Sagem HD-D50H G4 input source detection

doggydaddy666

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
not sure if I'm just being a bit dim, but I can't get my HD-D50H G4 to detect my Telewest TV Drive HDMI input automatically. Getting pretty dull having to scroll through the inputs everytime i switch it on. I've got the input configuration set to automatic but it's not helping. Have tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 with no difference.

Any ideas?

It can't detect sources on the HDMI inputs, It does the same with my Sky HD box.

If you pull the cable out of the TV and stick it in again it will switch to the source, It's got something to do with what Sky and Telewest do with the HDMI when the boxes are in standby, it like there always outputting a voltage so the TV thinks the device is still there.

doggydaddy666 said:
Hi,
not sure if I'm just being a bit dim, but I can't get my HD-D50H G4 to detect my Telewest TV Drive HDMI input automatically. Getting pretty dull having to scroll through the inputs everytime i switch it on. I've got the input configuration set to automatic but it's not helping. Have tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 with no difference.

Any ideas?

Mines the same,but come on m8 you only have to hit one button to get a picture.:)

The TV does detect sources via HDMI.
But for some odd reason it doesn't with everything, perhaps it's something that needs to be set up on the connected device.
Sky HD has an option to enable scart switching I wonder why it doesn't have something similar for HDMI?
Even if you switch off Sky HD at the plug and turn it on it's still not detected.
Put everytime I turn on my PC it auto switches.

Yes I know it does detect just not with Sky or Telewest. It does with my PC same as yours.

If I turn the Sky HD box off and on at the Main or Unplug the HDMI lead the TV Switches to HDMI

Thanks guys - glad to know it's just not me. Shame though. Might have to get one of those Logitech Harmony remotes that switch everything on at once to the right settings with one button. Still I think that if that is the only complaint for what I otherwise consider an outstanding TV then I'm doing ok. Yet to see anything else that I can compare it with.

Forgot to Say it's no just Sagem our Samsung LCD in another room has the same issue.

sprattgraham said:
If I turn the Sky HD box off and on at the Main or Unplug the HDMI lead the TV Switches to HDMI
Yep your right, just tried it.
Hopefully there might something they can do in a firmware upgrade to control it.

I have exactly the same problem which, as has been said, is more irritating than the end of the world.
But is there any way of setting the Sagem to a default source when you turn the TV on? At the moment it always comes on as ANTENNAE - the Freeview I presume. But I don't use this at all what with the TV Drive - don't even have an ariel plugged in. If I could default it to HDMI that would largely overcome the nuisance.
A bigger nuisance, however, is the sound. It only cuts in about half the time I switch to HDMI. When it doesn't I have to switch to another source and then back to HDMI. Sometimes I have to do this about 5 times before I get sound. Is anyone else getting this - and if so is have you worked out a solution?

:lease:

Nope you can't set a default source when turning on.

Are you using the HDMI for audio or the SPDIF

I'm using HDMI to feed the sound through to the TVs speakers - no SPDIF, no cinema system or anything like that involved.

When the sound does "connect" what you get is a very short period of sound (and I mean a short on and off - not long enough to make out any words) then a second or two's silence and then the sound cuts in permanently.

When it doesn't "connect" it's just plain silence.

Sound's fine on all other sources (DVD - component: Video - scart) so it's got to be the HDMI signal out of the TV Drive, the Sagem not picking up the sound signal ... or the HDMI cable itself??

Pearly said:
A bigger nuisance, however, is the sound. It only cuts in about half the time I switch to HDMI. When it doesn't I have to switch to another source and then back to HDMI. Sometimes I have to do this about 5 times before I get sound.

Try muting and unmuting the tv, fixes it here and always seems to work so is less irritating.

Pearly said:
I'm using HDMI to feed the sound through to the TVs speakers - no SPDIF, no cinema system or anything like that involved.

When the sound does "connect" what you get is a very short period of sound (and I mean a short on and off - not long enough to make out any words) then a second or two's silence and then the sound cuts in permanently.

When it doesn't "connect" it's just plain silence.

Sound's fine on all other sources (DVD - component: Video - scart) so it's got to be the HDMI signal out of the TV Drive, the Sagem not picking up the sound signal ... or the HDMI cable itself??

It can't be the cable, otherwise you'd be losing the picture as well.

Devbod - tried that but it doesn't work. Shame! I take it you have this problem also?

TallDave25 - I realise both picture and sound go through HDMI but thought it a slight possiblilty only the sound pins were dodgy. Think it's very much the outsider, especially since once the sound is there it works fine.

I think the problem is probably to do with the "handshaking" between the TV Drive and the Sagem. But which needs fixing? Guess I'll raise it with both to see if they've come across it before ... and hopefully fixed it!

Pearly said:
Devbod - tried that but it doesn't work. Shame! I take it you have this problem also?

TallDave25 - I realise both picture and sound go through HDMI but thought it a slight possiblilty only the sound pins were dodgy. Think it's very much the outsider, especially since once the sound is there it works fine.

