SAGEM HD-D45 - Specs and Quality

B

bitmapped

I have been watching these forums the past 6 weeks with keen interest. I am probably one of several souls who haven't decided which DLP tv to buy. The good news though is that I have now taken the Sagem50 out from my choices - because it is not HDCP enabled. I have also taken the others (Samsung, LF, Optoma, etc.) from the equation, for reasons I need not explain.

I have now narrowed my choices between the Toshiba 46WM48P (or 52WM48P) and the new SAGEM HD-D45.

I have seen and tested Tosh 46 a few times. However, I have yet to see the new Sagem in the flesh - even the user's manual is still not available on the Sagem website. I do like it though because of its small footprint, HDCP-compliant, and should have a good improvement from the first 50-inch model.

I have a few queries to the owners of Sagem 45 :

1. For those who bought the optional stand, what is the height of the stand? Using the stand, what is the height from the ground to the lowest part of the visible screen?

2. What is the sound quality of the speakers? Is it at par, or better than the Tosh?

3. Is it compatible with NTSC?

4. What is the PQ of video coming from HDMI/DVI sources (dvd player)?

5. What is the quality of feeds from terrestial / analog / Sky / digital sources?

6. In general, are you happy with the set? Do you have any complaints or problems with it?

7. How good is PQ when viewing from a vertical angle?

Your contributions will help a lot. Many thanks indeed.

p.s. Also, do you know of any seller who sells these at 12-month interest-free?

1. The stand is 52cm high, 128cm wide, 36cm deep. The space between each shelf is 23cm. Distance from floor to visible screen is 72cm.

2. Sorry, haven't tried the speakers...

3. Yes, it's NTSC compatible; no problems to report so far.

4. My DVD player's connected by component...

5. Picture from Sky+ pretty good via S-Video. I'm still waiting for my RGB Scart to arrive. Progressive component from Sony DVD player excellent.

6. Very happy so far. Main complaint is that it's about 30 seconds before you get a picture onthe screen!

7. No, sorry...

Thanks PsychicLemur.

Anyone else who owns the Sagem 45, please contribute your and experiences, particularly regarding :

- DVI Input from an HDMI/DVI dvd player

- Sound quality of speakers (i plan to use the TV plain & simple, as less gadgets and wires as possible, maybe just a Digibox and DVI dvd player)

The DVI feed from my Samsung 745 is superb, no complaints what so ever.

I'm using the speakers for TV viewing and they seem to do the job nicely. The built in sub helps and you have an audio user setting to play with as well if you wish. For DVDs I switch over to my AV receiver / 5:1 set up.

Sid

blackwavesid,

My dvd picture through DVI is also very sharp and detailed...my problem is that it seems to have a green bias. I am almost sure this must then be due to the Denon 3910. Would be interested to know if there are other Sagem HD-D45 + Denon 3910 owners out there and what there experiences are.

Bruce

:thumbsup: So far so good with the HD45 it seems to handle NTSC well and I look forward to taking delivery of mine Friday.

Has anyone noticed any lip sync issues with the HD45 as I’ve sent back my RD50 for NTSC and lip sync problems otherwise I was happy and are sorry to see it go?

PS wonder why Sagem don't advertise NTSC compliant surely it would give them more of a market advantage?

John

No problems with lip sync. The manual recommends running a digi coaxial phono cable from your source (Samsung 745 DVD in my case) to the coaxial in on the HD-D45. There is a coaxial digi phono out just below which then goes to my AV receiver. The manual states that this removes any delay and syncs up video and audio perfectly and it certainly does.

Having said that, out of interest, I tried running the digi coax straight from the 745 into the AV receiver and still didn't notice any sync problems.

SKY+ analogue L/R audio to HD45 works fine for regular TV. Running optical out for films with 5:1 to the receiver and no sync problems to report.

Seems you should have nothing to worry about!

Sid

Bruce1310 said:
blackwavesid,

My dvd picture through DVI is also very sharp and detailed...my problem is that it seems to have a green bias. I am almost sure this must then be due to the Denon 3910. Would be interested to know if there are other Sagem HD-D45 + Denon 3910 owners out there and what there experiences are.

Bruce

Funny you should say that Bruce - I just found out that I was running in interlaced component mode; when I switched to progressive, the quality of the picture was slightly improved, but there was a definite green tinge to i, and the picturewas a little darker.

I don't know if it's my DVD player or the TV; I'll borrow a different progressive player off a friend at the weekend and let you know...

Thanks PsychicLemur

It could possibly be a combination of player and display. There are some issues with HD/SD colourspace....wonder if the Denon just exaserbates this more than some other machines??

Bruce

Thanks blackwavesid, looks like the HD45 has no real problems.
My RD50 showed lip sync on Sky News (new SKY+ box RGB scart audio on TV) and varied on other sky channels some good, some bad. It would appear that it is only Optoma that have this problem.

the quality of the picture was slightly improved, but there was a definite green tinge.

i found this pic in our friends homecinema-fr.com forum, and I also think there is some colouration. (green)

I found a french review on the i-net, where they say the display is fine, but doesn`t get the colours right and there would be few options not enough to tweak it.

4 stars out of 5

What do you say? is it true?
:cool: :confused:

Attachments

• Tv3.jpg
    Tv3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 246
I'm basically at the same point, but as it appears that the HDMI input of the Tosh does not work properly with a PC, the Sagem becomes the only choice ...

What annoys me though is that Fnac dropped the price, got kicked by Sagem and brought it back up !! :(

But I guess I will take it soon :)

I would buy the Sagem HD45 if it would not have this problem with the colours.

From what Steve told me the Optoma RD50 does not have a problem with the colours.
So this is the only other option.

But the RD50 is more expensive here in Germany. And as I think it will only look fine with the original stand it is an extra cost of 400€ :mad:

hifiboom

That's a pic of my TV (you'll find it in the othe thread on the HD-D45 I started). See here.

There is a green 'push'....but did not notice it when feeding a 720p signal from the PC (that is what the pic is showing). The green 'push' is there when a DVD is upscaled or de-interlaced by my Denon 3910 and fed in via DVI or component.

It is most likely due to SD/HD colourspace issues. How severe it is is probably dependant on the combination of Player and Display.

Bruce

I think it is probably the white balance on the camera. I'll have another look at the PC feed tomorrow but don't recall any green tint.

The main problem I'm having at the moment is dvd 720p through DVI, which has a green tint. As I said this could be mostly due to the Denon 3910...which has been known to have this problem....seems to be worse when combined with certain displays.

As far as other colour is concerned I am very happy....have managed to get SKY + through RGB scart to give a very good pic (not yet 100% happy so still playing). Dvd through the scart is also very good.

Bruce

Bruce1310, had my HD-D45 for nearly a week now and very happy. I also thought I have a green tint from my xbox and Pioneer 575 (it was very green). After alot of messing I found it was the red component lead had come out of the back of my av amp. Pushed it back in and all is fine, haven't noticed any green tint from DVD or XBOX since.

I still can't settle on a contrast/brightness setting. I've got my contrast quite low (40'ish) to reduce the odd rainbow I see in dark scenes. I admit at first I was looking for them but barely notice now. Brightness is at 50 if I remember right.

What settings did you settle on?

hifiboom said:
But the RD50 is more expensive here in Germany. And as I think it will only look fine with the original stand it is an extra cost of 400€ :mad:

hifiboom, how much is the HD45 in Germany ? (I don't manage to find it in german price comparators)

right now in France, it is stuck at 3290 €, which is about 300/400 € more than in the UK from what I can gather :cool:

Fnac had it at 2990 for a few days, then brought it back up ! (and the guy told me it was on Sagem request ... )

normal price is 2990€.

But I`ve found 2 shops(one on ebay and one on the i-net), that will offer it for 2699€ and this is NOT the hd45-s.

Look here

http://www.yatego.de/online-shop/p_...eher.htm?sid=6Y1107258126Yada6403ef0c09bef699

So Ithink this is a good price,
and after a while I think the design is also very good without the sidespeakers.

It has many features, and would fit very fine in my room.

The things they didn`t like in the review were:
-no advanced setting menue( gamma, seperate colours)
-a colour temperature that do not fit to the normal standard ( colourisation )
-missing overscan
-some studdering while viewing

Find the review here:

ed2k://|file|Revue%20Du%20Son%20-%20Axium%20HD-D45.pdf|1069178|C0CB56851A963C84148C0462CC4EBB41|/
Be careful it is in french

so while the Sagem will cost me 2699 and fits on nearly every stand (and looks good on many stands),
the Optoma RD50 only looks fine on the original stand(from my point of view)

Best price here in Germany for RD50 is 2999€ (normally 3400€) + stand (400€)= around 3400€

So Sagem HD45 is 2699€
and RD50 is 3400€

about 1000€ difference for my, but the RD50 seems to be the better set, but more expensive and with worse support.
While I get the Sagem for a very good price but has few thinks I do not like..... maybe not(?)

I dont care about NTSC judder problems, as I only got and will have R2 discs...

Hi Dazzlercee

I have settled on the following settings.

Contrast 35
Brightness 48
Colour 50

I think I prefer the warm temp setting.

Bruce

Thanks for the info Hifiboom, I'v read the french review (i'm french also ;) ) yes strange that there is no seperate colors tuning, maybe in the service menu ... However from what I have seen in the shops I liked the colors.

About the price, I don't think I would by this TV (or anyother) through a small web shop. I'm following the threads on the 45 on http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/ and quite a few people had to have an exchange for various issues (from problems with the cabinet to dead pixels or some PQ issues).

What is the price in Germany from the major retailers ?

(I get the feeling that it will drop in the coming weeks/months but at the same time won't be able to wait much longer !! :D )

@Alain 2999€ is the normal price.

I try to read the french review, but my 5 years of french in school didn`t help me that much. I only understood 50% . lol
What do they exactly not like in this french review......... hahah lol

colour temp seems much to high, etc......can you plz translate... lol

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom