Sagem HD-D45 (Component Inputs)

khanman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just connected my dvd recorder to my Sagem by component video via Monster Component Cables but cannot get a decent picture. It is very blurry with a green tint. I have altered the settings on the DVD to YUV output and progressive ( I hope this is correct) but I cannot achieve a good picture. I have been using a Monster Scart Cable up to now but from what I have read and heard I should be able to obtain a better picture from component video cables. Other settings I have are Pal 1 for the tv default. Can anyone shed some light as to where I am going wrong. Also, as I am relatively new to all this do I need another cable to transfer the sound from the DVD to the TV.

Thanks......

Regarding the green tint. Check your connections are not crossed over and that they are secure. I too had a green tint and after a lot of checking I discovered the red component lead had come unplugged from my av amp (too much messing with cables). Once plugged back in everything is fine, although NTSC dvds seem a tad darker then PAL.

Component connections do not carry sound so you need to take the sound from your dvd player to your tv or av amp if you have one.

I've had a similar problem. On progressive output, the picture is dark, with a muddy greenish tint to it, although I thin kthe detail is there... Works perfectly on interlaced output. I borrowed a friend's (different model) DVD player, and had the same problem.

I'm going to give Sagem a call, and see what they suggest...

Hi there guys.

I am having the same issues. I have spoken to Sagem and I have an engineer coming out. Please let Sagem know. They are extremely helpful and will do all they can to find a solution.

B.K.

Hi

Got my Sagem HD-D45 yesterday and had the same problem!

Managed to get a workaround, turn off progressive scan then it works fine.

Didn't have this problem with my Sagem HD-D50?

Could it be something to do with the HCCP Encryption?

I'd be intrested in Sagems response if PsychicLemur could post it here!

The setup I've got is Arcam DV79 to a Arcam AVR300 to the Sagem all via IXOS component leads

Hi Cobraman

Give Sagem a call on 01784 898 158....ask for Audio-Visual support. The more aware Sagem are of the problem, the more likely they will be able to find a solution.

B.K.

I will try mine again tonight although I don't think I have the problem. I am using a Pioneer 575 for DVD progressive output through Profigold component leads.

Is the green tint/dark screen glaringly obvious?

Toy Story should show it up well if it's there. I'll have a look later.

OK, I've just checked the difference between progressive and interlaced output from my Pioneer 575 and there is a definite difference. With progressive the output is definately less bright and has a very, very slight green tint (hard to tell it could just be a duller image).

I can overcome this problem by adjusting gamma, hue output of the player.

I've been waiting for reviews on this product before I buy one.
My new lounge is almost finished and this is the product I've had my eye on.

Do you still think it's the best DLP out there for around 2k?

What's the best price around for this TV?

Also is this green tinge a problem with the hardware?
Do you recon Sagem will fix the problem or will it be a problem that we will have to live with?

Bruce, see if you can get the Service Menu codes off the engineer (or watch him very closely). If the problem can be solved this way we could possibly do it ourselves. :smashin:

I am considering picking up a D-45 tomorrow, though would much appreciate some additional info first. From the threads, particularly this thread, the green tint issue appears to be limited to the component connection. I plan to hook up my dvd player via the DVI, and therefore would be very grateful if current owners would confirm whether the DVI connection presents the same green tint issue?

For others in London who are considering buying this set, I have been informed by John Lewis that there is currently a display model on show at the Bluewater branch, and that they have 'plenty' in stock.

Thanks

ReviewMonkey, I have my PC connected thru DVI and sometimes use zoomplayer/ffdshow etc to watch DVDs. There is no green tint problem, and even thru component, from my Pioneer 575, it is very slight.

ReviewMonkey

Also use the DVI output from my Samsung HD745 DVD player and no problems with green tint.

All the best

Sid

ReviewMonkey

You won't fit it in your Mini you know!

I have similar problems with my HD-D45. In progressive mode the picture from my Pioneer DV-575 is darker than in interlaced mode and has an ever-so-slight green tint to it. Interlaced mode through the component connections is fine. I've managed to iron out most of the picture problems using a combination of player and TV display settings, but I'll be calling Sagem at some point to see what they say. Other than that I'm very happy it.

Hi

Just had Sagem support on the phone that admitted a few people have had this problem, but don't know if its a batch of faulty TV's or a compatablity problem!

They are delivering another HD45 tomorrow and their engineer is coming to pickup my existing set on Sunday and to have a look at the problem!

I guess if the new set works then it's a fault with the unit :thumbsup: else its a compatiblity problem with my Arcam DV79 :mad:

Hi

The second set Sagem sent me had the same problem, the engineer who picked it up said he had seen this problem with several different DVD players and they had the head of development coming over from France to investigate!

It looks like a compatiblity issue with some DVD player, anybody else with this problem know what deinterlacer chip is in their DVD player?

Arcam use the Zoran Vaddis 5 chip, just wondered if it's an issue with this chipset?

Cobraman said:
It looks like a compatiblity issue with some DVD player, anybody else with this problem know what deinterlacer chip is in their DVD player?

I don't think it's just specific DVD players - or if it is, it's a lot of them! I've had the problem with a top-of-the-range Sony, a Momitsu (cheap far-east, but plays mpeg4 files ;-) and my XBox (I've now got it chipped so it will output 480p and 720p...)

PsychicLemur said:
I don't think it's just specific DVD players - or if it is, it's a lot of them! I've had the problem with a top-of-the-range Sony, a Momitsu (cheap far-east, but plays mpeg4 files ;-) and my XBox (I've now got it chipped so it will output 480p and 720p...)

Which chip did you get for your XBox ?

CTD

Cobraman - any reason for not using HDMI-DVI on your screen from the Arcam?? Better picture and avoids any issue with progressive component input.

Just got off the phone with Axium. The bloke I spoke to said the details of those who've reported the issue have been passed on to the Sagem tech team; but they are currently baffled.

Apparently it is only users in the UK who are having this problem - everywhere else in Europe the sets are working fine. Which suggests to me that it might be a problem arising from the power supply, as the sets are identical apart from the rating of the power supplied...

Chorlton Dragon said:
Which chip did you get for your XBox?

It's the Xenium ICE (solderless installation version). Fitted it myself in about 30 minutes...

Hi Liam

Tried HDMI cable with the 50" Axium I had and it didn't work (50" is not HDCP complient), so went for component cables. Now I've swapped the 50" for HD45 I can't justify scrapping £70 worth of component cable and buying an HDMI cable.

The Sagem engineer was meant to bring one down, but forgot! If I'd seen one in operation and it cures this problem I might be tempted.

Purchased one of these cables at the weekend to try and improve picture quality from Denon 2910 DVD Player to Sagem HD-D45. Noticed a slight improvement in picture quality over the component leads as I do not get the "Green tint" that I was experiencing when running through component leads with the DVD set to progressive.

Now that I have a DVI D to DVI D connection is there anything else I should do to the settings on the DVD player to improve picture quality. Should I run at progressive or interlaced and should I up the output to 720i or 1080i on the DVD. Will this make any difference when watching normal region 2 DVD's.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom