1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D56 Deal!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Riva, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my new Sagem HD-D56 from www.avwow.com/index.html, and it simply blew me away! What a TV, great picture, great connectivity and a great price / service, the guys there bent over backwards to get me sorted. They are selling it for just £2425 including NEXT DAY DELIVERY... A Steal! I have found the viewing angle is better than the HD-D45 and it looks stuning in my lounge ( or cinema as my wife has renamed it!!) anyway lets hear your comments fellow 56 owners, are you just as impressed??
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Glad your happy Riva. [​IMG] ]

:D

3. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Always the way with me - spend a fortune and then someone gets a better deal in a sale (sounds like my normal Christmas experiences all over again!):( :smashin: ('always with the negative vibes moriarty'):nono:

I am not yet able to put hand on heart and claim the very best from my TV as despite playing around with settings, the pictures are all showing one thing or another and especially the RF feed which (although I usually use SKY) is not working at all well yet. I am so worried after waving goodby to the excellent HD-D50 that this one should be every bit as good or better with the new technology but to be honest, we are not there yet:(

I put a call in to Sagem/Philips help desk who were on the ball and attentive but they knew nothing more than me about the TV and could only send a message to the field engineers to get them to call. I waited and waited (which is very unlike me!) and was hoping for a Sagem engineer to call me what is now two weeks ago but then got told they were all on holidays, then - because it was a new system to the UK, they were still waiting to get trained, then a promise I would get a call last Monday - Still no call and still no resolution.:rolleyes: :suicide:

I am keen to get some pictures posted to show off the TV versus Razor's especially :D :D and all the other posts - and in truth, the DVD progressive PQ is every bit as good as the old 50" but the rest (inc PC linked screens) is not there yet and I am starting to fret.

I will give it another day then I will start getting a little heavy with Sagem as I had hoped to get a call, let alone a visit by now.:nono:

Watch this space!:boring:

Cheers

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Dunsters :hiya:

I didn't realise I had become a benchmark. [​IMG]

I would love to see your set up mate. :thumbsup:

Why are you not happy with your new toy? :confused:

5. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The HD-D56 looks the business. I have seen the HD-D45 in Currys and it looked very impressive with a HD feed, although pretty poor with the analogue feed. That put me off.

I like the design though with the speaker(s) underneath leaving nothing on the sides. It gives the illusion of an even larger screen.

How about the infamous 'rainbow effect'?

I'm considering the following screens at the moment
    - Panasonic PWD8 (and PHD8) panel
    - Pioneer 435XDE
    - Samsung SP46 DLP
    - Sagem HD-D45 or D56 (room permitting!)

6. scookar

scookar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My HD-D56 arrive a couple of weeks ago and PQ wise i am very happy with it.

Re: the rainbow effect, this is something that i have noticed a couple of times but it seems to depend on the DVD I am watching and how tired i am. Heavily ladden SFX films like the new Star Wars trilogy where there is a lot happening on screen tend to trigger it for me more than other movies. Also, it seems the more tired i am, the more susceptible i am to it.

So far it hasn't proved to be a huge problem - more of a mild irritant. interesting thing is that i didn't spot it at all on any of the DLPs i looked at in the shops which backs up what many have said on this forum about the effect of lighting conditions in your home, etc.

7. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am sure it is just teething trouble - or I got unlucky with a duff set but I am hoping the engineer will call and wave a magic wand:rolleyes:

The RF feed could not give a strong image for any of the terrestial stations - and almost nothing for Channel 4 and 5 which are usually the ones that give problems. I have manually tuned the stations and the set has a fine tune capability which I have tried but to no avail. I know the cable is 100%, I know the signal is 100% and I know the ariel is 100% as I have tried them all on a spare TV and (of course) they were all 100% on the good ol' HD-D50 whose BBC RF pictures especially rivaled the SKY version for crisp clarity and strong colours.

