1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-HD50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dan~, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw this is comet today and catched my eye and after a while i was kinda :oops: because it's so sexy!

The picture on the DLP was by far the best i've seen around, even better then plasmas and at half the price.

But I need to know if there's another reviews anywhere online, or whether anyone has this to tell me the plus's and minus's of the tv.

I got ocmet to print of a spec sheet and then it has addtional items and then I got worried cos it said something abotu cables coming to £999.99 no idea what that is all about.

The other thing is, does it come with a HD tuner, because some say HD-ready but you have to buy another box, do you with this?

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    don't think you needa tuner...only plasmas need one, as it contains all the dvi and component inputs, but their built into the back of the sagem...

3. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you say it's worth it at £1800, would b watching movies and playing games on it mainly

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    When websites like John Lewis say "ability to display high definition signals with the addition of a separate HD receiver (expected from late 2005", this doesn't mean that you need a separate tuner to run the TV, they are just referring to the Sky HD box being launched from early next year.

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV is a joke. Check the DLP forum for more information.

6. gim

gim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any picture sagem motherboard and front panel ?

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    HD-Ready is a European standard ensuring that external HD sources will work with an HD Ready display. It ensures that a display has the right analogue and digital HD inputs, a minimum vertical display resolution and is compatible with the right HD standards.

In the UK there won't be any TVs with internal HD tuners for some time, as there is no standard set for over-the-air HD broadcasting via an aerial. The first HD broadcasts for mainstream viewing (i.e. not Euro1080 which is on-air already) will be via Sky's HD platform, and this will require a second box, as Sky are not currrently offering an integrated HDTV+SkyHD receiver.

So - no UK HD Tuner - as you will have to buy a Sky HD receiver, at least initially. Cable HD may follow, but it is unlikely that we'll see HD via an aerial in the UK much before 2012.

8. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked and don't see anythign about the TV.

Stephen, so what your saying is, in a few years i'd have ot buy an HD freeview box, if they will exist which i'm sure they will do, then wait until it's broadcasted in HD.

If I get the TV tho and an HD dvd player, It will be in HD quality, without the need of buying another box to make it HD?

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Basically yes.

What you are buying is an HDTV Monitor, with an SDTV tuner. This means you can feed in external HD signals received via a Sky HD receiver, a Home Theater PC (for download of HD material like the BBC is offering on their iMP trial), an upconverting DVD player, an HD-DVD/BluRay player, a PS3, an XBox 360 etc. without any other purchases (apart from the right cables)

If (or when) HDTV is broadcast over-the-air for reception via an aerial (as it is in the US via their equivalent of Freeview (*)) then you'd need to buy an external HD receiver set-top-box for this.

However as this is probably over 5 years away you might be replacing your TV by then anyway...

(*) When the UK adopted COFDM DVB-T it chose to use standard definition and 6 broadcast RF channels to deliver 18-24Mbs per broadcast channel (or multiplex) - to deliver many extra standard def channels (each taking between 2 and 5Mbs each).

In the US they chose a different system - though effectively doing roughly the same thing - called 8VSB ATSC. However instead of using their 19Mbs to carry 6 or more standard def channels, they use each broadcast channel to carry a single HD channel (using HD MPEG2) and sometimes a couple of low bandwith SD services as well. Each analogue station was given a digital frequency as well - but it means that unlike the BBC, who can now broadcast many new services, local ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox stations can only really simulcast their single service in HD. So they get less choice OTA but what they get is potentially in higher quality.

10. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So no tv out atm even plasma's have an internal hd reciever?

Also what's the stated life of a dlp lamp, or what is the life for the sagem hd50 and how much do new bulbs cost, where can I get them from etc

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    HDTVs sold in the US, Japan, Australia and Korea have internal HD tuners, because in these territories there are HD broadcasts over-the-air that can be received via an antenna. In Japan there is also a standard for satellite broadcasting that allows for receivers to be built into TVs so Japanese TVs can contain satellite tuners as well.

However there are no HDTVs on sale in Europe with integrated HD satellite or OTA receivers, as there are no clear open standards for this in Europe. Sky will be proprietary - so will require a standalone box.

The standard for HD via Freeview is nowhere near clear - and it is unlikely to start before 2012 when the BBC closes its analogue services. There is no frequency space until then for a decent HD service - there might be broadband delivery, or trickled delivery of recorded shows, but unless they ditch some Freeview services there isn't the space...

12. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The life of the bulbs is variable, but samsung (assume wont be disimilar) claim 45,000 hrs, but this is probably before they pop, think that you could expect to need to replace a bit earlier to maintain quality. Cost, well very variable but have seen people get full set for c£250quid, which should restore set to like new. also cost will come down with more popularity=more suppliers (don't buy replacement from department stores as they are rip off.)
    With regards telly, ignoring the HD issue, as this TV is as HD ready as possible, I think that the picture quality for it's price/size is really only matched by 2 other rear-pros, the Themascene and the Samsung. As with all TVs you can find reliability/connectivity issues on the forums as mentioned by kmhtkmhtkmht above, and it appears he's had a bad one, and now seems to have forgotten that he must have been impressed to buy one in 1st place, however he's posted over 100 threads personally lambasting the product, so best to bear in mind that most mentions of this product in a forum will have something negative from 1 source. Sagem offer a free 2 year warranty, extendable to 5 for £280. Alternativly John Lewis currently do the 45 inch with free 5 yr g'tee, presumably will soon stock 50" with similar.

13. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this in Comet yesterday and it stood out because it was running an HD demo feed, whereas all the other TV's around it were not.

It was very good indeed and also of TV size for the money.

There is no way you could call this TV a joke.

14. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also at the left hand side of the tv, it's really hidden but there's a connector that I have no idea what it is. It looks as if it has like 25pins

15. karan_thakkar

karan_thakkar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    be aware the shops wont tell u but it takes like around a min or less to turn on or off. the remote is very week. :mad:
    but the tv is good not very good but good
    u can get may 2 computers attached to it one on vga and one of dvi 26 pin
    if u know how to get the refrest rate right i tried but i can get it to work
    8 out of 10

16. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's not my ad but there's a 45" in the classifieds for £750...a good saving if you're still thinking of buying.