Sagem PVR's

sparky_paul

Novice Member
t11rmh said:
Anybody got a Sagem PVR? I'm thinking of buying one - the PVR62160T.
Don't do it.

i know you can buy them cheaply now, but they are unreliable - and despite numerous attempts by the manufacturer to update these boxes (I'm currently on the fifth different version of the firmware, with another promised soon) they still have serious defects.

Probably the worst problem IMO is the box freezing or rebooting when trying to change viewing channel whilst recording on the second tuner, usually occurs when the box has been recording for about 1hr50. There are many other issues, but do I need to go on...?

I have bought a Fusion to replace the Sagem - the Fusion isn't perfect, but it's streets ahead of the Sagem in terms of functionality and reliability.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Fusion software is very good although the UI isn't the best design. But it does work. The hardware in some models is a bit suspect though; I think they generally work and last well if they are kept well ventilated, but may well fail in fairly short order if kept in an enclosed cabinet. Note: even when in "standby" these boxes are more or less fully "on".

volvofl10

Standard Member
i swopped my sagem ( 80gb hdd) within 2 weeks for a humax.
the sagem was very unrelaible due to lock ups , i would suggest you dont touch sagem , i will add that the humax has had its problems as well though

sparky_paul

Novice Member
A new version (0.4.4MH) of the firmware is provisionally due for broadcast next week which alledgedly cures the most serious problems. Hopefully, this will improve the machine without introducing any new defects, as has happened with previous OADs.:rolleyes:

It's a shame really, as the hardware is all there - with the right firmware the Sagem could be an excellent budget box.

t11rmh

Novice Member
O.K. Well, I bought one last week and the software was updated on Saturday.

The only issue I have with it is that it reports that some of the channel signals are weak when all of my other digital recievers feeding off the same ariel (3) don't report the same. It does not effect picture quality though.

I'll be abroad next week and will leave it to record loads of things so I'll see how it does when I get back.

PQ is great. I haven't run out of timer program settings yet (what is the maximum)

It laso reports that there is about 32hrs left on the disk when I have only recorded one hour of stuff? But that just seems to be an estimate. I have the 80gb version.

So all in all I am happy with it.

sparky_paul

Novice Member
t11rmh said:
O.K. Well, I bought one last week and the software was updated on Saturday.
You will now be on version 0.4.3MH of the firmware. There is another update coming for this machine, version 0.4.4MH, provisionally set for this weekend if everything is OK. It's supposed to fix the serious slowdown/freezing/reboot bug on long attended recordings. :smashin:

t11rmh said:
PQ is great. I haven't run out of timer program settings yet (what is the maximum)
20 recording timers maximum.

Incidentally, you can only have a maximum of 100 recordings on the HDD. It starts nagging you to remove some recordings at 83, so extra large HDD upgrades are pretty pointless. :thumbsdow

t11rmh said:
It laso reports that there is about 32hrs left on the disk when I have only recorded one hour of stuff? But that just seems to be an estimate. I have the 80gb version.
Yep, just an estimate - it depends on which channel you are recording. For example, recordings from BBC1 can take twice as much room up as recordings from channel five.

t11rmh

Novice Member
Thanks for that, Sparky. I have found the option for subtitles. It is good that it records subtitles too as I don't think my DVD/HDD recorder does.

The instructions are pretty rubbish. i.e. they don't tell you that you can do do chasing playback or that you can watch another recorded prorgram whilst one is recorded. It is obvious that it should do this but then again, it should be obvious as to how to switch on subtitles.....

Also, what you say about channel 5. I do find the PQ on channel 5 the worse of all the main channels. Do they broadcast with lower definition and detail then that requires less bandwith?

M

MancMale

Well i have a Sagem 7280T PVR i bought it reduced price from Ebuyer.co.uk earlier in the year with 3 months warranty. At first the software it came with was crap and plenty of bugs. Since then the over air downloads have slowly improved things. Im on the most recent update and it mostly work . Had a couple of resets of the machine , but find its best to give it plenty of ventalation and make sure all scarts are firmly plugged in ..( also some suggest try stacking it differently if your the sort who has a dvd , video , Pvr Stack )..

And at least sagem have been doing regular updates , unlike some makes ..

sparky_paul

Novice Member
I don't think the Sagem suffers from overheating like some other machines on the market, in fact the hardware is probably the best aspect of the PVR. It is the poorly executed firmware which accounts for the majority of the defects.

Also, whilst the functionality of the machines have improved with successive OADs, new bugs have been introduced which to me is inexcusable. Sagem's beta testing procedures have obviously been inadequate.

MancMale said:
And at least sagem have been doing regular updates , unlike some makes ..
They're certainly persevering with the OADs, I'll give them that - they just don't seem very good at it. I just hope they don't run out of enthusiasm (or money for the OADs) before it's fixed properly. :rolleyes:

As a member from the very beginning, I suspect that the very active forum dedicated to the Sagem PVRs and their problems may have helped persuade Sagem to better support the PVRs in the UK. We know from our French and German forum counterparts that OADs in those countries are almost non-existant, and that their machines suffer the same defects.

t11rmh said:
Also, what you say about channel 5. I do find the PQ on channel 5 the worse of all the main channels. Do they broadcast with lower definition and detail then that requires less bandwith?
Channel five transmit at the best resolution of 720x576, but the bitrate is very variable - and often much lower than the main BBC channels.

M

MancMale

There are numerous Forums on several sites for many makes of PVR and all makes have there problems , some worse than others ..

sparky_paul

Novice Member
The problem with the Sagems is that we are not talking about small operational niggles. Some of the defects which the box has had have prevented you from making full use of it.

I will be happy if the recording freezing/rebooting issue has been fixed with this weekend's OAD - no more recordings chopped to 1 hour 50 mins or thereabouts. However, there are still issues which are still unfixed after 6 versions of the software and 18 months - teletext on itv still routinely crashes the PVR, for instance.

M

MancMale

sparky_paul said:
The problem with the Sagems is that we are not talking about small operational niggles. Some of the defects which the box has had have prevented you from making full use of it.

I will be happy if the recording freezing/rebooting issue has been fixed with this weekend's OAD - My 7208T Sagem very rarely freezes ( always make sure there is good air flow ) , ive had the odd reboot but seems to be a strange quirk. Lots of ideas from people as to why this happens but not any repeatable.

no more recordings chopped to 1 hour 50 mins or thereabouts. I regularly record several shows one after another and the box records them in one long block the total of which is way past 1 hour 50 mins . Ive recorded three straight films together off Film4 .. no problems ...

However, there are still issues which are still unfixed after 6 versions of the software and 18 months - teletext on itv still routinely crashes the PVR, for instance.
I have not noticed any ITV teletext problems ..

I bought my Sagem 7280T for the TopUpTV access slot and in the forums its says this model is easy to upgrade the Hard drive....I dont have to wait for OAD to change Hard drive ..:cool:

sparky_paul

Novice Member
MancMale said:
I have not noticed any ITV teletext problems ..
There are problems on itv teletext, 100 and Sky text.

Try the 'Bamboozle' quiz or 'Game Central'...:thumbsdow

Also, try teletext on any channel whilst recording...:thumbsdow

MancMale said:
I bought my Sagem 7280T for the TopUpTV access slot and in the forums its says this model is easy to upgrade the Hard drive....I dont have to wait for OAD to change Hard drive ..:cool:
That was a good improvement on the 7200 series - my 6200s, unlike most other PVRs, need an OAD to upgrade the drive, which is ridiculous. Mind you, it's not really worth putting a massive drive in as you are limited to 100 programs on the HDD, and it starts nagging you to delete some at 83.

For Top Up TV, your choice of PVR is severely restricted.

However, this will be largely irrelevant when the TUTV service closes in its present form, as is expected soon, following the buy out by channel five/RTL. Two of TUTV streams have already been confirmed as transferring to channel five's new channels on 16th October, so channels will be disappearing soon.

It is likely that your Sagem will not be compatible with the new 'TUTV Anytime' service, you will need the new 'Top Up TV Anytime Digital TV Recorder'.

