Sagem HD-D45F Buzzing noise

nig451964

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently picked up a Sagem HD-D45F, the previous owner had changed the bulb on it and we have had three weeks of perfect use out of it.

Today it has started to buzz loudly, we still have normal sound and picture.
The buzz changes tone dependent on which input is being used such as HDMI etc. The buzz comes on about 5 seconds after taking it out of standby. I have tried turning the volume down etc but it is noticeable that the noise is coming from the left hand side towards the bottom of the case. I have tried taking out the bulb and re-seating it.

I have done some searching around and saw on another post a couple of people talking about a "wobblizer" which alternates the mirror to achieve higher resolutions.

I am intending on using a local tv repair company around the corner from me but it would be really useful to have some input prior to calling in as I don't expect he will know off the bat what is causing the noise and maybe you could point him in the right direction to get started.

Failing that, if it is a relatively simple fix I could have a crack at it maybe,

Thank you in advance for reading this and hope you can help.

Regards.

Nig451964.

Could be the wobulator. It's a small lense mounted on a coil inside the optical engine, that vibrates at the frequency of the input signal to double up the horizontal pixel density on the screen. I did a few tests with damping down the vibration, but never got a 100 percent fix. The one thing that did work was disconnecting the device totally, which gave a slightly sharper but more pixelated picture. I've got some photos of the piece and how to disconnect it if you want.

It also could be the colour wheel, the buzzing sound may be soon followed by a sharp crack as the wheel disintegrates. Replacement is the only option for that.

Last edited:
Could be the wobulator. It's a small lense mounted on a coil inside the optical engine, that vibrates at the frequency of the input signal to double up the horizontal pixel density on the screen. I did a few tests with damping down the vibration, but never got a 100 percent fix. The one thing that did work was disconnecting the device totally, which gave a slightly sharper but more pixelated picture. I've got some photos of the piece and how to disconnect it if you want.

It also could be the colour wheel, the buzzing sound may be soon followed by a sharp crack as the wheel disintegrates. Replacement is the only option for that.

Yes please !. I have just reposted on the main forum but I missed your reply.

I would be really gratefull for any information you have as I intend to 'go - in' tomorrow or the next day.

Many thanks.

OK, as requested, here is a quick guide.

To access the light engine, the easiest way is to go in through the front of the TV. To do this, using a torx driver, remove the screws around the back edge of the cowling, and the ones under the front silver panel. The front silver panel will unclip using a steady pulling force, although there are two clips on the bottom of the tv that can be released if you are having trouble with it. The panel will come loose, but as the speakers are still attached to it, you might just want to leave the panel sitting in front of the TV.

The front bezel will now be removeable. This will expose the front screen material, which is held in place by 4 metal strips. Using the torx driver, remove the top strip completely, and slacken the screws on the other 3 strips, so the plastic screen can be pulled upwards out of the front of the TV.

This will expose your front and back mirrors. They may appear dusty, but we'll clean them when they go back into the TV.

The back mirror is to be removed first. This is held in place by two metal strips at either side, and two plastic tabs at the top of the TV. Remove the 6 screws with your torx driver, and then carefully flex the top of the TV up to that the mirror comes free of the plastic tabs one at a time. Lift out the mirror, and store it somewhere safe.

Now the front mirror can be removed. There are 5 or six torx screws holding the plastic shroud to the cowling, remove these, and the whole assembly lifts out in one piece.

This should leave you with something like this-

Image1-Copy.jpg

Look in the middle of the light engine, I've circled it in this photo-

Image2.jpg

There is a silver plate held in by two philips screws, the wobulator is under there.

In this photo, I've removed the silver plate.

image3.jpg

The green circle is the wobulator. If you look inside the cavity, there are 4 screws holding it in place. You can try tightening or loosening these screws to lessen the buzzing, but the easiest solution is simply to disconnect the cable ringed in red. This cable will be hidden under some silver tape, just peel it back and pull the ribbon connector out. This will stop the buzzing completely, but with a slight loss of picture quality.

And this is a photo of the disconnected article, just for your information. You must leave the wobulator in place, otherwise the picture will be out of focus.

Image4.jpg

Note. You can actually run the TV with the light engine exposed, if you wanted to play around with the screws holding the wobulator. However, be warned that touching exposed metal contacts can be hazardous to your health. I usually wear latex gloves when working on these, if only to avoid getting fingerprints on the mirrors. If you put a plain piece of paper in front of the lens, you can see the picture being transmitted.

Reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly. However, this is an opportune time to give the mirrors and projection lens a good clean

When putting the back mirror into place, it is often easier to secure it loosely with the middle screw of each holding strip, then flex the top of the TV upwards to lock the plastic tabs into place one at a time.

Once your mirrors are back in place, take a torch and check the mirrors for any latent fingerprints or smudges. Anything on the surface of the mirrors will show up as a dark smudge on the screen.

Slide the front screen back into position, and screw back in the four holding strips. Fire up the TV and make sure the image is correctly aligned on the screen. If this is OK, then reattach the bezel, and then finally the front silver panel.

It shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes to strip the TV, the entire job is fairly straightforward.

I hope that little guide helps.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just a note to say thanks, I opted in the end to disconnect the wobbulator as I could not get it settle, the picture is a lot brighter but as you say it's clearly lower resolution. I don't mind that as it's only used for watching sd tv.

Many thanks again, it's stopped it being tipped!.

Nig451964

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom