Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Sagem update

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bandog, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, got my Sagem G4 last week and what a load of rubbish. The sound quality is so poor it is unbelievable and the PQ is worse. There is pinstriping all across the screen making it unwatchable. Called John Lewis who said it was beyond there engineers and to call Sagem. Called Sagem and the guy on the phone did not know anything and told me he would book an engineer. Cool I thought.

A couple od days passed and I recieve a phone call from the same guy in Sagem telling me, that as it is a brand new model they don't have the know-how to fully help me and just to return it to John Lewis for a replacement.

I have now gone for the Sony Bravia LCD Digital Widescreen Television, KDLS50A12, 50 Inch.

Anyone have thoughts on the Sony Vs the Sagem?

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you've possibly made the two "worst choices" there are.

If I HAD to pick between the Sony and the Sagem, definately Sagem (even with my world reknowned dislike for some of their products)

I have owned the 56B, the 45S and the new 50 G4.

The 50G4 is a good set.

The older ones are crapola.

The 50G4 is WAY better than the Sony, I've tested both of them thoroughly and the the Sagem handles way better.

Better color depth, brightness, sharpness...

3. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've auditioned both the Sagem and the Sony side by side 3 times in the last fortnight and the Sagem looked awful to me every time.
    The Sony was beaten slightly by the pedestal Samsung but not by much.
    I'm undecided between the Samsung and the Sony but the Sagem was the first one crossed off my list.

4. Bluecube

Bluecube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You must've been looking at a dodgy feed then. There is absolutely no way that the Sagem would be beaten by an LCD based Sony. I chose a Sagem HD45 cause it had the best picture of any TV (plasma, LCD, rear projection) by a considerable margin. The pictures on the LCD projector TVs were nothing short of appalling.

5. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to audition the Sony and the Samsung again today so i will add the Sagem to the mix again in case i had a bad demo.

What is the difference between the technology that Sagem use and that for Samsung?....do they use the same chips/parts?

I know very little about Sagem as a company.

6. mpaul0055

mpaul0055

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    WOW So people actually do like Sagem, From whats been said on this forum the Sony 50" Lcd is a very good set. Certainly not appalling bluecube!!

Best bet is to demo them yourself.

7. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    khmt x 3, so you actually rate the sagem 50 g4? as i posted before, i saw one locally and almost bought it on the spot but decided to do more research. reading posts like your problems with various sagem sets put me off and i was all set to buy a panny 42 pe50 as a stopgap and have another look at dlp in a couple of years time when HD broadcasts go mainstream. HOWEVER, the sagem has now dropped in price to 2500€ (£1750) and it seems an awful lot of HD-ready TV for that money. then again, i don't fancy haggling about returning defective sets with french retailers who are notorious for telling you one thing when you buy and another when it's time to get something fixed.

8. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the sagem g4 for 5 days now, picture is great via component video. Slight fan noise is only gripe, and to be honest this isn't really a problem unless you like watching James Galway on low volume.
    When you demo the Sagem make sure that the feed is OK, but also that you view it from viewing height, I saw one in local comet that's mounted about 10 ft up on wall, picture via HD PC, I was not going to consider it, really poor. I then saw one in Comet on M6 by Wolverhampton, at right height with identical feed on same demo disc and immediately bought one (unfortunately for Comet from John Lewis).
    No regrets. (The samsung is sexier, but to be honest impractical if you have surround sound gear.

10. paulhazell

paulhazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've just returned from my local Comet after viewing the following sets;
    Sagem 45"
    Sagem 56"
    Sony 50"
    Samsung pedestal
    (excuse the lack of model numbers but you all know which sets i'm referring to)

On this viewing the Sagems had an HD demo feed running through them and oh my god how wrong can a guy be?....they were absolutely superb!
    I had no idea that a projector set could be as bright and as vivid as these two sets. Colours were superb, blacks were fine, motion was great, in fact i couldn't fault the 45" in any area at all. The 50" however had a strange "chicken wire" effect on the lighter area's of the picture, is this due to the increased screen size?...even viewing it from about 15 feet i could still see it. It was totally absent on the 45" so i switched feeds and it the problem was still there.
    As for the Sony, sadly it had no HIDEF feed so it was a slightly unfair comparison but even when switching to a freeview feed on all the sets (via crap RF cables obviously, this is Comet after all) the picture seemed positively dull in comparison to the Sagems. Blacks were very black but too black. All the shadows just merged into one and any subtle detail was hopelessly lost.
    The Samsung was extremely good on the freeview feed but again no HIDEF demo today. The Samsung is however a lot more expensive and i'm not convinced that the price difference is worth it. My other problem with the Samsung was screen modes. No matter what setting i used i couldn't get rid of what appeared to be a sideways stretching of the picture. Of course it could be that the other 3 sets were stretching vertically but the Samsung looked a lot less natural so i'm assuming it was the Samsung that was wrong.

So....(deep breath after all that)...i am now leaning further towards the Sagem. I would prefer the 56" but my "chicken wire" effect is bothering me. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Sorry for the extremely long post but if anyone can actually be bothered to get this far through it they must be able to offer some advice of some sort :thumbsup:

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,502
    I doubt these sets are intrinsically unable to do better than this. You don't say whether you simply looked, or tried adjusting. Shop TV setup skills = nil usually. And shop environments are typically much more brightly lit than you might see at home. This "lack of dark detail" may* simply be something which would come right in subdued light.

* may - as in, I wasn't there so I can't be sure.

12. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +807
  13. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I guess I am worried because the first Sagem I got (apart from the dirty big scratch in it) was an amazing picture and now that the SOny costs less, I think I will be getting less TV.

14. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's harsh Bandog, I would have just got a replacement.

My problem now is the fan noise. My replacement is perfect... apart from the fan noise. It's incredible, I can hear it when the volume is over 50. Looks like another replacement for me. Much, much louder than my first one.

Why does this happen to me... WHY!?!?!

;)