I do like the Sagem, or else I wouldn't have stuck with it so long - the the firmware had been as good as the hardware, it could have been a truly excellent budget box.

chriszzzzzz

Well I havn't had any dowload yet ..Still on 4.2...Having said that there is nothing really wrong with the set. A bit slow but otherwise ok..
Just noticed though the download was for the 600's not the 7's....That probably explains why I havn't had anything....:rolleyes: :blush:

chriszzzzzz

Yep got the download site thats where I realised the recent one was for 6000's. Thanks for the Info on the 7's...:)

yukioMishima

Novice Member
howdy

i have the 6240T

not overly happy with it... crashes a fair bit (as indicated above)... though the PQ seems pretty good

i do have one gripe with it (well... more than one... but let's start with this one).... when scrolling thru the epg on the built-in tuner on my toshie the currently active station remains active whilst i scroll... this does not seem to happen with the sagem..... is there a setting somewhere that i am missing?

thanks in advance for any help :D

chriszzzzzz

yukioMishima said:
howdy

i have the 6240T

not overly happy with it... crashes a fair bit (as indicated above)... though the PQ seems pretty good

i do have one gripe with it (well... more than one... but let's start with this one).... when scrolling thru the epg on the built-in tuner on my toshie the currently active station remains active whilst i scroll... this does not seem to happen with the sagem..... is there a setting somewhere that i am missing?

thanks in advance for any help :D
Nope you not missing anything. Seems to be a Sagem thing. Quite annoying really. Same thing happens as you look through the recorded list...Otherwise it's not performing to badly.

sparky_paul

Novice Member
yukioMishima said:
when scrolling thru the epg on the built-in tuner on my toshie the currently active station remains active whilst i scroll... this does not seem to happen with the sagem..... is there a setting somewhere that i am missing?
That annoys most of us over on the Sagem PVR forum too - we have been asking Sagem to fix this since day one.

The EPG is a pretty poor affair really.:(

t11rmh

Novice Member
O.K. Just got back from a weeks holiday and switched on my Sagem 6280 PVR. It said that there was an update to do so I said o.k. to that. Since then all I have had is 00 followed by a flashing -- in the display window,. None of the buttons on the remote work and unplugging the machine at the mains and plugging it back in again makes no difference.

I understand that there is an update to 4.4 this weekend and it is trying to apply it.

Is there a way of getting around this update? The machine is totally unuseable in this state and it has been like it for the last two hours.Do I have to wait until the scheduled update is over which is Monday 9am?

It eventually came up with an er09 and now I can use it and all of my recordings are there! Hoorah

And then I got the update to work fine on Sunday evening so everything is right in the world again. It had recorded everyhting I asked of it (4 x Corrie, 5 x Home and Away Couple of movies, MOTD, The Championship, etc) with no problem.

M

mahalebi

Hello forum
I bought a Sagem 62160 for less than £150 two days ago. It's early days but so far I am very pleased with it (considering that I nearly went for a new all-in-one DVD/HDD/Video Freeview system for £600 - which does not have twin tuners). The functionality of the Sagem is more than adequate for me and the user interface, though a little quirky and inelegant, is simple to master. I nearly went for the Humax but :
a) it was £50 more
b) it is far too clunky a unit in my opinion - the Sagem is a good compact size
c) not bothered about not being able to record two channels simultaneously - how much telly can you keep up with?

The Sagem has crashed once during a recording session, and I have no idea why. It's dissappointing to read that the firmware is so buggy, spoiling an otherwise excellent product, but I hope updates will improve the system.

Couple of questions if anyone can help please ?
1. How do you get subtitles ?

2. Do I have to do anything other than just leave the unit turned on overnight to get automatic software downloads ? (I think I'm on 0.3.9).

In conclusion, if the level of bugs does not get worse, I will be delighted with it - I tend to buy the best known electronic brands, but so far this is pretty decent for the money.

t11rmh

Novice Member
mahalebi said:
Hello forum
I bought a Sagem 62160 for less than £150 two days ago. It's early days but so far I am very pleased with it (considering that I nearly went for a new all-in-one DVD/HDD/Video Freeview system for £600 - which does not have twin tuners). The functionality of the Sagem is more than adequate for me and the user interface, though a little quirky and inelegant, is simple to master. I nearly went for the Humax but :
a) it was £50 more
b) it is far too clunky a unit in my opinion - the Sagem is a good compact size
c) not bothered about not being able to record two channels simultaneously - how much telly can you keep up with?

The Sagem has crashed once during a recording session, and I have no idea why. It's dissappointing to read that the firmware is so buggy, spoiling an otherwise excellent product, but I hope updates will improve the system.

Couple of questions if anyone can help please ?
1. How do you get subtitles ?

2. Do I have to do anything other than just leave the unit turned on overnight to get automatic software downloads ? (I think I'm on 0.3.9).

