Sagem PVR's

mahalebi said:
Thank you for that. Is it worth upgrading from 0.3.9 to 0.4.4 ? I've read that this might not necessarily bring great improvements and may even introduce new problems ?

Also forgot to mention to potential buyers that the Sagem picture is excellent, particularly once I had adjusted the RGB output to 'low' through the menus. It also works well with a weak signal strength (my Humax did not work so well with my loft aerial).

Overall still going well. If any future firmware upgrades magically allow the box to record two channels simultaneously, then this box will take a lot of beating.

The one I bought came with a very early version, 2.2 or something so I couldn't compare. I would update to it as I have had no problems with it yet.

It eventually came up with an er09 and now I can use it and all of my recordings are there! Hoorah

And then I got the update to work fine on Sunday evening so everything is right in the world again. It had recorded everyhting I asked of it (4 x Corrie, 5 x Home and Away Couple of movies, MOTD, The Championship, etc) with no problem.

Glad you got it sorted out.:smashin:

I went on holiday as you came back, so I've only just got your PM - I replied before I read this thread, so ignore most of it...;)

There's another OAD provisionally scheduled for the 6200/6600 for this weekend, version 0.4.5MH. I'm not sure what it fixes, but 0.4.4MH didn't seem to do much any good...:(

My Advice?

Get a Topfield if you can afford it, a Humax is the next best option. I took my Sagem back to the shop and swapped it for a Humax - the build quality is far superior and its a lot quieter! And a lot more reliable.

I bought a Sagem PVR 72160 from Comet and generally I really like the design. However I have noted a number of crashes mentioned in this forum - such as selecting teletext.

The most concerning crash was triggered by trying to access one particular recording on the hard disk. I was thinking that there may have been a fault on the hard disk itself so took it back to Comet who I'm pleased to say changed the unit without any trouble atall.

It's only when I've been researching this problem that I've discovered through this forum (and others) that Sagem's appear to crash rather too often. As the design of the equipment is good I really hope that these problems are just software related and that Sagem eventually get this sorted.

I've enjoyed reading the posts and like the forum

in addition to all of the other issues/ woes mentioned here and elsewhere... i am now having a MAJOR problem

everytime i hit the RECORDING LIST button my sagem 6240 seems to shut itself down .... reinitialise and then go back to some default channel

this has been happening for the past 2 or 3 days

i don't believe that there has been any change to the software version in that time

what i have tried thus far:
- switching the box off at the mains
- doing a factory reset of the box

all to no avail :mad:

if anyone has any suggestions on how i can access my precious recordings i would greatly appreciate it :lease:

the more i own/ use the sagem the more i want to purchase a humax/ toppy :suicide: ... this thing is driving me bananas

oh... and one other thing.... i noticed that they had an upgrade of the firmware scheduled for today and yesterday..... currently mine seems be 0.44... with the upgrade listed as 0.45.... but the box has not kicked in to grab the update... is there a manual way of forcing it to do so?

thanks in addvance for any help provided :thumbsup:

yukiomishima

well well

more to my above post

it would appear that one of my recordings in the recordings list is corrupt

i have recoreded another program... and it is now at the top of the list (and the recording that it defaults to when you push the list button)..... but now... whenever i scroll thru to the item that was at the top of the list previously... the sagem crashes and reintialises

so... it would appear that i have a corrupt recording

is there anything that can be done to delete an item from the list (given that i cannot simply select it and delete it as the sagem crashes)

thanks in advance

yukiomishima

Yukiomishima - the problem you describe is precisely the problem I had with my previous Sagem PVR 72160, (see my previous post in this forum). After 1 particular recording, I found I couldn’t access the recording list without causing a reboot, until after I’d recorded something else. I then found whenever I tried to access the corrupt recording, that caused a reboot too.

I tried everyway I could think of to delete the recording without success. In fact that was the problem that caused me to find this forum. Then I realized that it could also signify a bad sector on the hard disk so erasing it would only be a temporary fix. That’s when I decided to take it back to the shop that sold it to me, (Comet). I was lucky to get a new machine without any hassle. The shop assistant tested the machine in the shop and agreed with me that it could be a hard disk problem.

I know you may want a magic solution but if you’ve not had the machine too long I’d try taking it back - if that’s practical. Has anyone else had the same problem or does anyone know what the real cause is?

lat002

thanks for the reply

unfort i have had the machine too long now to return it :rolleyes:

i guess i can try and live with that recording there... and just try to remember to avoid it whenever i am scrolling thru the list

i have just about had it with this thing anyway... despite all of the minor firmware updates etc etc... it still seems way too problematic/ unstable/ quirky to be something i can rely on, on a day to day basis (anyone want a sagem 6240t ;) ... going cheap)

thanks again for your confirmation of my deduction

yukioMishima

Now that BST has come to an end and we go backto GMT on Saturday night does anybody know whether my Sagem will automatically change the time on the clock?

Looking at the EPG for next weeks programs everything is an hour back from where it should be so des it take the time change into account? I haven't programmed anything in for next week because the time will be changed on my box one way or another and all those settings would be wrong.....

Now that BST has come to an end and we go backto GMT on Saturday night does anybody know whether my Sagem will automatically change the time on the clock?

Looking at the EPG for next weeks programs everything is an hour back from where it should be so des it take the time change into account? I haven't programmed anything in for next week because the time will be changed on my box one way or another and all those settings would be wrong.....

Very interesting, the clock does change automatically - and mine is showing Guide times being one hour out too.

