1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D56B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by n00b, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just got this and set it up. All i can say is wow. I thought 56" would be too large for about 4m away, but its ok.
    I've owned the D45 but had too many problems so decided to go for this model. Its the same as the D45 in terms of pic quality, inputs etc. but i find this better with pure white scenes (like sky). The D45 had a weird pattern effect because of the antireflective coating, it seems that they've used less of the coating on the D56 screen.
    Also there are no side speakers as standard since the base unit contains the sub and speakers (2.1). However it still has the side speaker sockets so i assume you can buy the speakers seperately and add them but i have no idea why you'd want to :s
    Any other questions; just ask.

2. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Comet have mine on order for delivery next week (Where did you get yours?). I can't wait:thumbsup: and your report has certainly eased my concerns after the excellent PQ of the HD-D50:clap: :clap:

Can you see any contouring on clouds or sea scapes?

Can you see any waxing on full screen faces panning across the screen?

Are you happy with the deep colours and fine textures not blurred or washed out or too dark and merged in with the blacks?

I only had the HD-D45 to look at during my tests and none of the above happened there (except a very small amount of contouring if you look hard on clouds during the aircraft shot on the standard HD demo). All these were the key decision criteria for me which led me to the HD-D56 after looking at Sony, Samsung, Optoma (and LG) and the Sagem just simply won each time on overall tone and quality of picture.
    Many thanks and Cheers !!

:D

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    What prices people? Pics as well!

4. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can you see any contouring on clouds or sea scapes?

Yes slightly on clouds but i feel much less than the D45. Then again i can watch it in sunlight without reflections, so the anti-reflective coating is good to have.

Can you see any waxing on full screen faces panning across the screen?

I never used to see this on the D45 but i've seen it once since i've had this set, it was on sky and maybe just bad luck on a low bitrate channel.

Are you happy with the deep colours and fine textures not blurred or washed out or too dark and merged in with the blacks?

more than happy, its the same as the D45 in this respect. i haven't tried the video essentials dvd on it yet but will let you know when i do.

i've noticed there is a small line of light near the bottom of the screen, im not sure if this is normal, you cannot see it during normal use, only when the screen is black. like light leaking, but only slightly. anyone experienced this?

5. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the feed back and again for putting my mind at ease.:thumbsup:

What prices people? :cool:
    Comet have it at £2699 and whilst we have had a 'discussion' about prices coming down in the next 6 months as they have in the first 6 months of this year, they do not expect much movement. The cheapest price on the net I have found is quoting 2599 with 2 years warranty and 3 months bulb but this company is not close enough to me to make the difference in the event of problems so Comet have the order from me. Stock arrives 11th and gets allocated 12th July and they will be delivering right after that. :clap:

I will post some pics and my thoughts as a review soonest.:smashin:

BTW - there is some rumour that BBC will be putting out HD feeds later this year over terestial ????:confused: (new compression will apparently allow them to get it over the airwaves) ?????:confused: . I have also had it confirmed I think that Sky are starting their trials in September with select customers and a box from Thompson. :smashin:

Cheers :hiya:

6. robreloaded

robreloaded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was speaking to the guy in Comet today about this model and the cover what they offer. He told me that 5 years cover, would include bulb replacement, damage (accidental), the chip, and any screen burn. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that DLP TV's don't burn images into the screen :confused: . Anyways he was quite adamant that they do, just not as much and not as long as plasma's and RPTV's and "by the time you do burn an image in you'll need a new TV anyway".

Providing this set lives upto the hype so far, think I might get one soon from Comet.....that 5 year cover is just unbeatable.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    No screen burn on DLP.

Whilst I can't verify one way or the other what you say, I really do have a lot of doubt that an extended warranty offered by Com€t will be good value.

I would expect that either

a) getting the TV from John Lewis (if they sell it) would get you a free 5 year warranty, and a price match if necessary

or failing that

b) buying the extended warranty separately from somewhere like Domestic & General would be more cost effective.

Either way, your home contents insurance may already cover you for accidental damage - most do.

8. robreloaded

robreloaded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I'm just telling you what the guy in Comet said. His words were "we had a sagem engineer in yesterday and i had a word with him. he said that DLP tv's do get screen burn", seemed a load of bull to me but he insisted that he was right.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    robreloaded :hiya:

First law of AV: 1. Dont believe staff in electronic superstores :nono:

:D

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    I don't see how a spinning mirror can get burnt?

Regards

Mark

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

It can't :)

12. robreloaded

robreloaded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought, but seeing as I wasn't 100% sure, I wasn't in a position to argue. Thanks for info :).

Just out of interest (I've asked this before but received no reply), I'm looking to spend approx 3k on a nice DLP and so far I'm set on the Sagem HD-D56B. Anyone got any suggestions to change my mind? Or seeing as I wouldn't be getting another set for a long time after this, should I hold out for 1080p sets?

Thanks in advance

13. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have been keeping an eye on this set. just been in my local Comet and they are getting a demo model in within 6 weeks :smashin: so then i can take some demo discs in to test the beauty out, it does look a fine spec and is future proof :smashin: think this model will be the one everyone will aspire to own :smashin: No hard feelings Razor :smashin: i know 56" is to small for you :smashin:
    the price though for me is amazing £2,699 and willing to go down further :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: if i bought today £2,499 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: well done Comet :clap: :clap: take note Curry's :lesson:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.