1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem - HDCP Saga continues...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chaplic, Feb 8, 2005.

1. chaplic

chaplic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just been on the phone, two weeks after I was asked to call in two weeks time

Me: "Hello, I'm calling to organise the HDCP upgrade"

Sagem: No problem sir, let me take a few details, I need to know the software version...

Me (surprised): "Is this a software or hardware upgrade.."

Sagem: "This is software, but the upgrade to allow sky hi-definition is hardware update, we don't have any details on that yet"

Me: "Oh. So what's this then?"
    Sagem: Updates to make it HDTV Ready and some tweaks [I have 51]

So therefore when we talk about HDCP upgrade they (sagem tech support) are hearing HDTV software upgrade. I guess when talking to sagem tech support we need to talk about the 'thing to make sky hi def work'.

Doesn't sound positive but I bought the telly feeling comfortable it was future proof after two assurance from Sagem Support they would upgrade to HDCP and I intend to get it.

2. know it all

know it all

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys the upgrade that you are all talking about is NOT going to make your televisions recieve HDCP via any port. This model of the axium will NEVER recieve a picture from a dhcp source it was never designed that way and will not be able to be fixed via any upgrade to software or hard ware.

I suggest you read this link

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi...ews.php?id=7340

It seems that the public are buying these machines without the proper knowlwedge of the HDTV (incorporating HDCP).

Hope this helps

3. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Whilst I am not surprised that the Sagem help desk has continually confused the software upgrade with the HDCP problem , I do not held quite the absolutist view of the above writer.This for 2 reasons.

Firstly I do know that Sagem UK are keen to solve this problem and secondly the problem was solved on the USA Optoma model by means of a customer charged hardware board change costing approximately £250.

Having said that I agree the odds are strongly against but sometimes outsiders come in!

Alan

4. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ know it all :

know it all , of course they can do an upgrade, although it has to be hardware upgrade. mainboard exchange.

It is totally wrong that it isnt possible.

Optoma is doning this exchange in USA via new boards for the earlier RD50 TVs.

And that is nearly the same type as the Sagem 50". I think they are thinking about that.

Optoma takes money for upgrading.
    I`m not sure but I think many users would not worry about it if they had to pay ~300€ for an upgrade.

5. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the other question is :

they are promoting this set as HDTV capable.

But finally you can not connect any HDTV source to the set:

Sky -> going with HDCP
    HDTV-Players and BlueRay Players will have to have HDCP integrated or they dont get a license.
    Ok you could take the analog component output from a HD-DVD Player but i ve read some where that they will only output 480i which is pretty ****ty :cool:

If Blue RAY and HD DVD Players get an full component output for HDTV I would buy a Sagem 50".

If comonent output and input are good quality you`ll get the same quality as with an DVI. At least you won`t see big differnce.

So the product specification of the 50" says HDTV ready, which is wrong. So all customers of a 50" set could make pressure to Sagem to upgrade or take the set back ( and give back the money ) because they gave wrong information about their product.

The 50"-set is not HDTV ready ...................

so the story of course still continues........

6. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149

LONG LONG before I plunged into buying the Axium, SAGEM's brochures, literature and website, exploited the TV as being DESIGNED for HD. We have talked about this for a long time on these threads, and SAGEM are fully aware that it is not THEIR fault that SKY have moved the goal posts on their HD specification.

After having several conversations with SAGEM, and after several engineer visits, they are very aware of the situation their customers face with the HD and HDCP problem, and they are also doing what they can to rectify the situation.

For what its worth, I couldn't give two Sh**s about HDTV, I never watch TV, I am wanting to watch DVDs via DVI, but I can do that via my Samsung 935, but would love to watch them via my 3910.

SAGEM, have already offered to replace the set with the HD-D45, but I said NO....I dont want to loose the 5 inches. Besides that, I am happy with the set the way it is. Pictures are now fine via PS and RGB, via the Samsung pictures are very good and also via PC.

If SAGEM cant deliver a hardware upgrade its no spilt milk, I can live with the pictures I am getting. If they CAN deliver then WAHEY!!! THANK YOU!!

7. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am happy with my Sagem50 the way it is. Mind you, I bought this very recently, having known all these HDCP stuffs, and of course, I knew it wasn't HDCP-compliant... But I still bought it because of its Picture Quality, feeding it with video signals in various forms, apart from HDCP of course. It beat the rest of the competition.

I reckon that the problem lies only to those Sagem50 owners who want to watch HDCP Hi-Def now or very soon. I too would like to experience Hi-Def but I can wait a few years before I do that. For now, I'm happy watching standard broadcasts and DVD.

If you have a Sagem50 and can wait for a few years, I'm sure you'll be alright. By then, there'll be devices available (hack or no hack) that could disable HDCP - to enable us all to enjoy Hi-Def on our beloved Sagem50.

Pound for pound, with the exception of HDCP, Sagem50 is still the best DLP Rear-Pro TV in the UK market today !

8. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice link mrmoo thanks
    Digitize the problem is u don't seem to know your HDCP stuff's a few of us tried to explain it to you on another thread. You could be lucky as the odds of the Sgem 50 getting a HDCP
    fix has shortened as the OptomaRD50 in america same as yours with the HD2 & no HDCP
    now has an upgrade to enable HDCP customers have to pay for it though over there.

10. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great link mrmoo. However, the whole debate about content protection is far from over. As part of the "Broadcast Flag" discussion (touched on in your link -part of the downsampling issue I believe) some consumer advocacy groups took the FCC to court as they believe (IMO rightly so) that the FCC cannot dictate device design. In this case, the appeals court ruled in favour of the consumer for once , but the discussion about "content protection" is far from over.

My favorite quote: [Judge] Edwards said the FCC "crossed the line" beyond its authority approved by Congress. "You've gone too far," he said. "Are washing machines next? :rotfl:

11. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does HDCP protection stop you recording TV or is it just to stop people hacking into Sky, cable, etc

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    St_ve that sounds good mate regarding the fix for the Optoma which I understand has same internals as the Sagem so it would simply be a matter of Sagem buying the upgrade from Optoma or us buying it direct any idea of the cost ?

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i really know is the sets look the same apart from the colour they are both HD2 & lack HDCP its possible that there are internal differences that could complicate the HDCP upgrade for the Sagem but i doubt this.
    I would have thought Sagem would give you the upgrade for free or at the very least subsidise it .
    The cost to upgrade the American RD50 ; i'm sure i saw $300 somewhere.

on this link they mention $400
    http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/index.php/t-3388.html

14. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I don't have this problem with the Samsung 50" I just ordered. Can anyone assure me pleasssseeeeee!!!!

15. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the info St_ve, well £200 for an upgrade sounds ok really but free is even better :)
    I suppose if Sagem want to get a market share in the UK they will have to offer a reasonable solution to this problem.

Yes samsung is fine mate.