1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD D45 / John Lewis / Warranty/lamps

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dave68, Feb 12, 2005.

1. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im very tempted to get one of these sets and ive read somwhere on this forum JL ofer a five year warranty. I popped into JL in WGC today and they confirmed this. (they also confirmd they have 18 in stock for anyone thats interested)

Additionally the salesman also confirmed that Lamps are included within the warranty, although Im not about to just take his word for it!.

Anyone any direct experiences of this with JL and/or other retailers? Ive seen a few threads on this some stating lamps are definitly included, others suggesting otherwise....

I like the set and prepared to pay the price, however on a lifecycle costing basis its looks less good value if i have to stump out £200+ for a new lamp every couple of years (or worse). If however im covered for that for 5 years then Im happy...

ta for any help

Dave

2. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really no one on here got any experience of this?

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Much as I hope it is true, I cannot see the ecomic justification for JL to include (unlimited?) replacement lamps in their warranty.
    Over 5 years you are likely looking at least 2 replacement bulbs with normal use (5yearsx365daysx6hours/3000 hour lamp). Given they have to factor other repairs into their warranty costs, this looks very generous.

Great if they do they. Makes any small premium they charge on the price well worth it.

4. godzuki

godzuki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where can you buy the replacement bulbs? can you fit them yourself? How much do they cost?

I must admit that the short 3000 hrs lifespan of these tvs is the only negative thing about these tvs.

Has anyone heard anything official from sagem themselves?

Thanks in advance

john

5. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if your looking to purchase the hd-d45 from jl then go for it, the bulbs are included with the five year warranty, they have some sort of agreement with sagem. but they wont include the bulbs on any of the other dlp sets ( tosh and samsung ) just get them to write it on your receipt then your completely covered.

6. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the Sagem lamp life was 8,000-10,000 hours under normal usage.

Edit:

"...the lamp designed for a generally observed lifespan of 8,000 hours "

Taken from Sagems website.

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    That makes the Sagem a pretty good deal then from JLP. Reasonable price, full warranty, and fixed running costs for 5 years.

8. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Thats probably why they will cover them. If we say 5 hours a day for 300 days a year (not used everyday, holidays etc) then that is 1500 hours/year for 5 years is 7500 hours, so I would assume they have factored the cost of 1 bulb into the cost and I would bet a lot of people wont even use it that much and therefore not need any bulbs. Also is the 5 year warrenty transferable, if not I would think that would remove the burdon of the warrenty in 2-3 years time as a lot of people buying a DLP rear pro at this point will probably upgrade sooner rather than later.

I was originally concerned about my useage when I got my projector, but it is amazing how little hours I have clocked up (although I dont use for all my TV viewing, which I would with a rear projector).

But still John Lewis offer a good service from what I have seen and read, and considering some people have been put off rear projection due to the bulb costs it is nice to know there is a place to get service as well as the goods.

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    so what magic do Sagem use to make their bulbs last 2 or 3 times the conventional wisdom?

10. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info guys. I shall indeed get them to write it on the receipt.

Sounds like deal i cant afford to miss out on..! Now must speak to er who must be obayed... :)

Dave

11. Dazzlercee

Dazzlercee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loz, I may be wrong but a rear pro TV should require less lamp output power than a fully blown projector as the images do not have to be projected as far, and therefore the lamp can be designed to last longer.

12. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Loz, the Optoma RD50/RD65 also have a projected lamp life of 8-10 thousand hours from what I recall. I nearly bought one before the NTSC problems came to light.