1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD50 G4

Discussion in 'TVs' started by trogette, Oct 11, 2005.

1. trogette

trogette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Called at Comet tonight. Unfortunately they were getting ready to close so no time to have a good look. The Sagem 50 was new in that day and was next to the Sagem 45.

First thing my wife said 'the 45 would be lost in the space we have ready'. Wahey. :thumbsup:

They didn't have the Sagem 56 but at 8ft from the screen I think this would be too big.

Has anyone actually got the HD50 G4 as impressions would be appreciated.

Plan to take in a hdmi DVD player and stools to give the picture a good check before taking the plunge.

Does anyone other than Comet sell this particular model? Others seem to sell the 45 & 56 but not the 50.

2. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Troggers

I'd be interested too in any reports about the new 50" Sagem. Currently got a HD-D45 and really love it, that's all apart from the frosty screen issue, hence the reason I'm looking to upgrade.

So my questions would be:
    Does the new 50" have any degree of the frosty screen (anti reflective coating)?
    What's the PQ like compared to the HD-D45?

Sid

3. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi Guys

I'm also strongly drawn the the HD45H G4.

I've seen the HDD50H in Comet and it looks fine and appears not to have the frosty screen. If you look on the John Lewis site they already have 45H sets in stock (from watching the stock count on the site they have sold at least 9 sets). I intend to visit Blue Water (Kent) where they should have a 45H on display soon as I feel I should see the actual set I intend to buy.

I already have the wife on side :clap:

Like yourselves I would love to hear from anybody who has already purchased either the HDD50H or the HDD45H G4. :lease:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/+Televisions+/DLP/230218407/Product.aspx

4. bobon

bobon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had one delivered this morning,my hd45 had an intermittent fault on the audio so comet exchanged it for the new 50 inch on account that they had no more 45s. First thing i noticed is a loud buzzing coming from the stand, i think it may be the fan so I am going to get them back to it.Pictures on the built in digital tuner are better than the freeview box that came with the 45 and the analogue tuner is crap as expected,ntl movie channels are very good and my dvd player with progresive scan gives a great picture through the component input.I dont see any sign of the frosty screen that was very prominent to my eyes on the 45. I am very happy with it apart from the noisy buzzing, i dont think comet are going to be to happy when i phone up complaining again, i just wish i had been there when it was delivered.

5. trogette

trogette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seeing one this weekend, so if you can wait that long... then yeh... wait.

I'll do a mini-Review possibly.

7. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    New to these sets and still looking around. But does the frosty screen effect only effect the old models or the new ones as well??
    As i was looking around at a 45inch model

Thxs

8. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The brand new 45 does not have the frosty screen anymore. It's called the HD D45 G4 and has a freeview digital tuner and 2 HDMI inputs. Quite a nice upgrade if you ask me.

9. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the info mate.
    Now plasma or DLP *sighs* :confused:

10. gtione

gtione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Plasma or DLP ???????

The benefits of DLP speak for themselves. No screen burn, Much better contrast, no pixels to go faulty, lower power consumption and the biggie for me is the fact that the Bulb can be replaced when you feel the need to do so. Imagen Day 1 quality regained simply by changing the bulb. Can't do all that with plasma. Not to mention the the size of the pic you get for the money.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

11. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah very true i've seen a good offer i think here
    http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&ID=230218407&source=6132

But i'm little puzzled about this bit :-
    This television is ‘high definition ready’ which means it will have the ability to display high definition signals with the addition of a separate HD receiver (expected from late 2005)

SO i have to buy a separate box to get hd? or does it mean like how the new HD sky box will be? You have to buy it to gain that like buying sky +
    Does that make sence???

Thxs.

12. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Sagem is capable NOW of playing HD format films from PC, and will do HD-DVD Blueray and SKY when it is launched in 2006 - all without additional hardware from the Sagem end - the newer versions also have a Digital tuner so will be able to pick up HD BBC from the air if/when that too is broadcast - some say as early as 2008.
    The additional equipment referred to is almost certainly the Sky HD box or a HD-DVD/Blueray DVD player etc.

Cheers:hiya:

13. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks mate thought it was that but then i wasn't sure . Knew peple here would no :)

Lot's to think about. Time for another trip to commet to look at the plasma's and the Sagem.

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Wrong.

15. gtione

gtione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that never o old to learn..... Please fill in

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The image on any DLP projector (front or rear) is produced by the DMD (digital mirror device) chip(s). A DMD is an array of microscopic mirrors each driven by a piezo electric crystal to either reflect light from the lamp towards, or away from, the remainder of the light path and hence the screen. Each piezo electric crystal is driven in turn by a transistor on an IC chip (this last part is much as it is with an LCD).

