1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Hd-D45 xorg.conf

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mapryan, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

I recently purchased an HD-D45 from John Lewis, and it's absolutely fantastic. I don't know how most people on this group are driving the HD content to the displays, but I'm using an AMD-64 Linux system running Fedora Core 2 with a GeForce 4200 Ti card connected via DVI using the latest 6629 NVidia graphics drivers. The system itself is running the MythTV application (http://www.mythtv.org)

Anyway, the reason for the posting, is that one of the difficult parts was to actually configure the XWindows correctly. So, I've attached my xorg.conf if it's of use to anyway. Obviously, I'm not providing a warranty or anything, but this works for me perfectly - no overscan or anything.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

Mike

Attached Files:

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    I wonder how some people think the HD-D45 is fantastic and I think it's bloody awful. Makes me wonder if mine is faulty to be honest! Are you telling me that there are no problems with the picture, no creeping bands of colour on peoples skin, no graininess and break up of the picture on fast pans. Watch the Striker WMVHD clip and tell me you see no movement/bands of colour in the background at all. I'd love this TV to be ok as it looks great and it's just the right size for me but I honestly think it has issues, if I could guarantee a replacement would be fine I'd go for that straightaway!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy

I can honestly say that I havne't seen the things you mentioned. However, I have all of the Microsoft HDTV samples downloaded, so I'll sit down tonight and watch it again to see if I can see these things.

The *only* thing that I found that took a bit of getting used to, was the frosted kind of look it has because of the anti-glare stuff.

Anyway, I'll have a look tonight

Cheers

Mike

4. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Andy i don't get any of those things you mention on good sources, when i watch hd clips i can't even see the rainbow effect. The tv is amazing imo apart from the slight overscan issue.

5. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully a widely testable PQ check.
    If you have SKY or SKY+ watch the news at 6pm on BBC1. There is an extremely large screen in the studio with a red surround. I find on my HD-D45 that the red area below the screen shows up quite badly and is not smooth at all. Anybody else see this distortion?

Generally though, a very happy HD D45 owner.

Sid

6. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Chaps, I get my HD-D45 on Saturday (if it turns up!), I'll be connecting my Pioneer DV-868 to it via HDMI, I note that the 868 is s'posed to be able to 'Upscale' the picture, is there any benefit to doing this?

AVnut70

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if any of the Sagem 45" owners who think the picture is perfect have seen a good demo of one of the better DLP sets, how many are ex plasma owners :devil:

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Better in your opinion St ve.

I have seen other sets, and am not a previous plasma owner. I have yet to see another set which offers the same combination of performance, style, size and compatibility.

Yes, the picture quality from $ky is very variable, but that is due to the source. Switching to a better source reveals, in my opinion, a picture as nigh-on perfect as is available for this price and feature list. Put the set next to a high-def plasma costing much more (a grand more for a Pioneer with the same HD-Ready specs) and the picture wins easily to my eyes.

9. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy

I've just had a look at the Striker file and it's rock-solid for me. The background images stay locked and I couldn't fault it.

The only thing I found even remotely like what you're describing is the "To The Limit" download. When the climber is hanging off the underhang, there's a large expanse of deep, dark, blue sky. This dark blue colour seems to move a little, but I think it's because the camera isn't totally steady and the display is just reflecting the input signal accurately rather then some fault in the Sagem.

What input are you using?

Cheers

Mike

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't comparing it with Plasma but with other DLP set's , i did see the Sagem HD-D45 showing the high definition trailers Magic of Flight, Formula One ect & the picture quality was worse than i see watching Telewest Cable on my RD50.
    The Formula one demo was very bad with faces looking unnaturaly bland. Another thing i noticed you had to stand further away from the set than i have to at home.

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    I'm beginning to wonder if my HD-D45 is faulty now to be honest. If it was a feature and everyone's was the same there is no way anyone could describe it as 'rock-solid'. Still, at the end of the day it's still got the frosty screen and there's no way I can live with that so it's gonna have to go. Problem is I haven't a clue at the moment what I'm going to get instead, thought the Sammy 50" but I think it's too big for my living room really. Plasmas don't seem up to the job in terms of resolution plus they're not good for playing games on really.... got some thinking to do!

Cheers
    Andy

12. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am as you know in the same boat as you Andy, the DLP i am thinking i might go for is the Themescene RD50, the R1 problem does not worry me as i only get R2, the only thing i need to sort out is a proper Demo.

13. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I agree that the 50 inch has a better picture than th HD-D45 but no HDCP!! Not much good if you intend keeping it for a while and hope to use for hi-def broadcasts. Also the 50 is far too big for my living room so the 45 has to be the one. That said, mine is coming from Comet so I hope it doesn't fall apart the minute I switch it on!