Sagem HD-D45 vs HD-D45S

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by inferno_, Jun 15, 2005.

1. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, first posting here. First up a big thanks to everyone who has posted on these forums about any of the TVs I've been looking at buying - its been a great help. Didn't realise what a numptie I was about TVs until I started seriously looking to buy a new one!

I've finally decided to go for the Sagem HD-D45 and went to JL this evening to place an order. :) I asked them to pricematch Currys as they are doing the set for £1799.99 not £1995 and JL agreed to check it out. I've since realised that the offerings are slightly different as JL have the 45 and Currys the 45S. Has anyone had any experience with this pricematch? Will JL quibble over it? Which is the better set to go for anyway? :lease:

TIA.

For info, this was my shortlist:-

Panny Viera TH42PE50
    Samsung SP50L7
    Toshiba 46WM48P
    Toshiba 36ZP48P

2. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that too initially but then read something about lack of Dolby 2.1 on the 45S and the lack of side speakers??

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The original HD-D45 has a built in subwoofer at the base and side speakers which features a Virtual Dolby 2.1 surround system whereas the base on the D45S just contains the main speakers. I think the original also has two tuners offering PIP and PAP, I'm not sure if this is available on the D45S. Apart from the above and the colour everything else is identical.

4. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that would seem to be correct having now found and checked out the Sagem website. Looks like Dolby is still featured by the 45S but not sure if its still 2.1. Hopefully JL will consider it to be the same set for the pricematch . . . . .

5. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL just phoned to say they won't pricematch because their Sagem is black and Currys' is Silver. :mad:

Obviously I knew they were different models (see above) but for JL to reject based on colour alone and not difference in features or even model number is just really infuriating.

Will I have any joy going back to the shop and trying to get them to see reason (ie threaten to take my £2k elsewhere) or will they just be happy to stick to their principles?

Should I consider buying the HD-D45S since it is £200 cheaper? Or are the differences in models and the extended warrantee from JL worth swallowing the extra cost for?

Thanks in advance.

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The obvious aesthetic difference apart from the colour is that the D45S is not as wide as the D45 because it hasn't got the side speakers and may be a better fit. If ths doesn't concern you I personally would spend the extra, to get the 5yr warranty and decent customer care that JL provides. After all it's only £200, much more than this and I would probably be driven by the cheaper price of the silver model.

7. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having got over the initial infuriation I do believe you are right Neil - the extra £200 is worth what I'll get from JL in terms of features and all-important warranty and customer care. I guess it comes down to I'm less loathed to give JL the extra money than buy from Currys. ;)

8. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hi Inferno et al, just my twopence worth, I looked long and hard at both sets and eventually settled on the 45S, my reasons were as follows, I already have an excellent system for reproducing Dolby Digital so the sub with 2.1 output was as useful as chocolate fireguard, the twin tuners are analogue so have a limited life span and finally as mentioned elsewhere on this thread the 45s takes up less space because it does not have the speakers attached.

Having said all this the HD 45 is probably the better looking of the two sets in the daytime but at night with the lights down low all you can see is the magnificent screen and excellent picture so no matter which one you choose you really can't lose.

9. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might just have swayed my decision if I'd read that earlier but this evening I went and bought one. :thumbsup: Decided to swallow the extra cost at JL since an extended warranty on a set from elsewhere would make for a comparable price anyway. There was no ticket by the TV and it turned out when they rang it through the till to be at a lower price of £1919! Bargain I thought (well, its all relative). The JL I went to today was Kingston for those who are interested.

Just got to wait for it to be delivered next Tuesday now. :( And get the afternoon off work . . . .

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be real happy with your purchase. :thumbsup:

11. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Be interesting to see how big it looks sat in my front room compared to in the middle of a showroom. Sitting here watching a 21" set right now so it'll be quite a shock! :D

12. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It will look too big for a few days. But then you will never go back.

I have a rear-pro 48" which is past it's best and wanted a wall-mounted plasma to save floor space, but for my budget a 42" is the biggest I could afford [50" plasmas are incredibly expensive]. So it looks like a DLP for me too. I'm not going to save much space over my CRTRP but I just couldn't go down to 42". And plasma screens are too reflective, see here ...I couldn't live with that.

13. inferno_

inferno_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for posting that, I feel even better for having gone for the RP DLP over the Panny now. :thumbsup:

When I was first looking I was thinking about getting a 37" Plasma but once I got looking around at the bigger screens that just seemed too tiny! ;)