1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D45 owners...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dave68, May 24, 2005.

1. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Im v tempted to get this set, however being a tightwad £1800 or so for a telly is a lot of cash for me so would be v interested to hear owners opinions of this set. OIve see it in several shops but to be honest until you get the thing hiome and live with it for a while its hard to make a proper judgement on a TV (IMHO)

Most of the time I watch SKY+ rather than DVDs so would be particuarily interested in feed back on SKY+ performance.

Cheers for any help

Dave

2. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

I have lived with the sagem for a couple of months now and I have been through three sets in that time. I dont however wish to put you off buying this set because I believe it is a great TV, and i also believe that the teething problems many forum members (including me) have experienced have now been resolved at the factory. So you should be able to buy in confidence, without the worry of a duff set. Sagem are very good at customer service nd have bent over backwards to ensure that I am satisfied with the product - and I am. Its a great set as I have already said, its future ready (HD) and has a range of features that are useful. The pcture quality is good on RF feeds, very good on SKY+ and breathtaking on DVD (cant wait for HD). I purchased my Sagem from avwow.co.uk (i think.. it may be avwow.com) anyway they are (imo) a superb internet company to deal with, plenty of aftersales support and prompt delivery. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me otherwise I would certainly give this set serious consideration and It is always a good idea to audition with a couple of your own DVDs in store. Currys have it in my local branch.. give it a go!!

3. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Dave, like Riva I have had my Sagem for a couple of months now and I cannot find fault with my particular set, I have read many horror stories from early adoptors of this set but as I understand it most of these people either returned the set or had the manufacturer update the firmware. I can only speak from my own experience and based on that experience I would not hesitate to buy the set again if I was making my purchase to-day. It is an excellent set that knocks spots off all but the very best Plasma displays which cost 3 times as much, I agree with a poster on another thread about Sagem having had enough time to correct problems in the set at the factory so you have a much smaller chance of buying a set with the same problems as the early sets, hope this is of some help to you.

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with the above comments, had mine for about 2.5 months now. My main criticism was the picture banding/solarisation via TiVo when panning. But when you consider what TiVo is actually doing with the many D->A and A-D conversions, it's not surprising.

I have now setup a HCPC using a Nova-T Freeview card. Picture quality is significantly better and I'm able to tweak it using FFDShow and various other codecs. My growing collection of HD clips makes you realise just what this set is capable of, and for under 2K, it's a tough act to follow.

5. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was an early adopter of this set in Jan/Feb this year. I am extremely happy with the Sagem. The only problem I had was the green tint and slightly dark pictue on progressive scan component input but this was soon rectified with a firmware update and calibration. Sagem offer very good customer service, I would certainly buy their products again, and I would buy the HD45 again.

6. vimes

vimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've to have noticed a darker picture when using component input and progressive scan. (I have a Denon 3910 dvdplayer).

Are you saying this was fixed with a firmwareupgrade?

How do I check what firmware my HD-D45 has?
    And what version does your set have?

7. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ta for all the info guys, v useful, i think ive pretty much made my mind up to get this set.

Chris (Riva) has recommended avwow.co.uk as a good supplier (decent price too at £1800 delivered).

Any other recommendations / observations re suppliers you may have dealt with?

Cheers

Dave

8. kilvil

kilvil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    vimes,
    The man you need to speek to is ANDREW GORMAN at sagem he will come and redo firmware and re calibrate your set foryou. Its well worth having done as picture is fantastic after . new sets are done at sagem before being shiped so should be no problems with new sets.

andrew.gorman@sagem.com

hope this helps,
    kilvil

9. sashton

sashton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I've recently purchased the HD45 but very disappointed in the picture quality. Using sky+ or my denon DVD-3910 as the video source the quality is very gainy with component, scart and DVI. Picture with motion is lacking a crisp definition, solid colours is speckled with white (snow affects) and there is shadowing. I've spoken to Sagem who are helpful but not offered a solution to my problem. They feel its an upscaling issues resolved only by introducing a HD source, hmm... And yes, cables swapped, DVD player changed for my old sony and the picture looks fine on my old sony CRT and my 15" LCD sharp.

anyone else seen this issue? :lease: help, as I've only got one more day before it goes back for a full refund...

sean

10. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sashton,

Im sorry your not enjoying your HD45, picture quality is often subjective what can look good to one can be both great or unimpressive to others, however your dlp when not running hd feeds will not be as good as a crt or lcd for picture quality. This is not to say your set is without fault - is this your first D45? You may cure the problem with a replacement set (it has taken me 4 sets to get a gremlin free tv). I have also found that the best way to connet is via component not DVI (until HD comes out over here). I also had to audition several dvd players before finding one that worked well with the 45, I ended up with a pioneer dv575 the cheapest player I auditioned but with a significantly better PQ than the rest (particually via progressive scan).
    As you can tell i really like this set but it is not to evryones taste - I hope whatever you decide you end up with a set you can enjoy.

11. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I had an Hd-D45 for 1 week back in February and returned it due to the following problems:

1. The dvi input wouldn't work - my dvd player upscales to 720 / 1080 so this was the main reason I wanted a dlp set.

2. A loud high pitched whistling from the power supply

3. Very bad motion blur on fast moving (action) scenes.

4. Not sure if this is a fault but in order to use auto source switching, you have to have the set configured to auto switch on / off when powering up any item connected. This can be a pain if you just want to use the dvd player to play music.

Do any owners of recent sets have any of these problems as I'm keen to get another DLP tv and the Sagen is the only one that looks good (who the hell designed the Toshiba / Samsung sets with non removable speakers)

12. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I can say for the samsung the hdmi does work :) and honestly i cant hear my fan running at the back unless i go put my ear next to it. Also the samsung does not suffer from motion blur at all. maybe to do with the 7 segment wheel. Samsung have done very well with this set.

13. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No whistle or motion blur on our Sagem HD-D45. In fact, we haven't had any of the problems that some early owners seem to have had. The picture on Sky is quite remarkable given the quality of what is put out.

The only criticisms I have are fairly trivial - there is some slightly excessive overscan, the IR command to select an input toggles, rather than directly selects (which is a bit of a pain with a universal remote), the IR codes are not compatible with Sky/Sky+ remotes and the fan could be quieter.

I'd recommend this set to anyone.

John

14. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After being on the verge of buying a plasma for quite a while I am now seriously thinking of going for the Sagem DLP instead. I saw one in Comet a couple of weeks ago with a HD feed and the picture quality was superb.
    Just a couple of questions however. I have NTL at the moment. Not sure if they have any HD plans in the pipeline. If not then I would probably switch to Sky when their HD package comes out next year (would rather stick with NTL if possible though). Apparantly you will need a HDMI connection for the Sky package. Having read the specs on a couple of retailers sites, either it doesn't have one or I've missed it. Could someone please confirm (or otherwise) that this TV will be able to show the Sky HD package when it comes out next year. Also if anyone knows whether NTL have any HD packages in the pipeline..........
    Many Thanks.

15. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Sagem HD-D45 has one DVI connection with HDCP Protection.
    Should work fine with Sky’s HD Box just need a adapter cable, HDMI to DVI.

I’ve read somewhere that NTL have plans of using ADSL+2 for HDTV Streaming.
    It is very likely that NTL will use HDMI with HDCP the same as what Sky is likely to be using.

16. cbridge

cbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Sagem HD45 for a month or so now.

The picture quality on slow moving SKY+ images is very good indeed. However, with high motion pictures, or particularly when displaying peoples faces the picture quality can be annoying.

I believe it's mostly just an issue of a poor compression technology/bandwidth from SKY+ box being exagerated by the large screen display, and the same issue is likely to affect most 'large' screen TVs.

But hey, you bought/are thinking of buying such a screen to watch REAL HD signals on no? not a compressed, relatively out of date SKY+ signal?
    .. DVDs look amazing, SKY HD should look v good too.

17. djcarlos

djcarlos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who owns a Sagem Hd-D45 and is a fantastic tv set and wipe the floor with my previous set LG px11. But i did notice one flaw it had a red tint on progressive scan via my toshiba rd-xs32 toshiba dvd recorder. And also gave a quick flash when not watching progressive scan. I reported this 5 weeks ago to the Sagem customer support centre and they ensured me i would receive a call within 48 hours. I thought great, a week later i was still waiting. So i called them back to find out what was happening, and they put me in touch with their service providers(TGS). I spoke to Matt really helpful guy who said he would need to speak to Andy Gorman the main man(This guy is the dogs, and is a credit to Sagem), as he couldn't explain what the fault was, he promised me a call back yet again and it never happened. Now into the 2nd week i decided to call Matt to see what was going on, he claimed he did been able to get in touch with Andy at Sagem, as he was in location i Vienna, so again it was a waiting game for me. Anyway i decided halfway into my 2nd week of waiting i would call Sagem themselves to explain the situation, and said where was Andy and i needed his help, she gave his mobile number(which i cant give out, its not fair to andy). Anyway after leaving several messages i eventually got through to Andy and explained the way i had been messed around by Matt, and was friendly and courteous. He said though that he would be able to sort anything for me for at least a week as he was on location in Vienna. He said he would have to bring his own specially calibrated dvd player(only one of its kind in europe)to calibrate my set, but he would need to speak to TGS first and he was actually scheduled to visit them, to see how this could work for me. He wanted to come all the way from London himself but is boss wouldn't let him. So we agreed that he would send the david and special board to one of his manchester engineers as they were the nearest to where i live in hull, and i would get call by the engineer on Thursday 23rd june, it never happened. Somehow the parts never got delivered, so he sent the parts again so i could get a call on Friday 24the (yesterday), and Andy did say the engineer would call at my house first thing at 9am as i was at work at 12pm. Friday morning 9am came and went, so i called TGS again lying through their teeth time and time again, they said he was just around the corner at 10.15, 10.30 and so on. They promised my the engineer would call me, the engineer had still not turned up by 1130. So i called Andy again, he couldn't believe it what at happened. So he got the engineer to call me, this was at 12pm, baring in mind i start work then. I fobbed my workplace off to wait some more, but the engineer was really cocky when i said i thought Andy said to you i was first call the morning. He replied 'Andy does not tell me what to do and i do what i want', he said i hope to be their within an hour. I couldn't wait anymore so i called andy to tell him about the attitude i had, again he couldn't believe it. So we cancelled the guy coming, and now hes going to sort me a brand new set out and calibrate it himself. So time will tell if my dilemma will ever end. Anyone one else had this painful experience from TGS. :mad:

18. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    By the sounds of it you’re got one of the first HD-D45 which had a calibration problem with the progressive scan component. I had three HD-D501 and Andrew came out two me twice, he’s a great guy he bends over backwards to help.

I’ve got the HD-D45 now and I’ve got the same problem, doesn’t affect as I don’t use component. Sounds like David was going to come out with the Formatter board. Andrew uses a DVD player to recalibrate the DLP Chip

19. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have these problems been sorted by the very latest HD-D45 / 50 sets. Any brand new owners out there? :lease: let us all know.

Cheers, Nat695

20. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The new G4 45/50 sets do not have the problem.

The problem with the old 45 only affected the first batch

21. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks sprattgraham,

Is there any other issues with these sets? What's your opinion of this set?

C'mon everyone share your experience's :smashin:

Nat695

22. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Nat
    Click Search and type in
    Sagem HD45

23. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Thanks Bat-man,

It's just that there ain't too many comments on the newer Sagems that have recently been released. That's why I was asking for newer owners of these sets to comment on them.

Nat695 :thumbsup:

24. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    The only regret i have about the sagem is listening to my girlfriend and buying the 50" instead of the 56".:D

I love my sagem.:D

25. Kidwhizz

Kidwhizz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi nat695,

As an avid lover of the Sagem sets (they are in my opinion and technical knowledge the best performing large screen TVs out there for the money!!) these TVs are awesome for playing games on and have an HD image that will knock your socks off!

26. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys,

I think my decision is made, I just have a few doubts about reliability from some earlier posts, more reassurance like the 2 posts above would be nice.

I'll also have to get the wife to understand that SHE wants a new 50 inch TV! :eek:

Nat695

27. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    You won't be sorry m8 if you go for the 50",avwow have an excellent customer service also so use them there excellent.
    :D

28. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :thumbsup: That's exactly was where I was planning to go! :thumbsup:

If I bought the 50 inch I would have to 'fit' it without the speakers because of the space where it will sit in(looks better without them anyway). Would I still be able to listen to the TV through the bottom speakers if I done so?

I have a seperate sound system anyway but the wife and kids don't tend to use it so much!

Nat695

29. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Use a Ysp-1 so not sure about the speakers m8.:)

30. nat695

nat695

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

:hiya: Well I just found out what a Ysp-1 is, looks like a nice piece of kit. I got a Sony DAV-S550 ;)

Does anyone else know about the speakers/sound?