1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem PVR6240t

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Darko, May 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I got one of these the other day from argos because my freeview box went pop and I fancied a PVR ...well I was blown away what a top piece of kit it has twin tuners and can record upto 20 hours and it cost just 129 quid it even has a tv guid not unlike sky+ so if any one is in the market for a new free view you cant go far wrong with one of these

any questions on this kit are welcome

Darko

2. bspks

bspks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering 1 of these myself.
    If you could answer the following it would help my consideration.

1. Is it really as small as the standard Sagem boxes as the picture shows?
    2. Is the tuner sensitive & robust enough, I currently use a Setpal unit which
    I bought to replace an old OnDigital box which tended to suffer break-up
    and freezing on the 64 QAm (ITV/Ch4) muxes at certain times of the
    evening.
    3. What is the picture quality like, I remember someone once posting that the
    earlier Sagem boxes were prone to picture artifacts.
    4. Can you loop an RGB DVD picture through the scart connectors?

Thanks for any help you may give :smashin:

3. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    loads of forums discussing this box, general opinions are good but there are problems with the EPG and the fact that the description is decieving as it is a twin tuner box but you cant record one program and watch something like you can with other boxes, id probably go with the digifusion which is also available at argos for about 50 quid more but you get double the hard drive sapce (80 gb)

4. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought the sagem pvr 6240t from argos yesterday but it was faulty, after two hours it would not pause,rewind etc. live tv and when trying to record a channel it said error. switching the box into stand by and back on again it was ok,..... for another two hours and then it did the same again numerous times. so i took it back this afternoon and got a replacement. the replacement also had a fault, it kept reseting itself, in the space of four hours it reset itself six times. needless to say that it is going back and i am getting a refund!!! I cannot recommend this box! :thumbsdow

5. Goolie

Goolie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently pick of the day I believe on QVC for just under £100, you've got just under an hour left if you want it.

If it don't work just send it back for a refund.

6. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    does this pvr still have a ridiculous buffer which prevents recording back 2 back:eek: ? or has that been fixed:confused:

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  8. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've just ordered a Fusion FVRT200 from ebuyer to finally replace a Sagem PVR6240T.

I have endured the Sagem for over a year, and had three OADs to supposedly correct the defects in the firmware, yet another one is due soon. Whilst they have managed to fix some problems, and improve the functionality of the box, they have also succeeded in introducing new bugs... I can honestly say it is less reliable than when I purchased it from Argos.

Not recommended, I hope the Fusion is better...:rolleyes:

By they way - the Sagem might look like the small Sagem IDT freeview boxes, but it's about 50% bigger all round. The grey plastic case isn't exactly pretty either. In it's favour, the tuner is very sensitive and it will loop RGB through from the AUX SCART, though I reckon most PVRs will do this. I do think that artifacts are more evident than some boxes I've seen...

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Fusion's software is reliable. It isn't bug-free, but it hardly if ever fails to record or play back.

DO NOT use LP or EP modes at all, ever, and try to keep it as cool as you possibly can, and then some.

10. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've read about the problem with LP and EP modes, it's a shame as I thought this could be a useful feature. I also read somewhere (DS probably) that the latest update improved the LP/EP behaviour - I wonder if these issues will be ever be completely resolved?

I would have kept the Sagem if I had any confidence in future updates. They do make an effort to correct ongoing problems, they're just not very good at it...:rolleyes:

11. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The buffer issue has been more or less fixed, the buffer is now adjustable - if it's set to zero buffer then back-to-back recordings can be set from the EPG (which isn't very good). If you set an automatic buffer, back-to-back can't be done.

Back-to-back recordings on the same channel are merged into one recording, which has to be split later.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I say don't use it because
    a) it's claimed that the recent update "improves" the issue, rather than totally curing it, so I consider there is still a risk
    b) it's a curious truth: if you feel the need to use it, it's probably because you're storing a lot (too much) of stuff on the HDD - the very circumstances in which you'd be upset if it were to get corrupted and wiped.

Don't use this (or any, I'd say) PVR as a permanent store for anything; only for timeshifting. Anything you want to keep should be copied off onto another medium - a DVD, say.

13. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a very good point...:smashin:

I do tend to use the PVR for timeshifting, but occasionally the OH leaves stuff on there for a while.

I also have Sky connected to a Philips HDD/DVD recorder, I use this for anything I want to keep - the pq from sat is generally better - but I do tend to keep more on this than I would be comfortable about losing... I usually have a purge every now and then and clear a load off. ;)

14. harvest1

harvest1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have recently bought one of these. Has anyone else noticed a high-pitched squeaking noise that sometime occurs whe the HDD drive spins.
    It's not all the time, but it really irritating whe it does happen. Like those test signals that go up to the limit of the human ear.

If no-one else can hear it on theirs, mines going back!