There was an issue last year where any timers already set altered by one hour after the clocks went back, there was supposedly a firmware fix for this shortly after - I'm not sure if this is a further bug, or the 'fix'...:thumbsdow

well well

more to my above post

it would appear that one of my recordings in the recordings list is corrupt

i have recoreded another program... and it is now at the top of the list (and the recording that it defaults to when you push the list button)..... but now... whenever i scroll thru to the item that was at the top of the list previously... the sagem crashes and reintialises

so... it would appear that i have a corrupt recording

is there anything that can be done to delete an item from the list (given that i cannot simply select it and delete it as the sagem crashes)

thanks in advance

yukiomishima

Hi,

I had this problem - if you join the recording to another one, you should be able to delete it.

cheers

I've a 7280T and it does crash - for example when rewinding a program thats currently recording, at say x60, it seems to want to rewind past the start of the recording, gets confused and reboots. By the time its rebooted and you've started recording again you've missed a minute or two of the program...

That said I really like the Sagem, and I wouldnt be without it. If you can afford a more expensive box that does at least the same (hopefully more) and doesnt come with the niggles then go for it, otherwise you should go for the Sagem. Everyone should have a PVR - I couldnt imagine going back to sicking a massive cassette tape in a vcr, and then rewinding it!

I'm just about to upgrade, so I'm looking for recommendations, but I don't want to spend £400 on something that "crashes less", I'll just stick with Sagem for a while longer. Surely one manufacturer has created the ultimate PVR by now.......

teamgrinner

thanks for the tip.... i will try and merge with another recording and try to delete it (when i have a recording i want to delete)

still too many little niggles with the sagem.... but as you say.... can hardly imagine life without a pvr.....

it looks like the topfield tf5800 comes closest to the ultimate pvr (using TAPS etc)..... but even that seems a bit flawed

thanks again for the tip

yukioMishima

Very interesting, the clock does change automatically - and mine is showing Guide times being one hour out too.

There was an issue last year where any timers already set altered by one hour after the clocks went back, there was supposedly a firmware fix for this shortly after - I'm not sure if this is a further bug, or the 'fix'...:thumbsdow

I got up this morning and it was showing the wrong time until I turned it on. I did program one of the programs that was showing the incorrect time in the EPG and low and behold it was automatically adjusted to the right time.

It does seem that you have to turn it on to get the right time. My DVD/HDD recorder had changed the time all by itself whilst in standby.

Was flicking through the channels last night and I noticed that QVC are doing a Sagem 160GB twin-tuner on special value. It's around £150, and with postage and packing on top. Not sure if it's cheap or any good, but I thought I'd mention it here :)

QVC Today's Special Value

Any views on this item? It's strange that QVC are selling this, and also selling the Humax TV with built-in PVR.

Was flicking through the channels last night and I noticed that QVC are doing a Sagem 160GB twin-tuner on special value. It's around £150, and with postage and packing on top. Not sure if it's cheap or any good, but I thought I'd mention it here :)

QVC Today's Special Value

This Sagem is a new machine, and as such a bit of an unknown quantity. All previous Sagems have been twin tuner models, but this is the first Sagem with the capability to twin-record.

User interface appears to be very similar to the previous machines. Hopefully this machine will be less bug-ridden than its predecessors...:rolleyes:

Don't buy any Sagem products.....They have given OTA updates to their current line up and this has rendered the EPG completely useless. No channels have a complete programme list in fact the listings are quiet random. This in turn renders the machine all but useless. All contact with Sagem has resulted in zilch..They will not even acknowledge the problem....
Again.. BEWARE OF SAGEM PRODUCTS....USELESS....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Luckily I didn't go for it in the end. Will save my pennies for a humax instead :)

agreed

i had a sagem... even upgraded the 40mb hard drive to a 250mb one (which prolonged its life a little)

recently got myself a toppy..... WOW.... no going back to the sagem.... seriously flawed piece of kit

yukioMishima

Sorry for bumping but I have a fix for one version of the Recording List crash.

If the program you record isn't the top of a "Full List", then record another program for a few seconds to make the corrupt program #2 in the list.

Then open your list, then press ">" to jump to page 2, then move the highlight onto the 2nd spot from the top, then press "<". It should now select the corrupt program without crashing, and show some garbled text. You can just delete it now.

This has only just happened to me after 2 or so years of owning one of these Sagems. If the corrupt program is the top of a Full List then I think you're fooked :)

Hi there, agai sorry for dragging this back up. I bought one of these PVRs for her indoors back end of 2007 and in general it's been fine, however recently it's started not recording anything off Channel5, 5 USA etc, all other channels are fine.

Does anyone know if re-setting the box the factory defaults removes nay recorded programs??

It says all channels and user info will be lost but doesn't mention the recordings?

Also anyone else had this issue and found a fix??

Anybody got a Sagem PVR? I'm thinking of buying one - the PVR62160T.

Having tried a few different PVR Manufactures I think the Sagem has some difficulties
I think that the Hard drive manufacture that they use is un-reliable
The problem is that the operating system has to be loaded from the drive and therefore once the HD fails the unit is written off.
It is a pity that this is the case. If Sagem had put the operating system into a non-volatile memory such as a ROM chip there would notbe an issue cos the hard drive is easily replaced with a more reliable unit.
The actual software used is extremely well written and very user friendly.
I 've tried Humax which is good but the most expensive.
Also Nikkai and Nichimen are cheap and cheerfull but difficult to use.
The Nikkai is really difficult (P.Hd needed)
:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom