1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD D50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lyndon, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help?

New to all this, Bought a Sagem HD D50 from Comet as I wanted a large TV ready for HD. Everything seems just great. Until, while watching The Gadget Show on chanel 5, I was advised not to buy a TV unless it was equiped with a HDMI socket.
    As Sky anounced that you must have this adapter to view the new Hd broacast, early next year. I have noticed that the HD D45 model has a "DVI digital input integrating HDCP access control". Like I know what that is!
    Have I bought the wrong TV???

They did add, if you have a DVI socket this will do the same job. Glad to say it does have this.

In short is the D45 better or worse than the D50

All replies would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. ursinho

ursinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung HD945 DVD Player has HDMI OUT and it includes a DVI/HDMI and HDMI/HDMI cables to connect DVD Player to HDMI or DVI capable sets

So no problems to connect HDMI sets to DVI (HDCP) sets

Surely Sky HDtv box with HDMI OUT can be connected to DVI IN (HDCP)
    using this kind of cables

3. Sir_Baron

Sir_Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but the tv which i also have dosent have hdcp so having a dvd player with hdmi wont solve much... unless of course it kills the hdcp protection

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    HDMI includes HDCP - so TVs sold with HDMI inputs should be fine.

DVI can be accompanied by HDCP - but it is optional. (DVI is also a PC spec, where HDCP is not quite so relevant, but electrically the DVI and HDMI specs are based on the same data format)

So you can have a TV with DVI+HDCP that is easy to feed with an HDMI signal via a cable adaptor.

You can have a product with a DVI output and no HDCP present that can connect to and HDMI display with a cable adaptor.

However if you try and connect an HDMI output with video that is encrypted with HDCP to a display with a DVI (but no HDCP) input - you won't get a picture.

AIUI some SAGEM sets have DVI with HDCP - some don't. Check the threads in the other bits of the forum that deal more closely with DLP RP sets.

There are also issues with whether DVI and HDMI sets are compatible with 50Hz inputs - don't take it as read that they are - even if they support 50Hz analogue component (or composite/RGB/S-video standard def) inputs they might not accept 50Hz via DVI/HDMI.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it stands at the moment you will not be able to watch sky hidef when it arrives in 2006 unless Sagem fix the sets

6. Lyndon

Lyndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is an upgrade likley, if so how do you know when and what is available?

7. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The D45 is HDCP compliant through it's DVI interface, have a look in the DLP Rear Projection TVs forum for more info on the HD45.

BTW, I have a HD45 and it's fantastic.