I think the problem is probably to do with the "handshaking" between the TV Drive and the Sagem. But which needs fixing? Guess I'll raise it with both to see if they've come across it before ... and hopefully fixed it!

Sorry, what I probably should have made clear is that HMDI does not have any "sound pins". The sound is carried as data packets in amongst all the video data. There are four pairs of data lines in an HDMI cable- if you lose any one of them, you'll immediately lose all video and audio.

So you can be certain that the sound problem is due to either source or the display, not the cable. Determining which one is not easy, unless you have a different HDMI display to compare against. As a starter, I'd ask each supplier to confirm that their product's HDMI compliance has been tested by one of the HDMI Authorised Test Centres :).

Thanks talldave25. I certainly didn't realise that. So it seems pretty certain it's nothing to do with the cable.

I'll contact Telewest & Sagem to see what they have to say ...

... though in the meantime I'd be interested to know if anyone else with this combination either has the same problem or definitely doesn't have it.

Thanks in anticipation!

Pearly said:

A slight variation of it. When switching to HDMI input (sky hd) there is no sound, even if sound was working fine before switching sources. Vary rarely (only once I've known about but my wife claims more) its lost sound after changing sky channels.

Sound is fed via SPDIF out to my sony surround amp.

Given muting/unmuting fixes it here I'm blaming the firmware in the sagem.

Good news mate.. kinda! I have the same setup - with the same problem. And its a pain the ass, sometimes I have to flick about 2 or 3 times untill the sound comes back on!! Mute'ing and un mute'ing does'nt work for me, just flicking between the sources works for me. Its damn annoying. I have another issue on mine, I have an upscaling dvd player connected via hdmi, and when it plays every so often I get a wierd `metallic' sound coming through, kinda like distortion, thats damn annoying too! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Hi All,

Vested interest in this, so just thought I'd drop my question in, see what people think.

sky-->Sagem via HDMI2
DVD-->Sagem via HDMI1, digital coax into spdif in on TV
Sagem-->AMP via spdif out
sky audio-->AMP via optical

Here's the thing, which I've spent hours mulling over, and still don't get what's going on:

Watching sky I cannot get any audio to the amp via the spdif/HDMI2. I have to use the optical audio from the sky box. I've tried setting the spdif source to HDMI2 in the options but I cannot get sound from the TV to the amp...I'd really like to use this as the audio source over the optical feed to kill any possible lip-sync issues...any clues as to how I could get the spdif working with sky would be most appreciated.

But wait...it gets stranger...(or have I just got it all wrong??? :) )

Watching DVD's I get sound from the TV to the amp via the spdif once I set the spdif in the options to HDMI1...but each time I put a film on I have to go into the options and set the spdif source to none, and then back to HDMI1 before it works. Again, any thoughts on why this is would be appreciated.

Cheers for reading,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

I am afraid that I can't help, but I can confirm that the something seems to be very broken with regard to audio through HDMI on this TV, especially digital audio.

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to get this to work. At one time I did manage to get audio from my DVD player through HDMI1 to work most of the time, but DD5.1 was very hit and miss and only swapping the SPIDF source around got it work sometimes. I never managed to get digital audio through HDMI2, possibly because on the older versions this was a DVI port, but who knows.

I have now fallen back on direct audio connections to my amp. Fortunately, both my Sony NS76 DVD player and Sky HD have variable audio delays, although I haven't needed to use the DVD delay to date.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for that - glad I'm not the only one that can't work out what's going on exactly! :)
Although I don't have any issues with DD5.1 or DTS through the HDMI1 once I set the spdif source to HDMI1 when watching films.

Oh well...think I'll leave it be and stop faffin' with it, might stop my brain hurting as well!! :D

Mark.

blasthand said:
I've tried setting the spdif source to HDMI2 in the options but I cannot get sound from the TV to the amp

From reading here and my own problems there seems to be a fault in the sagems spdif handling which surfaces in different ways.

As far as using HDMI2 for your source you shouldnt need to use the 'spdif source' menu option for your HDMI inputs. The menu option is to allow you to override the default sound source for a particular input and use whats connected to the spdif in/source instead. The digital sound is going via your HDMI leads so you actively dont want to associate the spdif source to your HDMI input as it will then ignore the digital sound on the HDMI connection.

Just thought Id bump this thread back up, anyone got any further with dodgy audio via HDMI yet? Im thinking of getting intouch with sagem about it, anyone got a good contact address?

Mick

Good luck with getting any assistance from Sagem these days. See the other threads on here, where many members have started to find problems with the way the set operates since having Sky HD installed.

It seems pretty clear to me that, since Sagem have decided to 'throw in the towel' on DLP TV and LCD TVs, they have little interest in getting invloved with the firmware updates that would probably solve most of the reported difficulties.

As for the SPDIF, I bought one of the very first HD-D45s back when they were first released. This connection did not work properly on my set then, so disappointing that it is still causing problems now. Perhaps they were a little ambitious in fitting the digital pass-through with built-in delay?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom