Sagem HD45D and Tosh SD 350E

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by leedsunited, Mar 10, 2006.

1. leedsunited

leedsunited
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have connected my new Tosh to my Sagem with HDMI to DVI D and was wondering what settings I should use, the tosh has selection on the front for HDMI of either 576p, 720p and 1080i, the manual states "set output resolution for HDMI output that best matches your TV's capabilities" not sure what it is on my Sagem.

Can anybody point me in the right direction :lease:

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The Sagem only displays 720p, however the DVD discs themselves are at 576p (at least PAl ones are), so you need to get the image upscaled. Whatever you output, the Sagem's scaler will convert it to 720p. However, if you tell the Toshiba to output 720p, it will do the scaling before it reaches the Sagem.

Thus, it boils down to which of the two does the better job. The Sagem does have a very good scaler for a cheap(ish) HDTV, so it might very well be that - experiment and see which you prefer.

3. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Having connected my Toshiba 350e to my Sony Bravia 50" RPTV, I can confirm that the picture quality is slightly better when using the DVD player upscaler. I used to have it connected via Component which does not make use of the Toshiba's upscaling capability, but the picture was still pretty good.

Arfster is spot on. No matter what you watch on the TV the picture needs to be upscaled to support the TV resolution. Whether it be a DVD, VHS or Digital TV. Basically, using the Tosh upscaler takes the responsibilty for upscaling and in my opinion, it does a better job than my Sony TV. The Sagem might be better so the best way to find out is to view both and see which one you prefer.

Enjoy :smashin: