, the only one I take seriously is Home Cinema Choice.

Lion said:
" Lion i hope u only picked up the mag & had a browse before putting it back on the newstand "

well st_ve I actually bought it as it had my jvc hdd recorder in a group test, it didn't win :(

in the mag it says the thomson set is their first dlp in the UK ?
and they say the loewe is £4,750.

Sorry Lion i did a quick search on thomson 50DLY645 & on the kelco site it said it was a 100hrz set
i saw the home cinema site & there are 3 reviews of it definately a DLP set.

Razor Home Cinema Choice are the best of a pretty bad bunch but even they do not have a review of the Samsung 46 or Sagem 45 or the Tosh 52.
The magazines should be reviewing these sets before they come to market so they can advise purchasers of picture quality & any defects they have.
If i want to buy a new digital camera i can often read a review before it comes to market in the UK or within a week or two at the very latest why should you have to wait 6 months or more for an informed honest review of a DLP set.
:oops: That would be too much to hope for i should have said 6 months or more for a review of a DLP set :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Very true steve. In most industries the magazines get a review out of the model before it is released to the public. Music, Games, Cars, PC hardware etc.....

Yes but 9 times out of 10 the magazines don't pick up on problems/faults that it takes the general public 5 minutes to notice. I'm astonished the number of times something gets a glowing review only to be shown to be a proper white elephant when it hits the market. This shouldn't be happening!

Andy

This months Home Cinema Choice mag has a review of the Sagem 45.
:)

Mags and manufacturers a close breed. Mags would be better if printed on absorbent paper IMV.
Compared to this Forum (and one or two others) it becomes clear what they are, pamphlets.

Guy that own a reasonable hi-hi shop in my county was telling me about kit beingsent tomags for review, coming back unopened and still getting a great review in the mag.
Aprocryphal ? maybe - or maybe not. We were not discussing any particular kit, just chewing the fat while I drooled over a 1080i (from Sateliite) picture being shown.

Huge amount of smoke and mirrors in this game, - enormous amount.

rant over=true (don't know for how long though...)

'This months Home Cinema Choice mag has a review of the Sagem 45'

So I assume it mentions the frostiness of the screen and the blurring and solarisation then?

Andy

zAndy1 said:

So I assume it mentions the frostiness of the screen and the blurring and solarisation then?

Andy
I would be surprised if it didn't get 5 stars

" the only very minor drawback to this magnificent set is a slightly frosty screen that i find very attractive & does not distract from the immense viewing pleasure that this set provides in such abundance." :devil: :rolleyes:

Zandy i find camera & PC mags to be pretty open & honest .Top Gear on the BBC love slating a car when it's not up to scratch.The only exception is the AV mags where the reviews are 6 months late & even then lack information of defects.
Surely the reviewers of these magazines are interseted in the subject.When a new DLP set comes out don't they go check them out :suicide:
Anyway i think i've got it all of my chest & i feel a bit better now, i'll probably be all right now untill i see next month's rags

One company has always puzzeled me and that was BOSE. They advertise so much in the mags and they never get a review. I have had the AM15 from BOSE for over 5 years and at the time they were the only satelite speaker you could get apart from the cheap sony kits. I have never seen a review for the AM15 or the AM15 II's. In the US they rate these speakers but in the UK there is only adverts. I know BOSE is not the last word in HIFI speakers but they do the job very well and they are very small and non intrusive, lould and clear (good bass). Why have they not reviewd these speakers. They review the KEF speakers and rate them highly. I have heard the KEFs and they are not as good as the BOSE not saying that the KEF is rubbish just not as good as the BOSE. They distort at a lot lower volume and the sound quality can not match the BOSE. A good friend of mine purchased the KEFs and sold them within 6 months for the BOSE. So how comes the KEF get reviewed and given a high mark and the BOSE is overlooked. The only BOSE I have seen reviewed is their lifestlye systems.

Years ago i remember having a demo of a pair of Kef's cannot remember the model but they sounded bland a couple of months later i heard the same model with a different set up/room & they were great. I think its a lot easier having a demo of a DLP set than Hi fi

Dont get me wrong I think the KEFs are good speakers too. Just prefer the BOSE. Either way there is still no reviews of the BOSE speakers :(

do you know Boston Acoustics?

I once had a car ( it was a mini cooper), there was installed Boston Acoustics speaker in the back.

That was the best sound I ever heard from some speakers.

Now I have bought a set of Canton Speakers for home about 800€ and I found them not to sound very good. I think it is the room acoustics that make the bass sound bad.

But these Boston speakers were sounding extremly fine detailed in the highs and had a precise bass, like a good monitor, but for the car. lol

Sadly nearly no retailer is selling these here in Germany as the Optoma Rd50.

I think I live in the wrong country.
:)

zAndy1 said:

Andy

Just had a quick nose in the mag whilst getting some shopping in, true enough absolutely no mention of the sugary frosting... [hey maybe they should get Tony the Tiger to advertise this TV..back to reality]...they did mention however some settings to get the best picture and it mentioned (from memory, don't shoot me if I'm out slightly) sharpness 0, brightness 46, contrast 42, and switch to economy mode (can't remember the other bits) but this must help to reduce the glitter effect?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom