1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D45 - white line problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JTMoorby, Jun 19, 2005.

1. JTMoorby

JTMoorby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a HD-D45 from Comet about 4 weeks ago, and couple of days after purchasing I noticed that when viewing from around a 45 degree angle side on, from either side, there is a white line that appears about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the screen, however, it does depend on what is on the screen, if there is a bright part to the image at the same vertical level, the white line appears and shimmers along the horizontal axis. If viewing the screen straight on, you cannot see it, but from as you move to the left or right, the line becomes more apparent and is a right pain when watching in the dark.

I went back to get a replacement thinking a had a faulty model, and received a replacement yesterday, but to only find that the replacement has exactly the same problem. The guys who delivered the new one, asked what was wrong with the old one, I told them, and they said they had swapped quite a few out for people who complained of the same problem.

Is this a feature of the Sagem, or is it just that my local store has a dodgy batch.

I have also noticed that when people on the TV move their head quite quickly, there is a weird effect on their skin that can only be described as a soft of break up in the colour as if a computer had degraded the bit depth used. Where the is little movement, the picture is amazing, especially on landscapes and wide open spaces, the depth makes you feel you are there.

If these problems are common, then I have no choice but to take it back and look at getting a plasma, but comparing the picture to what I have seen on plasmas, I would prefer to have a HD-D45 without these problems.

How are all other Sagem owners getting on with their sets and has anyone else experienced these problems.

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    It's funny you should mention this 'white line' you are experiencing. I also noticed something similar on the demo HD-D45 in my local Comet store ! I think I saw it on the HD clip which shows a bit of Sting in concert ? Looking at the set at an angle from the side I noticed a 'whiteish' bit about the same distance from the bottom appearing in the centre of the screen. It wasn't exactly a 'line' as such & did not shimmer either. It actually looked as if the light source behind the screen was coming out of the screen hence the white light. I just thought to myself 'must be a lemon they have on display in the store'. Though when I was in there a few days later I looked at the set & it wasn't there..... strange :confused:

I'm sure it must have been the same HD-D45 on display.

3. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same white line on my sagem. About 1.5 inches from bottom and about 5 inches long in the centre of the screen. I believe this is to do with the design of how the image is projected to the screen. There has got to be a light path for the image to reach the screen and I think we are seeing a reflection/stray light from this path. On my screen I can only see it on a dark image and when viewing at extreme angles above or to the side of the screen. At a straight on viewing angle, even on a black screen, I cannot see this white line/light. I think every sagem hd-d45 will show this anomaly.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Never seen this white line on my set.

Occasional break-up of faces does happen on Sky. Difficult to tell if it's the MPEG encoding that the channel is using, or the processing in the TV. The same thing would happen on a HD plasma, probably more so, so I don't worry about it. Picture from DVD is pretty much faultless, tough I am using an up-scaling player at 720p.

5. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV - switch your sagem to an input with no source switched on so you get a black screen. Walk up to your screen until your 1-2 feet away and look down towards the base of the screen, you should see what we are talking about.

You may need a darkened room to see this though.

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'll take your word for it Dazzlercee. I've never seen this from any angle during normal viewing, so am not going to go looking for it!

7. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't blame you AV, I only noticed it by accident. It is not a fault or problem with the set, just part of the design. It is not visible at all under normal viewing so doesn't pose a problem.

8. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This White Line issue is a problem with the lamp alignment. The light from the lamp is slightly missing the main mirror and as a result the perifferal light is projected directly onto the screen giving this line along the bottom edge. This is indeed a fault and is most likley caused in transit by excessive vibration. I am on my 4th set and I still get this white line - Sagem are delivering my 5th set on friday directly from the factory acompanied by a Sagem engineer who will test the set prior to delivery and then once again when installed at my home. Hows that for service !!! Lets hope this time the problem is sorted once and for all!!

9. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I thought the replies in this thread so far reported where this 'white' was appearing exactly & it's not along the bottom edge !!!

If lamp alignment is the cause then why is the 'white line' which has been reported visible sometimes but not all of the time ??? :confused:

10. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've seen this white line on three HD-D50 I’ve had and also two HD-D45. You can only see it if you are standing in front of the TV and their is no picture on the screen. The TV I’ve had changed was not because of this white line.

I've also seen the same thing on Toshiba DLP and Samsung so it's not just on the Sagem’s, so I find it hard to believe that it is due the lamp alignment problems.

11. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Although I'm not an expert I also agree with this comment.

Surely if the lamp were to misalign in say 3 different sets then what are the chances that this misalignment would always be in the same direction causing this 'white line' effect to occur in the same place in all 3 sets ???

The lamp is housed in a unit according to the instructions for the HD-D45 which can easily be replaced by the consumer if & when required. The old unit is extracted & new unit inserted & there is no mention that there may be a need to align anything.