Each micro mirror corresponds to a pixel in the processed signal. If a micro-mirror gets dirty, or if the piezo electric crystal fails, or the transistor on the IC driving it fails - you have a failed pixel. In much the same way as a failure of, .....

- on a plasma, the plasma gas cell, or the transistor driving it
    - on an LCD, the LCD crystal or the transistor driving it.

I don't profess any knowledge of the relative likelihood of this happening in each case.

17. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the 45H G4 in John Lewis now, and I could not get any rainbows no matter how hard I tried. So I'm smitten.....

The only think now is will the price drop before I give in?

18. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm really thinking of waiting till xmas or even just after .Theres bound to be sales on and maybe on these as well? I'm sure even if they don't it will be worth the wait just in case they do and you can save some cash :).

19. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered mine.

Yay.

20. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where'dya order it from?

21. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys gurls

does any1 now when the new 56" model is coming out? the g4 version, i seen the 50" and it does look like the dogs bulocks... so do i wait for the 56"???? and for how long :rolleyes:

22. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ages...

I speak to Sagem almost everyday about a variety of issues and that is something I brought up.

It took 18 months or something like that ( I forgot the exact number) to bring the Current 56 Model in now. The 56 is essentially the same stuff inside as the 46 yet they took THAT long to bring the 56 out.

I am inferring that it'll take a while, I doubt 18 months but definately no time soon.

23. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from John Lewis, £1800.

Not bad really, considering we like their Customer Support and it has a 5 year guarantee.

Oh, and its one of the only places that sell the new 45". Should come within 14 days apparently.

EDIT: They've run out, no stock left! :eek:

24. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw this (the new 50" sagem) at the weekend and almost bought it on the spot but decided i'd better do some more research first. to me the colours seem more natural than a plasma and a comparable sized one (like panny50pv500 or pioneer 50xde) would cost far more than the 2800€ (£2000) sagem. i didn't see any rainbows but i guess i need to try some more discs or tv channels to really find out. a few on here have had bad experience of sagems, particularly with their after-sales service. how typical is this? bearing in mind i'm in france and sagem is a french company, they should be a bit more on the ball in their home market?? any advice will be gratefully received. i have read the threads praising the samsung 46 and 50 but i don't like the styling of the 46 and while the 50 is a fantastic looking tv, it won't go where the tv needs to go (on top of a piece of furniture) so if it's dlp, it really needs to be the sagem unless anyone knows of something better? thanks in advance.

25. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem don't seem to be stingy. They certainly replace the TV if there are any problems.

I think the problem is they are just a bit slow. And their repair engineers are apparently useless - so it's probably best to ask for a replacement.

Anyway, if worst comes to worst Sagem give you a refund if you just can't wait any more or there are constant problems. I'm trusting them at the moment...

26. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks cooleo. the problem is that, in france, (to paraphrase sam goldwyn) a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on which means the salesman can tell you any old pony and there's no comeback unless it's written into the sales contract. i'm on nodding terms with the language but my negotiating skills are severely hampered when they pretend not to catch what i'm asking them.

the guy on saturday told me that, while the extended guarantee doesn't cover the bulb, this tv is the first dlp where the bulb is user-changeable. is this true? also, he says bulbs can be picked up new on ebay for about 200€ (£140)? any news on bulb life? samsung say 45k hours, others say 8-10k. who's right? it's starting to do my head in - all i want is a big telly that's not going to turn to dust and/or become obsolete the moment i take it out of the box.

27. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, the good news is that the Sagem will allow user install of the new bulb,:smashin: it is possible to get them on-line cheaper than from the service company:smashin: and that the life of the Sagem bulb is 'reckoned' to be one of the longest in the market at 10,000 hrs (so say):clap:
    Cheers:hiya:

28. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    huzzah! :smashin: might go and order one today. it's the first telly i've seen that's actually cheaper in france than in the uk (must be because they're a french company). never mind rip-off britain, in france they wear a mask and gun..... :eek:

29. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the price of the HD45H G4 has dropped to £1699 at Comet. I'm now weighing up the value of the 5 year guarantee for John Lewis. I may check if they price match.

30. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis do price match, they're motto is 'never knowingly undersold'. As long as Comet sell the TV instore for that price. ie. not a online exclusive price.

Good find, should be getting the HD45 G4 on friday, so if there are any problems could get a refund, then price match with Comet ;). Sneaky.