Sagem HD-D45 - Line at rear of screen?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by blackwavesid, Apr 20, 2007.

1. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops, that should be - Line at bottom of screen!

Sagem engineer (Phil from Staffords) arrived today for the third visit with a new base unit to hopefully correct an issue that was reported last October. The problem originally was a visible 'line' of light in the centre of the screen about a couple of inches from the bottom of the screen especially noticeable over dark scenes.

On the last visit Phil had fitted a lens cap the result of which was to eradicate the line at the bottom but with a side effect of producing a shadow across the top of the screen for lighter scenes. Of the two I thought the shadow was less annoying.

So I've been emailing Jamie Brodie at Sagem for a while now trying to get rid of this shadow. The result was the visit today with the new base unit. Phil takes off my existing screen and pops it on the new base unit and as if by magic the shadow is gone but line at the bottom is back! So no further forward.

Phil said Sagem had accepted this line on original HD-D45s as a draw back of the technology used at the time and that it had always been there but I certainly can't remember seeing it for the first 12 months! Phil also said he has yet to see an original HD-D45 without this line!!

So my question is, before I email Jamie Brodie back, has anyone out there got an original HD-D45 WITHOUT either fault listed above?

Thanks

Sid

2. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Any chance we can see a picture

3. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    is it the line at the top of the os menu showing u which input youre usine ie scart/av5?

4. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sprattgraham - unfortunately I don't have a decent digital camera to take a picture with.

jelly - the line is horizontally through approx the middle of the input selector box.

5. TCM2007

TCM2007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can see a faint curve of light twoards the bottom of teh screen but only if I view it from much higher up than the optimum viewing angle; perhaps something is misaligned in yours so you see it when lower down.

6. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TCM2007

Yep, I could see the line at a 90% angle, and to confirm, yours is an original HD-D45?

Sid

7. silversmurfer

silversmurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with mine - which was eventualy replaced with a HD-45G4 (or whatever the model with the twin hdmi ports) - and the problem is back on this one only worse!

depends on the viewing angle but there is a definate line at the bottom centre of the screen about an inch up from the edge.

Thinking of logging another call with TSG as Sagem have a 3 year warranty

has anyone out there got a sagem without the line!?

8. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I REALLY need to hear from any original HD-D45 owners with a set without this line at the bottom of the screen. I suspect SAGEM are going to refuse to do anything about this as they'll say it's a known artefact of the technology at the time.

Need some leverage!!!

9. RorschachUK

RorschachUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've an original HD-D45 and I can see such a line at the bottom of the screen (actually a bounded rectangle looking like a faint halo of light around a ruler resting on the bottom edge) but only when standing up and walking up to it and looking at it from above, it's not in any way visible at all from a normal seated viewing angle, no matter how dark the image. The only time I'd be watching from that angle is when playing Guitar Hero II! My TV stand top is 15" off the ground, if that's significant at all. So yes, does sound like a known artefact of the technology unfortunately, unless it's still visible when you're sat down.

10. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rorschach UK

I know exactly what you mean by the rectangle halo effect. Unfortunately I can see it at a 90% / eye level viewing angle. I certainly wouldn't have an issue with it if it was only visible while standing over the TV. Good to hear though that yours is OK at a normal viewing angle, that may help me validate my complaints to SAGEM.

11. tedfisk

tedfisk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally had this problem, except mine was visible from a normal viewing angle and was quite apparent in dark scenes etc.

Sagem eventually agreed to change the set but they gave me a reconditioned unit and now, barely 1 year on, I have a far worse problem with the set refusing to work at all :(

(I have posted about this on another thread in case anyone has any good advice here).

Anyway, regarding the problem at hand, Sagem originally said that it was due to light escaping from the inside of the set and making its way through to the viewing portion of the screen. I hoped they would put it right on my set as you never know what has been wrong with the reconditioned replacements. So, my advice would be, if it isn't intruding on your viewing as it is, don't change it. Otherwise you end up having to watch updates of West Brom v Derby on the 'net.

12. shandypants5

shandypants5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I had the same rectangle on my hd-45s
    and it was visible from normal viewing... I never got around to complaining about it (no one else in the family even noticed it)

But now at 18 months old the tv has failed alltogether.
    Replaced lamp and fuse and still no tv..
    Am in the proccess of trying to convince sagem to send an engineer.. but these forums are filling me with dread. sagem dont seem to have very good aftersales care do they????