On Sky, I am getting breakdown on the edges of images of some (not all) pictures - especially studio pictures and the Sky feed for terrestial stations. I see it less on the movie channels. Sports channels are also very poor by comparison with the ol' 50 and my son was seriously unimpressed with the Cricket coverage (he was hooked on the last two tests like the rest of us). I know this can sometimes be the Sky broadcast (especially on football) but the TV seemed to exagerate any problems. The SKY menus are all fuzzy when they come up and sky info which pops up during transmissions is also poorly tuned. I have watched a number of saved SKY+ films and programs including TOP gear which is normally an excellent picture and saw what again I think can only be tuning issues but it was like playing through a poor quality graphics card on a PC (If you can understand me)

I connected my old DELL Lat600 laptop PC and tried to run a film via VGA (the set has a range of PC tuning features akin to Powerstrip which I tried to tune) and through the DVI socket. The quality was better on the DVI socket but the poor PC mobile graphics card was not doing it justice and still I got lots of screen tuning and motion issues in addition to DVD cut outs all of which were 100% down to the pocksy PC

My DVD films have been less of an issue but again not as sharp as the ol' 50" (or was it my eyes not being used to a 56" screen??? - I don't know) but I suspect there is a tuning issue there too which is being covered up with some clever hardware on the TV. either way, with DVD I say the image is 95% of the way there.

Due to the DVD playing so well and the variable picture I get on other feeds I am sure this is a set tuning issue which I hope an engineer will fix but lets see. I can see th epotential in the set via the DVD (Which why I am so gung-ho about it) but I really must get these niggles fixed soonest! :(

Well - you did ask!:rolleyes:

Cheers Razor:hiya:

8. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I could demo an HD-D56B?

I live in Berkshire and the nearest Comet store with one in is in Torquay!

Anyone know of another high street store (or other) that is stocking these beasties?

Cheers.

9. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am in Reading and both our stores say thay are getting one depending on who you speak to (don't know when)I could offer you my humble services but I would prefer to get mine fixed first. Send me a PM if you want:hiya:

Cheers

10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sagem axium 56'' would be a very good alternative to the Sammy 56'', in fact; just as good :smashin: :D

i've been researching tonight and this dlp is growing on me :thumbsup:

but is 56'' too big for my home, it's bloody huge :eek:...........i'll have to give this loads of thought..........all of 5 seconds......yea' it'll be ok :smashin: :rotfl:

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES the analogue feed on the Currys sagem 45 is total pants :D :D as it is with all their DLP's, but dont let that put you off.............the important point is the tv looks great....... it has a thin border and it's stylish underneath, it also has an excellent review on the web..its probably the best DLP out there! :thumbsup: i'm surprised i never noticed this DLP before :eek:

but the Sagem 45 is too small for me, 56'' only..........i dont like its stand, but i dont need it anyway...i'll find something suitable at Dealtime!

the sp 56 non-pedestal might not be available over here until next summer.....if so, it'll be this, or the sagem 56''

this will be a damned hard choice to make....ease of service/competitive prices etc, tend to favour the sammy 56''........the sagem in comparison, might be awkward to repair if it breaks down etc, there arent many suppliers online :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the tv i choose has to be easy to service, i'm too busy to fool around waiting for ages

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought it off avwow.com , don't forget you get 1% back if you pay by switch!

Can't wait.

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't forget to tell us what it's like....i took another look at the sagem 45 at currys today...........good looking DLP, but it's way too small....so it's 56'' or nothing...........they had a 60'' plasma there.....bloody hell it was huge, too big....so 56'' will be big enough!

14. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great tv, but i dont like its stand

Attached Files:

15. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey that set up looks cool.... :thumbsup: even the stand looks good as well, whats wrong with the stand? i see nothing wrong with it. can the glass hold a 25kg amp/receiver?? :D

:thumbsup: again

16. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Riva,

Based on your recommendation of avwow.com, I have ordered a Samsung SP50L7HX from them. They have the cheapest price I've seen for this model and, as you said, can deliver the next day.

Thanks for the help.

17. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Would some kind soul with this TV please post their settings for brightness and contrast. I can't seem to get rid of the whiter than whites on SKY, no matter where I set these two. :eek:

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance. :smashin:

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    One mans settings may not work for another, room lighting has a lot to do with it.

Best thing to do would be to get hold of AVIA or DVE to tune the picture.

19. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hello.
    I tried DVE and it made it even worse.
    I don't have a problem with DVD playback, just SKY. I've tried to get the picture right with SKY, then I can use the DVD players settings to tune the PQ.
    I just can't get the whites right.

20. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On your Sky box settings (services, system setup, picture settings), try setting your contrast to 'medium' as this reduces the impact of a poor feed and I think improves the PQ

Cheers:hiya:

21. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks Dunsters.
    I already had it set to low.
    I think "bright whites" are just one of the side effects of Sky+ and Sagem, because I was able to eliminate it on my DVD player. :eek:
    I've seen a Sagem 45" running the HD? loop, and I could see the same thing.
    Thanks anyway.