In conclusion, if the level of bugs does not get worse, I will be delighted with it - I tend to buy the best known electronic brands, but so far this is pretty decent for the money.

To get automatic downloads leave the box plugged in but not switched on over the weekend when an update is scheduled and when you next switch it on it will state that there is a download to get and then you press O.K. to recieve it.

With subtitles press the information button (the one that gives you program info) and then look for options. The ability to turn on subtitles is buried in there. Hardly the best place for it. It works with recordings too which I haven't seen anywhere else.

I too like the small size of the device. As I have quite a few items plugged into my TV the samller the better. The Humax looks quite terrible in comparison.

M

mahalebi

Thank you for that. Is it worth upgrading from 0.3.9 to 0.4.4 ? I've read that this might not necessarily bring great improvements and may even introduce new problems ?

Also forgot to mention to potential buyers that the Sagem picture is excellent, particularly once I had adjusted the RGB output to 'low' through the menus. It also works well with a weak signal strength (my Humax did not work so well with my loft aerial).

Overall still going well. If any future firmware upgrades magically allow the box to record two channels simultaneously, then this box will take a lot of beating.

t11rmh

Novice Member
mahalebi said:
Thank you for that. Is it worth upgrading from 0.3.9 to 0.4.4 ? I've read that this might not necessarily bring great improvements and may even introduce new problems ?

Also forgot to mention to potential buyers that the Sagem picture is excellent, particularly once I had adjusted the RGB output to 'low' through the menus. It also works well with a weak signal strength (my Humax did not work so well with my loft aerial).

Overall still going well. If any future firmware upgrades magically allow the box to record two channels simultaneously, then this box will take a lot of beating.
The one I bought came with a very early version, 2.2 or something so I couldn't compare. I would update to it as I have had no problems with it yet.

sparky_paul

Novice Member
It eventually came up with an er09 and now I can use it and all of my recordings are there! Hoorah

And then I got the update to work fine on Sunday evening so everything is right in the world again. It had recorded everyhting I asked of it (4 x Corrie, 5 x Home and Away Couple of movies, MOTD, The Championship, etc) with no problem.
Glad you got it sorted out.:smashin:

I went on holiday as you came back, so I've only just got your PM - I replied before I read this thread, so ignore most of it...;)

There's another OAD provisionally scheduled for the 6200/6600 for this weekend, version 0.4.5MH. I'm not sure what it fixes, but 0.4.4MH didn't seem to do much any good...:(

mxs

Novice Member
My Advice?

Get a Topfield if you can afford it, a Humax is the next best option. I took my Sagem back to the shop and swapped it for a Humax - the build quality is far superior and its a lot quieter! And a lot more reliable.

lat002

Standard Member
I bought a Sagem PVR 72160 from Comet and generally I really like the design. However I have noted a number of crashes mentioned in this forum - such as selecting teletext.

The most concerning crash was triggered by trying to access one particular recording on the hard disk. I was thinking that there may have been a fault on the hard disk itself so took it back to Comet who I'm pleased to say changed the unit without any trouble atall.

It's only when I've been researching this problem that I've discovered through this forum (and others) that Sagem's appear to crash rather too often. As the design of the equipment is good I really hope that these problems are just software related and that Sagem eventually get this sorted.

I've enjoyed reading the posts and like the forum

yukioMishima

Novice Member
in addition to all of the other issues/ woes mentioned here and elsewhere... i am now having a MAJOR problem

everytime i hit the RECORDING LIST button my sagem 6240 seems to shut itself down .... reinitialise and then go back to some default channel

this has been happening for the past 2 or 3 days

i don't believe that there has been any change to the software version in that time

what i have tried thus far:
- switching the box off at the mains
- doing a factory reset of the box

all to no avail :mad:

if anyone has any suggestions on how i can access my precious recordings i would greatly appreciate it :lease:

the more i own/ use the sagem the more i want to purchase a humax/ toppy :suicide: ... this thing is driving me bananas

oh... and one other thing.... i noticed that they had an upgrade of the firmware scheduled for today and yesterday..... currently mine seems be 0.44... with the upgrade listed as 0.45.... but the box has not kicked in to grab the update... is there a manual way of forcing it to do so?

thanks in addvance for any help provided :thumbsup:

yukiomishima