Sagem HD D45 Vs 50 Vs Tosh

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mark H99, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my way back from Cornwall this weekend, I popped into exeter on the off chance of finding Richer sounds and seeing if they have the sagem Hd D45 in the flesh. I didn't get into RS but I did get into both Curry's and Comet superstores. Curry's had next to nothing and Comet to my suprise had all three of the above mentioned screens + the LG and a fairly decent sales guy who appeared quite knowledgeble.
    I've not seen either the sagem 45 or tosh in the flesh before and was pleasently surprised by both, the sagem just edges it for me but the tosh appears to be a better put together set.
    When it comes to connectivity, the tosh doesn't have a DVI input but it does have a HDMI, wheras the sagem is the opposite. I don't know what connections Sky will utilise on it's HDTV platform ??
    When it comes to stands, the tosh is nicely proportioned and has a solid feel to it, the sagem looks excellent on the the alphason stand though it sits quite high.
    The 50 inch sagem is just a little big for me and I prefer the look of the 45 with the speakers on the sides, but I'm sure all the sets mentioned offer execellent picture quality though it's impossible to tell from the shoddy feeds available in Comet. Price is another issue, Comet had both the Sagem 45 and the Tosh up at £2000 though the tosh includes the stand.

So my only real concern is what type of connection Sky HD will use ?
    Both sets look very good, for me the sagem just edged it, I'd already had a good idea I would like the Sagem but when I saw it I really like it, even my wife liked it. The tosh didn't really do anything wrong, I just prefered the look of the Sagem.

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sky=HDMI with HDCP

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,379
    But you can get a HDMI to DVI adaptor so if there's only a DVI input on the TV that's fine (as long as it's HDCP compatible which the one on the Sagem HD-D45 is).

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats cool, that was my only concern really, I thought the sagem was a very nice looking set. I'm gonna go up to Cribbs and demo it properly because it was very hard to get a decent picture on any of them. I'm gonna take some DVD's up and ask them to play them. Then all things being ok I'm going to order one, whilst I've got the full approval of SWMBO. I'm also going to check that neither her or me notice the Rainbow effects of DLP which we didn't today. Incidently on the subject of stands I've found a wooden stand that our local independant a / v guy offers (Mike Manning Audio, Yeovil) I've forgotten the name of the stand but I think it's polished wood possibly Cheery or Maple, that looks really nice. Also the guy at MM Audio told me he would try and pricematch on the sagem as far as he could, which cheered me up because I'd like to order locally, and he certainly knew his a/v when I spoke to him. Plus I'm hoping his customer support will be better than the big chains.
    So after about six weeks of reading these forums I've finally made a decesion, I've found these forums to be very helpfull along the path to reaching my decesion, along the way I've learne an awuful lot, (I didn't really know about DLP until I visited these pages) I've avoided buying a dodgy plasma or the Sony LCD rear pro I originally had in mind, and hopefully will spend my £2k on a TV that really suits my needs over the next 4 or 5 years. And to me £2k is a fair wedge so reading these pages has been a real bonus. :clap: :smashin: