1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD45 or HD45 G4??????

Discussion in 'TVs' started by phunt, Oct 22, 2005.

1. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ive just received my second HD45 because the first one had the crackley sound problem.Now this one has the same crackley sound and a screen flicker problem.I phoned David from AVwow (very helpful guy) and he said he will have a word with the cheif sagem engineer on monday and find out if there is a fix for this problem before i have to return another set.But he also said i was well within my rights to send the set back and pay the extra £150 for the new G4 model if i wished to do so.I know this new set has slimmer speakers,freeview, a mem card reader and 2 HDMI inputs as apposed to 1 DVI but can anyone advise me as to weather the G4 is considered to be a better set and if so is it £150 better,and also is the sound problem still an issue.Cheerz :thumbsup:

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

Sagem's will always be Sagem's I think - with the Flicker problem.

I am waiting on my 50 G4 to get in after they lied to me saying that it'd be here yesterday.

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Phunt.
    I've noticed crackley sound via scart, but not component, or DVI. Is this what you mean?

I haven't noticed any flickering pictures though.

4. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well i am through scart yes but its a good quality scart and i use my components for xbox.Even so,a brand new 1.5 k TV should not have crackley sound whatever connection is used IMO so its going back.My question is kind of erelavent now anyway because i took the plunge and paid the extra £150 and my shiny new G4 should be here on wednesday si ill post my findings.:)

5. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the 45" g4 is now 1599.99 at comet. me thinks the wallet may take a bashing today

6. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Is that just online or in the shop as well???

7. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When i was in comet last week buying my stand for my HD45 the salesman told me that comet stores will now pricematch there online prices.But AVwow are doing the G4 for £1625 with free delivery and personally i would pay the extra £25 just for the aftersales service i have received from AVwow.They have been absolutly fantastic with me and nothing has been too much trouble for them, especially the manager David.

8. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got our HD45 G4 on Friday, installed on Saturday.

Fantastic image quality (unless you stand off axis, really close up - you can see the dithering, I think that's what it's called, where the pixels are constantly changing so that when you stand back it makes a certain shade - it looks like noise, but very fine).

Saw a few rainbows to begin with (why are there so many black and white films on daytime TV??!! ;)), but they are fading away even after watching it for just a few hours. Lord of the Rings through a shoddily patched up component system (cheap player with normal phono cables for component) looked fantastic.

Gonna take the PC down today and get some HD going through that sucker. Will take pictures and report back later.

Oh, and the CF slot was actually pretty good. Plugged in a CF memory card (it has an adaptor for all the other common types, eg. MS and SD) and the pictures look great on it. Might depend on camera though, this was from a Canon 350D so the quality was massive and it had a hard time resizing them to fit. In the end I settled with it cutting the edges off, taking up most of the screen. When close up (<1 meter) though you could see the noise/constant movement.

Impressed overall, didn't seem like much picture lag with video games either - Halo 2 was fine, Burnout 3 was a little strange but it may just be adapting to the screen size.

9. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nice 1. Pics would be great :smashin:

10. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ordered the g4 this afternoon. should be here on weds

11. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where and Who From?

12. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    comet in colchester @ £1599.99. got £50 off plus free delivery. after going through 3 plasmas within 6 months i'm hoping that dlp will be trouble free.

13. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly this will not be the case.

The Sagems are plagued with Dot Crawl/Picture Noise Issues - ask Cooleo No. 1, he has that very set and he is returning it for a full refund.

I have owned the Sagem 56 and 45, they both have suffered from the same Inherent Faults (Brightness Flickering and Picture Noise) and I have detailed this in a 3 Page letter to Sagem which I will be publishing VERY shortly.

Do the right thing, order the Samsung instead.

14. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought you had a sagem 50 on order????

15. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the conversation with Cooleo No. 1. Looks like I don't have picture noise issue on both sets.

16. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50 G4 on order - but it looks like more than likely I will be cancelling this, I have spoken to a friend in Comet and they are cutting me a special price on the 50L6!

17. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snap, I have your VERY TV in my lounge right now, the picture noise is SCARY!

18. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On which source it does that?

19. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RF, Scart, and DVI at times!

20. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woh woh woh.

It's not definate yet, but I'll see what the family think. I'd definately be happier to get a refund now though.

Oh and Snap, shouldn't you be more worried that kmhtkmhtkmht has stolen your TV? :rotfl: ;)

21. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take the family to the nearest Comet/Currys, look at the Samsung L6/L7 and if you don't think that has a better picture (obviously get them to stick a DVD in via HDMI or Scart at the least) - I'll buy you all Fish Suppers.

22. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When i press still button on the SOURCE, I see the noise from Scart RGB (cheap cable, maximum from 1 metre distance) and on component (from max. 50 cm). no noise on terrestrial and DVI at all. PC via DVI is absolute perfect. I watch TV from 2.5 - 3 meters distance.

23. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you acknowledge there is noise on the set, there should be NO noticeable noise realistically, specially via Scart and I am using a 50 quid Ixos Super Scart Duper Cable...

24. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am using cheap cable and 50 Euro receiver. I do not expect this combination to be perfectly noise free. but as i said, it is not noticeable, no matter how hard i try, from distance more that 1 metre in worst case (with SCART RGB). the component is twice better and DVI is absolutely noise free.do you whatch TV closer than a metre distance (3 feet) or you see it from 3 meters?

P.S. looked more closely at built in terrestrial tuner and when pressing still button it's possible to see noise from max. 50 cm. no more. will try on samsungs in the shop next week.

25. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    P.S. DVI has it as well on the very dark places of screen, but max noticeable from 50cm (20 inch).

26. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    my 45 g4 turned up this morning. got it set up but the one thing i have noticed is the noise on both the picture and the set itself. i also cant seem to get the brightness and contrast right. do these sets have to be run in at all?

27. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These sets aren't really run-in at all.

You'll get used to the brightness and contrast - no setup is perfect and I choose a setting I'm happy with. It will change at the time of day you're watching it, so don't worry about getting it perfect. I press the button at the top until I find the setting it looks best on. If I'm watching a DVD then I'll fiddle with the User setting on a still frame.

And yes, there's noise on the Sagems. Sit back at the right distance and you won't be able to see it. It disturbed me at first, but I realised I would never normally see it, so I'm over it. That said if my replacement has the same problems then I will probably look at getting the Samsung 46" instead (although it has no freeview).

28. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cue kmhtkmhtkmht :suicide:

29. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Most people sit two close or they happening to be walking past or standing in front of it and they can see how poor the picture is I wouldn’t call it noise.

I sit 3.5 meters from the screen and can see nothing even when I sit in the arm chair I can’t see anything and that’s only a meter.

When I plug my old NTL pace STB in the picture is worse however the Samsung STB is fine.

Also it possible the noise could be coming from the source Sky STB, NTL STB doesn’t mean it’s caused by the Sagem.

30. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its caused by the Sagem.

Its on every image, HD included, even the Sagem menu's.

Its just the way the Sagem produces colours I think, by blending solid darks with a little white noise it makes a colour inbetween. Well, thats my thinking anyway. Either way, its not viewable from the correct sitting distance.