1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D45 Connections

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Riva, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

As a first time poster and newbie to all this please be patient with my ramblings.

I have just purchased the new Sagem D45 and am a little dissapointed with the picture quality (even when viewing dvds) and it is very much hit and miss when viewing Sky+ (some channels better than others). Can anyone help me with possible solutions. I have connected the Sky plus into AV1 via scart, the dvd via RGB, and the surround sound straight from my dvd player via digital coaxial. I get quite alot of lipsync problems in addition to often poor picture quality. I have considered changing DVD players (can anyone offer sugestions as to which one to get) and also changing the interconnects. Which is the set up that works for you guys with this tv?? PLEASE HELP - took a while to convince the wife we needed a new Tv, having more trouble now it lacks the expected performance.

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got mine this morning from JL, so I've only just unpacked it. Speakers are a right pain to attach!

I've got a TiVo and 2nd Freeview box connected via SCART. I too have noticed a slight lip-sync, but I need to check the other channels.

Think I'm going to need to tweak the TiVo as the picture can look a little blocky sometimes, even on high quality.

3. Pepe

Pepe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried connecting your DVD via component?

4. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PEPE,

I thought RGB was component?? If Not then what is component a connection?

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Mine has apparently arrived from JL this morning too, did they call me to arrange a convenient delivery date , nope! Good job my wife was in to accept it! Going to be a long afternoon at work now.... I can see I'm going to have some connection 'problems' , can anyone please advise me how best to connect this lot up to the Sagem AND ALSO a Sanyo Z3 projector?

HTPC - currently DVI to the Sanyo Z3, would ideally like to run DVI to the Sagem as well, what's the best product to get to enable me to do this?

Sky+ - currently S-video output going to HTPC and RGB scart output to my current TV, plan on leaving things the same really in that respect. Also optical digital goes to my Denon amp, this is where I think I could have problems i.e. with Lipsync.

Pioneer 575A dvd player - currently component to Denon amp and from there to my current Tosh TV. Also coaxial digital to Denon amp. Not bothered about using this on the projector as use my HTPC for dvd playback on the projector. Again plan on leaving this connection alone i.e. run component from 575A to Denon amp and then onto the Sagem component input. Again though... lipsync issues I presume?

X-box - Currently component to Denon amp so will leave that the same. Optical digital to Denon amp as well... Another source of lipsync issues then?

Basically I think where the issues lie is with audio sync to be honest. As far as video connections go it's pretty done and dusted (apart from the HTPC connection to the Sagem which as I said would ideally be DVI but I'm already using that on the projector). I can't see how I'm going to get perfect lip sync on the Sagem and also on the projector. Am I fighting a losing battle here or is there a way?

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

I hope you have more sucess in getting the desired picture quality, I would be interested in your comments. Can you suggest a suitable dvd player for the Sagem 45?

rgds

Chris (RIVA)

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Chris,
    First of all don't base your assessment of what this set is capable of from viewing of Sky channels as a lot of them are rubbish to be honest and on a screen this size that's going to be immediately apparent! I bet once you see some hidef material on it, if not now then why Sky hidef starts you'll have a big smile on your face then! As for Dvd players, what budget are we looking at? You considered a HTPC at all, the Higrade DMS2 is getting good comments and will give you excellent dvd playback and the ability to play high definition stuff now. Personally I think you're much better off going for something like that with a screen like this than spending that sort of money on a dvd player.

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

Have a budget upto approx £300, would HTPC be available at this price? and would it really make that much difference? (sorry - told you I am new at this) - I am currently using a Toshiba SD-240E DVD player.
    Chris

9. ReviewMonkey

ReviewMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Riva

A decent (and quiet) home theatre pc is going to cost you in the region of 1k - particularly if you want one which fits in with your av set up and has ample storage space. These are still are relatively new products and will no doubt come down in price in the near future. For the time being, you are better off investing say £100 in a Samsung D745, which has a DVI output and upscales dvd pictures to the HD45's native 720p resolution. I have invested in one of these myself and the picture quality is excellent. I also highly recommend using a DVE disc, or the THX optimizer included on discs like Star Wars II, to set up your picture - this results in an huge improvement in picture quality over the standard settings you are provided on opening the box.

10. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that ReviewMonkey!! The DVD players I am currently looking at are - Denon DVD-1910, or the Pioneer DV-575A, havent really looked at the samsung models. What TV are you watching your Sammy through? - And what connections have you used?

Cheers

Chris (Riva)

11. Pepe

Pepe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I though that you were referring to AV1, Av2 or Av3 when you said RGB since those 21 pin sockets are usually referred to as Scart or RGB. By component I meant the Y Pr Pb (it is Av5), using a component cable is supposedly the best way to obtain the best possible picture, especially if you have a DVD that supports progressive mode.

12. Pepe

Pepe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, on the other hand, I do not know what did you exactly mean by lipsync, but you may want to try to low the sharpness and activate the economic option from the menu, this will reduce the ultra sharpness and “overcontrast” of this set and help you obtain a picture closer to the one you are used to.

13. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    Hi,
    Ok, if the budget is £300 then that rules out a HTPC really. As has been mentioned look at something that has a DVI or HDMI output and upscales to 720p which is the native rate of the TV e.g. Samsung 745. That should give you some very good results.

Cheers,
    Andy.

14. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi Riva,

Others may also answer this as well, but lets start with your DVD.

Does your DVD have a DVI connection? A cheap-ish model such as the Denon 1910 has this (about 180 quid from unbeatable.co.uk). You connect this to your TV DVI input (PC2).

For lip-sync, takea digital coax cable from your DVD and place this into the SPDIF/IN at the back of the TV. If you have an AV-Amp, then take another digital coax lead from SPDIF/OUT to your amp.

As for TV, I am also looking into ways for best setup and have myself posted a thread here for opinion.

If you have no av-amp, then use an RGB Scart lead from your Sky box into the TV for best result. If you have an av-amp, then keep reading here or i'll let you know later (my set is being delivered tomorrow ) !

Daz

15. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Daz,

I take on board your comments and have ordered a Denon 1910, (originally opted for the panny S97, but changed my mind after reading What HI-Fi sound and vision) so ill try it via the DVI-D connection. With the lipsync issue I cannot use the SPDIF to compensate for the delay as my digital coaxial cable is too long ( I beliveve that 7M is the max length cable it will operate on and mine are 10M - big lounge!!). I am therefore forced to manually input a delay on the surround amp to compensate - not perfect but good.

Cant wait to try the Denon!

Chris

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,074
    What you actually base your buying decisions on what What Hifi say? Might I suggest that's not the best way to decide what to buy!

Cheers,
    Andy.