1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Jerking Statement

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hodman, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sagem states that in order to optimise PAL performance on its Axium sets it had to compromise their NTSC capability.

If you believe their statement, other sets that manage to handle both standards without any jerkingness aren't optimised for either standards and are therefore of lesser quality.
    :laugh:

My guess is that Sagem/Optoma simply cocked up in this particular aspect of these sets design.
    :blush:

Ok, it does happen, just fix the design, submit it to manufacturing and arrange for all existing sets to be rectified.

Yes, it's going to cost Sagem but its the only option open to any reputable manufacturer.

2. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem said this? I have yet to hear of anyone saying the Axium has this problem, or am I missing something.
    I will go and borrow a region 1 disc and try it in mine....
    Film at 11

3. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It was either Sagem or Optoma.
    Optoma sell a version of the Sagem Axium set.

If it was Optoma and the Sagem Axium does not suffer from it, I may well purchase the Axium.

4. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched a region 1 dvd last night on my Sagem Axium. Using a 5 year old Sony dvd player through rgb on scart 2.
    The picture was perfect, and no signs whatsoever of any jerkiness in the movement or panning.
    I have seen the effect mentioned by some here, of oil painting effects on skin tones but not on my set. I noticed it on an Axium being demonstrated in John Lewis, but I can honestly say I have no problem at all with this on mine.
    My software version is 062, I don't know if that has addressed any of these issues, but I could not be more pleased with the Axium I bought.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    If your sagem does not have a juddering issue as my Optoma RD65 has, then Sagem have done what Optoma couldn't.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    IMO there's no excuse, whatever, in 2004, for even thinking about distributing a TV set (or projector for that matter) that isn't as capable of 525/60 as it is 625/50.

7. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Axium don't Jerk. Region 1 & 3 are every bit as good as 2.

8. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can assure you that playing a R1 dvd through a scart connection on a Sony CX850P there were no judders, jitters, jerkiness or anything else beginning with J

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    This was NOT a statement from Sagem. There have been no problems reported with Sagem's set. The NTSC jerkiness is specific to the new 'RD' series sets from Optoma/ThemeScene. This is important, as it is the electronics modifications in the RD sets that has caused the problems.

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You're missing the point here, Razor. The RD65 has a new DLP chip with a new colour wheel design. It is making the new hardware function correctly with the video processing electronics that has led to the problems with the RD models. It remains to be seen whether the electronics engineers at Sagem can do a better job with their up-and-coming HD-D45 set. Let's hope so.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Thank you everyone for your reply, I am pleased to hear that none of you are being put through the same missery as I have.

Your right LV426 it is amazing that Optoma cant produce a product that can display both 50/60Hz with out screwing up.

Do they not field test their products before releasing them.

If you look at my posts you can see I'm non to happy with Optoma, or the lame excuses they give for their equipment not functioning correctly.

AV Junky i hope you are right about the Sagems engineers being able to do a better job, as there may be hope for me and others like me.

12. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Possibly the British RD50 was customized in the UK from the American RD50/RD50A by a very small team of one or maybe two people, and that they simply forgot about (or it did not occure to them to check) about NTSC. this is the problem you can have with a small devisions of a company that do not have huge resources with large teams that may not maintain detailed design specifications or managerial product review procedures.

Still, at least the set is sky+ HD complient, unlike other plasmas that I nearly bought instead :)